1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 02:17
    Is it possible to accurately date old dried up blood with the Carbon 14
    process? They claim there was type AB blood detected on the Shroud
    of Turin. If it is possible, then I would think that would be the best
    thing to try and date on the Shroud of Turin.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 02:432 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Is it possible to accurately date old dried up blood with the Carbon 14
    process? They claim there was type AB blood detected on the Shroud
    of Turin. If it is possible, then I would think that would be the best
    thing to try and date on the Shroud of Turin.
    Not exactly a given that blood would be from the original "owner". This Shroud, as I understand it, has been traipsed around everywhere in the hands of counts, dukes, wayfarers, circus clowns, nuns, pixies, and Martians. It's been rescued from fires, patched, handled, paraded about, stored in tombs -- anyone could have bled on the thing at any time, especially during the time or two it was rescued from fires.

And pollen. It's been exposed to ambient air innumerable times, probably at all times of the year in all sorts of places, so pollen contamination is inevitable. I bring this up because pollen in the linen has been analyzed to death among other things.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 02:49
    Anyway, my guess is that the blood residue in the fabric is too miniscule to get an accurate C14 dating done.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 05:46
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Anyway, my guess is that the blood residue in the fabric is too miniscule to get an accurate C14 dating done.
    But wasn't there a puddle of blood where His side was pierced?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 06:31
    But wasn't there a puddle of blood where His side was pierced?
    They would have to get a sample that they are sure is entirely blood. If fibres / paint or other carbon bearing substances from a different date were included in the sample it would affect the dating method.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 10:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They would have to get a sample that they are sure is entirely blood. If fibres / paint or other carbon bearing substances from a different date were included in the sample it would affect the dating method.
    You mean scientist can't tell the difference between blood, fiber, and paint?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 05:16
    You mean scientist can't tell the difference between blood, fiber, and paint?
    It could be very difficult. You cant exactly test a sample for its various elements and then later send it through the Carbon 14 test machine too. Generally, each test destroys the sample. So it would probably have to depend on visual inspection, and I am not sure that they can be distinguished that way.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 07:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It could be very difficult. You cant exactly test a sample for its various elements and then later send it through the Carbon 14 test machine too. Generally, each test destroys the sample. So it would probably have to depend on visual inspection, and I am not sure that they can be distinguished that way.
    So I guess you are saying that this is something that is probably beyond
    mankind's present capabilities, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree