1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 08:371 edit
    i never really wanted to be a skeptic. a skeptic’s life is no day at the beach; it would be easier, in my estimation, if i could just swallow what people feed me instead of chucking it up to inspect the contents. but i find it necessary because i value truth highly even though i don’t know what the hell it is.

my game plan is simple in principle: i figure that there is a lengthy list of competing explanations for the way the world works. at my own pace, i sift through these proposals, striving for objectivity. the best i can hope to do is to simply rule out the explanations that are hopelessly illogical or just plain absurd – these ones get crossed off the list of candidates. other ones that are too sensible to ignore get pushed to the top of the list. this brute force method is hopelessly inefficient, and i have already accepted the fact that the list of surviving theories will probably never be pared down to a workable size.

take christianity for example. i only bring it up because it’s what i grew up with; i was teethed on its hard principles and made to follow its unmarked, winding, meandering maze of a trail. when i finally became brave enough to pull out a map and admit that i was completely lost, it was the best move i have made to date. since then i have realized that christianity as depicted by the bible is both hopelessly illogical AND just plain absurd. therefore it has been scratched off the list.

and that’s how i move forward. i hesitate to call it progress, but it is a progression of sorts. the frustrating thing is that in good faith i can only claim to believe in very little – and to know even less. i will say, however, that as frustrating as that may be, i can look myself square in the eyes – it’s worse to be in the maze, pretending that you actually have some idea where you are going, where you have been, and where you are. do my agnosticism, weak atheism, and supple belief system make me a bad person? i would rather say they make me rational. would i rather that my eyes had never been opened so that i could have stayed blissfully ignorant? no.

anyway, i’m off! extended vacation, you see. i probably won’t have the opportunity to chat for a month -- maybe less if i can swing it. i just wanted to say that i enjoy this forum quite a bit with its hodgepodge of ideas, small scandals, and surprisingly articulate minds.
  2. Oz
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 09:49
    I suppose you articulate a simple truth, that with more knowledge comes more uncertainty. If what you're experiencing is a moment of perplexion as you observe that, all you're learning only makes you realise how little you know, then i can empathise. Still, as tricky as the personal philosophy of a sceptic is to create, it's better than ignorance and self-betrayal.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself.
  3. Standard memberZeta
    Your Brother ;)
    California
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 07:15
    I agree with the Spacemonkey, and bid you well as well....I have grinded and swallowed and spat for years, and I have finally found peace. Ours is alot the same, only I ended up a Christian. Abnormal one, but one neverless. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno.
    So with that said, a question for you.....how do you breath?(I mean physically, how do you do it).
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 08:31
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    i never really wanted to be a skeptic. a skeptic’s life is no day at the beach; it would be easier, in my estimation, if i could just swallow what people feed me instead of chucking it up to inspect the contents. but i find it necessary because i value truth highly even though i don’t know what the hell it is.

my game plan is simple in principle: i ...[text shortened]... rum quite a bit with its hodgepodge of ideas, small scandals, and surprisingly articulate minds.
    Have a nice vacation .
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 05:08
    Originally posted by LemonJello

my game plan is simple in principle: i ...[text shortened]... rum quite a bit with its hodgepodge of ideas, small scandals, and surprisingly articulate minds.
    What about the Words that CHRIST spoke that were illogical?
    How can you value truth when you don't know what it is?
    You really have not moved forward you gone backward. You have decided to put GOD off the list. With what have you replaced HIM with?
    If you have had a chance to accept CHRIST as you Savior, and reject HIM what does that make you?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 05:14
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    You really have not moved forward you gone backward. You have decided to put GOD off the list. With what have you replaced HIM with?
    If you have had a chance to accept CHRIST as you Savior, and reject HIM what does that make you?
    I've replaced him WITH a set of GUIDELINES I aim to live BY.
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 05:19
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I've replaced him WITH a set of GUIDELINES I aim to live BY.
    which lead you where?
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 07:32
    which lead you where?
    They LEAD me TO a life I'm proud to LIVE.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 17:281 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    They LEAD me TO a life I'm proud to LIVE.
    Pride, Xan. Just like Satan before he was cast screaming in rage and pain from the gates of Heaven. You're just a filthy demon, Xan. That's "what that makes you."

😉
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 22:48
    Originally posted by telerion
    Pride, Xan. Just like Satan before he was cast screaming in rage and pain from the gates of Heaven. You're just a filthy demon, Xan. That's "what that makes you."

😉
    Third cousin (by marriage) of Baalzephon member of the Dark Eight and proud of it. Thank you very much.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 01:53
    i find it rather funny that you call yourself blindfaith101. i was always under the impression that blind faith is not a good thing: it demonstrates only a frail and inactive mind. in your case, with my limited knowledge i find that no name other than blindfaith could describe you more accurately. that is not a compliment.

i have chosen not to 'accept christ', and i have already stated what that makes me -- rational. do you think you are behaving rationally by blindly accepting every word of the bible without question? you dare not venture out of your cramped little corner. if you venture out and want to turn back, even in the darkness corners are easy to find -- you simply run your hands along the wall. and if you did venture out only to turn back, it would probably only strengthen your longing to remain there. i honestly don't see what you are afraid of.

i aksed you once before if you ever for a second doubted your faith and your answer was no (i'll find the thread if you want me to). ask yourself what that makes you. personally i think it makes you myopic, timid, and weak. and probably a liar.
  12. Gangster Land
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 02:44
    If it makes you feel any better LJ, I have always considered blindfaith101 to be a non-real person. Which is to say he is a character some clever person made up to mess with our minds. I admit he has been around a long time and has maintained a consistent character the entire time. However, since we still respond to him and get all worked up the real person behind BF101 is getting enough enjoyment out of the rouse to continue it.

Kinda funny if you think about it. If it turns out that BF101 is a real person just speaking his mind like the rest of us...well I guess that is funny too, in a scary kind of way. 😉

TheSkipper
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 07:20
    The TRUTH is you that you wouldn't recognize a contradiction if it
    fell on your FACE and started to WIGGLE.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree