1. Maryland
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 14:52
    Half the time theists claim to know exactly what god wants, and the other half the time, theists say it is impossible to understand gods' actions. It seems to me, theists can't have it both ways. (Of course, the correct position is that there is no god, and theists make it up as they go along, to suit their convenience and prejudices.)
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 15:15
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Half the time theists claim to know exactly what god wants, and the other half the time, theists say it is impossible to understand gods' actions. It seems to me, theists can't have it both ways. (Of course, the correct position is that there is no god, and theists make it up as they go along, to suit their convenience and prejudices.)
    To say that a finite being can understand ALL the actions of an infinite being is contradictory. On the same token, howevere, to say that one is incapable of understanding SOME of the actions of that being is just as reckless of a statement.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 00:05
    How about you know nothing because there is nothing to know.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 01:54
    But to say that we know nothing, doesn't that mean we know at least something? 🙄
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 04:00
    prove it
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 10:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    To say that a finite being can understand ALL the actions of an infinite being is contradictory. On the same token, howevere, to say that one is incapable of understanding SOME of the actions of that being is just as reckless of a statement.
    The problem is that it is impossible to know when you do know and when you don't. My observation is that when it suits a Christian then he claims to know and when it doesn't he claims not to know and sometimes goes to the extent of claiming it is impossible to know (though how he knows this is not usually stated).
    For example if God does something nice in the Bible the Christian will know why he did it and present it as evidence of Gods goodness. When God does something bad in the Bible then it is therefore part of a 'bigger picture' that we are not privy to and therefore cannot know why he did it - in this case it is not proof of God being bad.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 14:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The problem is that it is impossible to know when you do know and when you don't. My observation is that when it suits a Christian then he claims to know and when it doesn't he claims not to know and sometimes goes to the extent of claiming it is impossible to know (though how he knows this is not usually stated).
    For example if God does something nice i ...[text shortened]... to and therefore cannot know why he did it - in this case it is not proof of God being bad.
    From a logical point of view, everything that we experience comes from God. This means all the good things and good people we have must have come from him. Of course, then comes the "bad" things, however, from a Biblical perspective these arise from his creation rejecting him or the source of the "goodness".
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 14:55
    From a logical point of view, everything that we experience comes from God. This means all the good things and good people we have must have come from him. Of course, then comes the "bad" things, however, from a Biblical perspective these arise from his creation rejecting him or the source of the "goodness".
    It's clear now. The newborn baby who dies of starvation must have done some thing bad to irritate god.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:27
    Did you understand my post? I cant really see how your response relates to it.
    Would you agree that it is illogical to claim that examples of God doing good is evidence for his goodness when examples of God doing bad cannot be taken as evidence for his badness because we lack the 'bigger picture'?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:31
    Did you understand my post? I cant really see how your response relates to it.
    Would you agree that it is illogical to claim that examples of God doing good is evidence for his goodness when examples of God doing bad cannot be taken as evidence for his badness because we lack the 'bigger picture'?
    What examples of God doing "bad" are there? Are you laying the blame of all evil at the feet of the Almighty?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:32
    It's clear now. The newborn baby who dies of starvation must have done some thing bad to irritate god.
    Just like his innocent son whom was sent to the cross. You see, sin doesn't care much about who is guilty and who is not, rather, it pretty much harms anyone in its path.
  12. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 04:49
    One thing I am confident about regarding God's will, He surely won't be leaving anything to me in it.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 07:00
    What examples of God doing "bad" are there? Are you laying the blame of all evil at the feet of the Almighty?
    You can't seem to follow an argument as long as you think your God is being insulted. Just read my posts again. I am not accusing God of anything whatsoever.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 11:381 edit
    When God does something bad in the Bible then it is therefore part of a 'bigger picture' that we are not privy to and therefore cannot know why he did it - in this case it is not proof of God being bad.[/b]
    So I assume that doing something "bad" would be like flooding the world or destroying Sodom. The question that needs to be asked is, why is he doing these things? When chrisitnas say you need to consider the bigger picture, they are saying that as "bad" as those things were, the target was wickedness. In effect, more good came from these events than bad. Of course, the whole issue revolves around what is "good" and "bad". I think a Biblical perspective of "good" and "bad" are sometimes far different than our own simply because one is from a holy perspective and the other from a sinners perspective. From a sinners perspective, how bad can sin really be? From a Biblical perspective, sin is why we suffer and therefore must and WILL be stamped out one way or another. Hopefully in the process, some may be saved.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 10:39
    on knowing the will of God

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?id=%22%22%21H%20%0A

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree