1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 04:531 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    When I was hit by this verse, it was as if I'd been struck by a truck loaded with old growth. I didn't say none hit me prior, but few hit me anywhere near as hard.

This verse, and the the consequent death of Onan, provokes the imagination as profoundly as the case of Thomas Granger in the Plymouth Colony in early America.

Originally posted by kirksey957
    There are probably enough thoughts on this account to justify a whole thread.

I'd like to read your thoughts on the notorious episode regarding Thomas Granger.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 04:58
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Granger

"Granger, at the age of 16 or 17, was in 1642 caught in the act of bestiality with a mare, a cow, two goats, five sheep, two calves and a turkey, and was likewise indicted."

All at the same time? WTF? I must be missing something.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:00
    Originally posted by David C

All at the same time?
    Holy smokes! A turkey? Good God.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:23
    Most remarkable about the episode, aside from William Bradford dutifully reporting it in Of Plimouth Plantation, was that the Puritans rigorously applied Levitical law. The youth was brought before the magistrates not only to confess his crimes, but to identify the particular sheep that he had known. His description of the other animals was good enough, but the sheep were brought before the court. He and the animals were all put to death, and no part of any of the animals were put to use.

Those old Puritans were not the milktoasts with funky hats depicted by American school children, they were tough hombres.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree