1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 19:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Make up your mind.

KM: You would no longer have objective "factual knowledge" of God's existence as a certainty , you would have to see him through the eyes of faith.

Though our lunatic may not have objective "factual knowledge" of his being Napoleon as a certainty, he sees himself as Napoleon through the eyes of faith.
    And he would have to decide between himself and his own conscience whether what he saw around him fitted the idea that he was Napoleon. He would have eyes of faith , but only blind faith could allow him to continue with his delusion.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 20:02
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    And he would have to decide between himself and his own conscience whether what he saw around him fitted the idea that he was Napoleon. He would have eyes of faith , but only blind faith could allow him to continue with his delusion.
    He would correctly say the same thing about your belief in a 3 O God based on your "personal knowledge".
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 23:31

You are too caught up in over intellectualising to see the simplicity of what I am saying. You are making it too hard for yourself . Take a deep breath, relax and then think about it. To know God personally or to have knowledge about God. All the proof in the world can never replace intimacy.
    I do see the simplicity of what you are asking, and I already said I just simply do not care about your primary question in this thread. Why should I?

If you ever want to actually address my other objection -- which does constitute something of interest in my view -- let me know.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 23:51
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    I would have to choose A.

I have a problem with blind faith. I would never give up all of my knowledge for faith anyway.
    With all the knowledge you have you will never be as smart as Albert.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 17:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Just ask "Napoleon".
    Not tonight Josephine
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 18:281 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I do see the simplicity of what you are asking, and I already said I just simply do not care about your primary question in this thread. Why should I?

If you ever want to actually address my other objection -- which does constitute something of interest in my view -- let me know.
    My main objection (which I see now is off-topic somewhat) is that you were just supposing that this "personal experience" you refer to can produce knowledge (or less stringently, warranted belief)...

The standard caveats: non-dualism, etc., etc.

Now, I think KM might intend to distinguish between episteme and gnosis. That was the distinction that I assume in my answer regarding my wife. That is, I think that when I say I know my wife, I mean something more than just having a justified true belief in certain propositions about her. Excerpted from my cumbersome “Toward a Spiritual Philosophy” thread—

Here I’d like to distinguish between two types of knowledge, as I think of them, anyway: episteme and gnosis. Epistemic knowledge is propositional, conceptual, descriptive—in short, episteme belongs to what I have called the conceptual grammar of our consciousness. Gnosis is recognition unmediated by conceptual grammar, an immediate “intuitive” grasping, an intimate apprehension (it is noteworthy that gnosis is also used to refer to erotic intimacy, sexual “knowledge” ). Gnosis is essentially experiential, regardless of any attempts to translate that experience into conceptual terms.

What in the literature is called a “mystical” experience (not necessarily a religious or supernatural experience!) is an intimate, conceptually unmediated, experiential, gnostic realization of the mystery—of the fact that the grammar of the totality transcends our own, while our existence arises from and is intimately entangled with the totality—like the stream in the ocean. That is the only sense in which I use the word mystical. It is in the sense of, say, the Zen satori experience.

Aside on mystical content—

Whether or not a mystical experience is triggered intentionally (e.g., by meditation practices), the conceptual processes of our minds seem to want to assert their “grammar,” trying to make conceptual sense of the experience—to give it conceptual content. Such content may take the form of visions, auditions, etc. A memory of some religious image may be triggered—a mental image of Krishna, say—and associated with whatever conceptual content arises. (This religious image need not come from one’s own religion.)

Thus, one may have a “religious experience” in which Krishna seems to appear, surrounded by the fragrance of incense, and to speak. And, just like the ordinary visual images produced in the visual cortex, the vision of Krishna seems to be external to ourselves. To one who objects that her experience was just too powerful to be just a “vision in the mind,” I would say: “Do not form too paltry an opinion of the power of the mind.”

I call this process “immediate translation”—i.e., of an otherwise unintelligible experience into an intelligible one, as the brain attempts to assert its habitual grammar to form recognizable and sensible patterns. Zen masters urge us to ignore such makkyo (bedeviling illusions). I’d say that at most, one might value them aesthetically. The point is that the mystical experience does not itself validate the conceptual content of its grammatized form.

Therfore, I do not think that such gnostic experience can provide epistemic knowledge, and so, despite whatever induction I might draw from such experiences, I maintain nondualism, for example, as axiomatic.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:033 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]My main objection (which I see now is off-topic somewhat) is that you were just supposing that this "personal experience" you refer to can produce knowledge (or less stringently, warranted belief)...

The standard caveats: non-dualism, etc., etc.

Now, I think KM might intend to distinguish between episteme and gnosis. That was the ...[text shortened]... nduction I might draw from such experiences, I maintain nondualism, for example, as axiomatic.[/b]
    Thanks for your thoughts. Where is this cumbersome Toward a Spiritual Philosophy thread? Was that a recent or old project? I'll have to check it out.

That may well be the distinction that KM is driving at, but why in the world would he be presenting it as 'either; or; take your choice'? That just doesn't make any sense to me. For example, could one say, or just conceptualize, that he holds gnosis about X (particularly, about some thing X) without simultaneously holding cognitive, or truth-apt, beliefs about X -- at least some descriptive beliefs that he uses to identify X, particularly, in the first place (keep in mind here that my view of belief is representationalist and maybe to some degree functionalist -- but to first order, when I talk about belief, I am just talking about the holding of a mental representation)? I don't know how that would work, and in a sense, that seems to be the whole problem with organized "moon gazing". They take something that is transcendent and yet immediate (as you say), something beyond our ability to conceptualize without contradiction in that sense; and they try to represent it through idol-construction, where the building blocks are presumably propositional. It's a silly project.

But this is what I take KM to be talking about: he's talking about having gnosis of a constructed idol. My question really deals with how in the world the truth-apt beliefs related to the associated and assumed construction could ever be warranted, particularly when KM is framing it such that the gnosis forms in the middle of a virtual epistemic wasteland. (This is not a problem that you have, for example, in relation to your wife.)

It all seems so ridiculous, I actually thought that maybe KM was trying to claim something else (something potentially more reasonable in my view), something about epistemic possibility. I thought his "personal knowledge" might, in addition to any sort of gnostic considerations, include something like the Aquinas/Calvin model of theistic belief. In that model there is a cognitive mechanism -- the sensus divinitatis -- that triggers the formation of belief about divinity in the believer. This divine sensorium represents a disposition to form truth-apt beliefs about the divine in certain circumstances. My initial question really has to do with under what conditions, if any, could we say that belief that is taken to be so formed is warranted (which is a minimal consideration for its constituting knowledge in the here-appropriate sense of that word).
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:13
    The Bible says his love is faithful, that he will fulifill his promises to us , that he will answer our prayers and makes us new creations....it's also full of prophecies that have come true. That's just a few things for starters. Now these testable elements of Christianity are not open to testubes or electron microscopes but they are available to thos ...[text shortened]... k and have faith. Your interpretation of the word testable is different from mine that's all.
    it's also full of prophecies that have come true.

Yes, prophesies like "in the future there will be war and earthquakes".

Well, any charlatan could prophesize that! Likewise, what about all the prophesies which [b[didn't[/b] come true. How many of them are there??

Your interpretation of the word testable is different from mine that's all.

Your interpretation of the word "testable" is different from everyones!
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:46
    Thanks for your thoughts. Where is this cumbersome Toward a Spiritual Philosophy thread? Was that a recent or old project? I'll have to check it out.

That may well be the distinction that KM is driving at, but why in the world would he be presenting it as 'either; or; take your choice'? That just doesn't make any sense to me. For example, c ...[text shortened]... ideration for its constituting knowledge in the here-appropriate sense of that word).
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=64959
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 08:33
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    [b]it's also full of prophecies that have come true.

Yes, prophesies like "in the future there will be war and earthquakes".

Well, any charlatan could prophesize that! Likewise, what about all the prophesies which [b[didn't[/b] come true. How many of them are there??

Your interpretation of the word testable is different from min ...[text shortened]... ll.

Your interpretation of the word "testable" is different from everyones![/b]
    Your interpretation of the word "testable" is different from everyones! SCOTTY

wow! Please publish your research on this! I thought it was theists who were supposed to make broad sweeping and unverified claims.
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 08:37

That may well be the distinction that KM is driving at, but why in the world would he be presenting it as 'either; or; take your choice'? That just doesn't make any sense to me. For example, c ...[text shortened]... ideration for its constituting knowledge in the here-appropriate sense of that word).
    That may well be the distinction that KM is driving at, but why in the world would he be presenting it as 'either; or; take your choice'? That just doesn't make any sense to meLEMON

I'm trying to establish which knowledge is more valuable to people. My view is that one can have mountains of intellectual knowledge without any real knowing at all. If you have a PHD in sex but have never had sex , what do you really know?
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 08:41
    Your interpretation of the word "testable" is different from everyones! SCOTTY

wow! Please publish your research on this! I thought it was theists who were supposed to make broad sweeping and unverified claims.
    You are well known for making up your own definitions.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 22:393 edits
    That may well be the distinction that KM is driving at, but why in the world would he be presenting it as 'either; or; take your choice'? That just doesn't make any sense to meLEMON

I'm trying to establish which knowledge is more valuable to people. My view is that one can have mountains of intellectual knowledge without any real knowing at all. If you have a PHD in sex but have never had sex , what do you really know?
    My view is that one can have mountains of intellectual knowledge without any real knowing at all.

You're equivocating like a superstar. Take a cue from vistesd and properly ground this discussion. What constitutes this 'real knowledge' you talk about?

It seems to me that you have an incredibly impoverished view of 'knowledge'. Worse, it seems that you collect together certain experiences you find "valuable to people" and simply equate conversance of those experiences with "real knowledge".

EDIT: Also, it seems that you're suggesting that 'real knowledge' is exclusively experiential, or empirical, or a posteriori. If that is your stance, then I would argue that you are committed to the idea that moral knowledge cannot constitute "real knowledge", or at least that no moral judgement is "really" justified. I would argue that moral claims are reducible to general commitments that are, at bottom, taken a priori.
  14. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 04:17
    knightmeister- as an atheist i would choose 'a' as an answer to your question
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 09:52
    Imagine for one moment that....

a) I could prove God (Christian God) to you scientifically and objectively with 100% certainty . You would then know (or have knowledge) that God exists for sure and no further proof would be needed. There's one catch though. Although you would have 100% certain intellectual knowledge that God exists you would be prev ...[text shortened]... rough the eyes of faith.

QUESTION - Which kind of knowing would you choose and why?
    I don't fully understand b. Is there still some way to positively know that God exists? For example I am sure that by taking the right drugs I could achieve:
    "You would feel loved by him and be able to love back. You would experience the joy of communing with him."
    without actually believing in his existence.

If you experience all the things you mention but are sure that God does not in fact exist then what?

And are you claiming that your hypothetical question has anything to do with reality? Do you believe that the benefits of b. exclude the possibility of a?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree