1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 07:20
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Yet there are still some people who say: There is no moon!
    You spell poorly.

RJHinds are spelled with an "r" between the "o" in "moon". And he exists, regrettably.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 10:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think atheists in the real world have a stronger case than people in my OP world who say there is no moon! But of course, religionists would probably beg to differ! 😀
    I have been to the moon and have brought back with me a very nice collection of moon rocks that are very precious to me.

So precious, in fact, that only a few people (my wife and children, for example) know about them, and I would never ever even consider flaunting them on RHP.

However, I am no longer at the mercy of anybody who says: There is no moon! Nor do I feel a compelling urgency to explain myself or prove them wrong!

Having said that, I readily concede that there are people who say: I have also been to the moon, and it is made of cream cheese! To them I say: Good for you, and go in peace!

😀
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 10:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. [...] All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, describe it using different concepts. In fact, they are all looking at exactly the same thing.
    One of the groups starts to believe that everyone is going to the Moon when their life on Earth ends, and that they are going to end up living on the sunny side of the Moon and that the other groups who disagree with them are going to spend eternity on the dark side of the Moon... 🙂
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 10:42
    Outside of the Abrahamic religions, what exactly is there?

I suppose there is Hinduism/Buddhism but for the most part the Abrahamic religions are the only games in town.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 10:47
    Originally posted by whodey

I suppose there is Hinduism/Buddhism but for the most part the Abrahamic religions are the only games in town.
    Perhaps that adds heft to my OP analogy! "Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon; they're the only game in town...".
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps that adds heft to my OP analogy! "Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon; they're the only game in town...".
    What does looking up at the moon have to do with anything?

All the ancients were fixated on astronomy/astrology. After all, what else did they have to do at night?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:05
    What does looking up at the moon have to do with anything?

All the ancients were fixated on astronomy/astrology. After all, what else did they have to do at night?
    It's an analogy. The Moon is the monotheistic God. The three groups represent three different approaches to that God.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's an analogy. The Moon is the monotheistic God. The three groups represent three different approaches to that God.
    Then why not include the Pharaoh who forced the Egyptians to worship the sun?

Last I checked, no one I know worships the moon, nor is it Biblical nor in the Quran as far as I know.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:16
    Then why not include the Pharaoh who forced the Egyptians to worship the sun?

Last I checked, no one I know worships the moon, nor is it Biblical nor in the Quran as far as I know.
    Because it's an analogy about "The Three Abrahamic Religions" and not about worship of the sun or moon. You should perhaps read the OP and thread title. 🙂
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:18
    I have been to the moon and have brought back with me a very nice collection of moon rocks that are very precious to me.

So precious, in fact, that only a few people (my wife and children, for example) know about them, and I would never ever even consider flaunting them on RHP.

However, I am no longer at the mercy of anybody who says: There is no moon! ...[text shortened]... to the moon, and it is made of cream cheese! To them I say: Good for you, and go in peace!

😀
    Having said that, I readily concede that there are people who say: I have also been to the moon, and it is made of cream cheese! To them I say: Good for you, and go in peace!

It's Swiss Cheese! 🙂
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 11:45

Lumping all the various factions of the three Abrahamic religions together gets you about 53% of the world population. A majority, I'll grant you but hardly 'the only game in town'.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/

And I really don't think it is valid that they be lumped together. If you separate them out into Christian and Muslim (Jews account for an insignificant portion) then 'Unaffiliated' and 'Hindu' become comparable, though smaller, slices of the pie.

--- Penguin.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 12:32
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Lumping all the various factions of the three Abrahamic religions together gets you about 53% of the world population. A majority, I'll grant you but hardly 'the only game in town'.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/

And I really don't think it is valid that they be lumped together. If you separate them out into Christi ...[text shortened]... 'Unaffiliated' and 'Hindu' become comparable, though smaller, slices of the pie.

--- Penguin.
    In terms of ancient religions, the God of Abrahams reigns supreme.

I suppose an arugemnt might be made with Hinduism, but by in large it is a religion only in the Middle East.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 12:58

I suppose an arugemnt might be made with Hinduism, but by in large it is a religion only in the Middle East.
    What is the relevance of their age? When they were first begun, they were a tiny proportion (and a tiny absolute number of adherents). During the height of the power of the societies that hosted them they may conceivably have been a larger proportion of world population than now, (but still a small number of adherents compared to now) but that was many hundreds of years after they were started, and in terms of proportion of population they have since waned.

I fail to see how their age has any bearing on whether they are relevant now (or ever).

--- Penguin.
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 13:08

Middle East??

🙄
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 13:47
    Middle East??

🙄
    To be fair to him, India is on the western edge of the Far East and some maps don't include it as part of the Far East. I don't know of any that would actually put it in the Middle East though.

Interestingly though, he seems to think that because it's home is in the Middle East (in his eyes) that means he can somehow discount the 3rd biggest religion in the world. I wonder what other religions could then by this logic be ignored. Oh, how about Christianity, Islam and Judaism?

--- Penguin

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree