1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 21:23
    The tower of Babel story was one of my favorites as a kid. I thought wow, if I could build something high enough I could reach Heaven, and avoid natural death. It must of been possible because God screwed up the Tower project because he did not want them to slip into Heaven illegally. Giving everyone different lanquages so communication would break down among the workers was a slick idea don't you think ? I wonder if the Astronauts got a good view of Heaven ?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 22:293 edits
    Originally posted by buckky
    The tower of Babel story was one of my favorites as a kid. I thought wow, if I could build something high enough I could reach Heaven, and avoid natural death. It must of been possible because God screwed up the Tower project because he did not want them to slip into Heaven illegally. Giving everyone different lanquages so communication would break down among ...[text shortened]... rkers was a slick idea don't you think ? I wonder if the Astronauts got a good view of Heaven ?
    I never thought that the reason you sited was why God confused the project and scattered them.

It says that the people were one and nothing would be impossible to them. I long puzzled over this. Was it not a good thing that a united human race could accomplish anything ?

As with many things in the revelation of the Bible, deeper undertstanding often comes with deeper spiritual experience.

Since the fall of Adam all humanity was constituted with enmity against God and His eternal purpose. Therefore whatever the human race would do by uniting for a single purpose, would be in rebellion against God.

If this bothers us it is probably because we do not understand to what depths Adam's race fell away from thier Creator.

It should be noted that prior to the flood Enoch walked with God and was raptured. So there was no basic problem God had with man walking with God to be with God, even if that should be heaven.

To walk with God was better than to build a proud tower.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 02:18
    Originally posted by buckky
    The tower of Babel story was one of my favorites as a kid. I thought wow, if I could build something high enough I could reach Heaven, and avoid natural death. It must of been possible because God screwed up the Tower project because he did not want them to slip into Heaven illegally. Giving everyone different lanquages so communication would break down among ...[text shortened]... rkers was a slick idea don't you think ? I wonder if the Astronauts got a good view of Heaven ?
    It wasn't because of what you think. It was because the people were committing an act of hubris.
  4. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 11:47
    Some people believe that the tower was actually a spaceship.

Isaac of Acre wrote that the Tower builders had reached, or at least planned to reach the distance of 2,360,000,000 parsas or 9-10 billion kilometers above the Earth surface, which is about the radius of the Solar System, including most Trans-Neptunian objects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

One of Isaac of Acre's most interesting and timely findings has to do with the age of the Universe. Isaac states that, contrary to what the creation myth of Genesis says (that the world was created in 6 days), the universe is actually 15,340,500,000 years old. Isaac arrived at this conclusion by distinguishing between earthly "solar years" and "divine years," based on a verse from Psalms, which states that "A thousand years in Your sight are but as yesterday" (Psalm 90:4). If each day of a divine year is equal to a thousand earthly "solar years," then a divine year would be 365,250 years long. Isaac then makes some other calculations based on the Talmud and the Biblical sabbatical year, and arrives at the number 15.3405 billion, which is astoundingly close to the scientific estimation, which places the occurrence of the Big Bang at 13.7 ± 0.2 billion years ago[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_ben_Samuel_of_Acre
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 13:10
    THE FOURTH FALL OF MAN - (BABEL)

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?id=%23%29%28K%27%0A

SORRY FOLKS. I hurt my wrist and can't write too well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree