1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 16:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What does the word/concept of faith mean to you?
    It means different things to me in different contexts. Which context are you trying to put under the microscope here? Perhaps we should start there.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 17:54
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    It means different things to me in different contexts. Which context are you trying to put under the microscope here? Perhaps we should start there.
    "Faith": ?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 18:41
    "Faith": ?
    Ah, I see. Very helpful, Bobby.

🙄🙄
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:171 edit
    Ah, I see. Very helpful, Bobby.

🙄🙄
    "Etymology Faith: The English word is thought to date from 1200–50, from the Middle English feith, via Anglo-French fed, Old French feid, feit from Latin fidem, accusative of fid; (trust), akin to fdere; (to trust)."

LemonJello, do you trust anyone to give you accurate information? If not, do you trust yourself? Only yourself?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:32
    "Etymology Faith: The English word is thought to date from 1200–50, from the Middle English feith, via Anglo-French fed, Old French feid, feit from Latin fidem, accusative of fid; (trust), akin to fdere; (to trust)."

LemonJello, do you trust anyone to give you accurate information? If not, do you trust yourself? Only yourself?
    Do you have any intention to answer even a simple question such as what context you are targeting here? If not, why start such a thread in the first place? Why waste others' time?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:012 edits
    Do you have any intention to answer even a simple question such as what context you are targeting here? If not, why start such a thread in the first place? Why waste others' time?
    Faith is one of the words within the thread's context; conversation is nigh
    unto impossible if the word "faith" (which has been around since 1250 AD)
    has not yet been added to LemonJello's working English vocabulary.

Note: "Others" are not the issue; only one person is doing the complaining.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:061 edit
    Faith is one of the words within the thread's context; conversation is nigh
    unto impossible if the word "faith" (which has been around since 1250 AD)
    has not yet been added to LemonJello's working English vocabulary.

Note: "Others" are not the issue; only one person is doing the complaining.
    I see...so because I ask you what particular context of the term you are targeting in a thread in which you purport to foster discussion regarding the term, I am complaining beyond what is reasonable...according to you, that is.

Well, I've come to expect no more from you...sad but true.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:16
    I see...so because I ask you what particular context of the term you are targeting in a thread in which you purport to foster discussion regarding the term, I am complaining beyond what is reasonable...according to you, that is.

Well, I've come to expect no more from you...sad but true.
    "I ask you what particular context of the term you are targeting in a thread in which you purport to foster discussion regarding the term..."

The context is the Original Post. Please hold the fort while I go back to retrieve it for your benefit. Thanks for your patience.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Three Systems of Human Perception

"Empiricism (empirical) Perception; Perception by means of Rationalism; Faith Perception A. Definition. 1.) Basically there are three systems of human perception. a. Faith is a non-meritorious system of perception based on confidence in the authority and the veracity of another. Faith is not based on one’s own knowledge, as is rationalism or empiricism. b. Rationalism is reason from the source of knowledge in itself, superior to and independent of any other source of perception. Rationalism says that reality is what you think to be true. Rationalism requires a high I.Q., from which systems of philosophy are often developed. c. Empiricism is knowledge from perception by observation and experience rather than by theory. All ideas are derived from some sensuous experience using the eyes, ears, nose, touch, etc., having no innate conceptions. 2.) Perception by faith is always non-meritorious. It depends on the authority, veracity, and ability of someone else. Faith requires authority. 3.) Faith also means a system of doctrine or a creed perceived by faith; i.e., what is believed."

http://wisdomknowledge.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/the-doctrine-of-faith/

"Faith is the spur that drives people forward to discover Truth. However, it can be misplaced and cannot be a system of perceiving absolute Truth." Yes, Pianoman1, if confidence in someone's ability or authority or veracity is in doubt. Wouldn't the same criteria hold true for Rationalism if reasoning from premises and postulates which may be in error? "It has become a big thing simply because the clarification never came." Penguin, thanks for your patience in waiting for my reply; let's hope this delineation clarifies the issues. "Faith perception to me means someone perceiving another person as having faith." sonhouse, yes, "Faith also means a system of doctrine or a creed perceived by faith; i.e., what is believed." -Bob (1 of 3)
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:214 edits
    "I ask you what particular context of the term you are targeting in a thread in which you purport to foster discussion regarding the term..."

The context is the Original Post. Please hold the fort while I go back to retrieve it for your benefit. Thanks for your patience.
    The OP simply stipulates that 'faith' is a "non-meritorious system of perception based on confidence in the authority and the veracity of another".

Sorry, but I don't know what that means. And I would tend to doubt information from that blog about what is 'x' as it functions in usage, since its characterizations of 'empiricism' and 'rationalism' are rather laughable.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:29
    The OP simply stipulates that 'faith' is a "non-meritorious system of perception based on confidence in the authority and the veracity of another".

Sorry, but I don't know what that means. And I would tend to doubt information from that blog about what is 'x' as it functions in usage, since its characterizations of 'empiricism' and 'rationalism' are rather laughable.
    Thanks for your interest in the topic and contributions to our conversation. -Bob
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:31
    Thanks for your interest in the topic and contributions to our conversation. -Bob
    Whatever....

I would reiterate that if others are interested in the topic of 'faith' as well, the archives will offer much better reading...something you already accept with thanks based on my factual authority in archival matters.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:51
    Whatever....

I would reiterate that if others are interested in the topic of 'faith' as well, the archives will offer much better reading...something you already accept with thanks based on my factual authority in archival matters.
    "If an offence comes out of the truth, better is it that the offence come than that the truth be concealed."
    (Middle English, Author Unknown)
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 23:54
    "If an offence comes out of the truth, better is it that the offence come than that the truth be concealed."
    (Middle English, Author Unknown)
    Why, did you find something here offensive?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 00:21
    Why, did you find something here offensive?
    Decades ago, sure. As Mal Pancoast observed, "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off". Check my site profile.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree