2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 07:16
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Stang's soul "worthless?"

That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Although he's done plenty to piss off anyone that doesn't share his exceedingly narrow viewpoints, can you state in good conscience that his soul is worthless?
    Relative to God, we are all just piss pots. STANG may be worth something to other people, but neither STANG or myself or anyone else has any standing before God.

So is that harsh? Yes it is. But I don't think I'm one bit more worthy before God than STANG is, so I'm democratic about it. It's total equality when it come to eternal salvation.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 08:16
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Relative to God, we are all just piss pots. STANG may be worth something to other people, but neither STANG or myself or anyone else has any standing before God.

So is that harsh? Yes it is. But I don't think I'm one bit more worthy before God than STANG is, so I'm democratic about it. It's total equality when it come to eternal salvation.
    Now THIS is why religion is crap. It teaches you to despise yourself and everyone else!
  4. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 20:11
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Now THIS is why religion is crap. It teaches you to despise yourself and everyone else!
    No Scott, it doesn’t. The ones who preach that don’t understand their religion, and certainly not all who are religious preach that. There are two sides to everything.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 20:41
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    No Scott, it doesn’t. The ones who preach that don’t understand their religion, and certainly not all who are religious preach that. There are two sides to everything.
    Three actually. Then again, they consider even more dimensions when explaining the universe.
  6. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 20:49
    Originally posted by STANG
    Three actually. Then again, they consider even more dimensions when explaining the universe.
    Context please. Negative vs. Positive.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:42
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Context please. Negative vs. Positive.
    You can choose to sit in the middle.
  8. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 14:42
    You speak of that of which you know nothing about.

DF
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 15:52
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    You speak of that of which you know nothing about.

DF
    Feel free to cop out at any time DF. Why not do something novel and bring something to the conversation! I analysed a piece of information (Coletti's self loathing (even species wide) rant) and made a comment about how that cannot possibly be good for ones psycological well being or self esteem to believe that. In our hearts I think we all truly believe ourselves to be good, not, and I quote 'piss pots'.

You merely try to berrate my position by saying I know nothing about Christianity - well, newsflash, I was brought up as a christian, but I saw the light and escaped.
  10. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 05:36
    Feel free to cop out at any time DF. Why not do something novel and bring something to the conversation! I analysed a piece of information (Coletti's self loathing (even species wide) rant) and made a comment about how that cannot possibly be good for ones psycological well being or self esteem to believe that. In our hearts I think we all truly beli ...[text shortened]... stianity - well, newsflash, I was brought up as a christian, but I saw the light and escaped.
    I see I hit a nerve. My appologies.

Let me quote your response:
    "Now THIS is why religion is crap. It teaches you to despise yourself and everyone else!"
    Now, I know you're a man of science and evidence, so I ask you. To which religion are you referring and precisely which teaching of that religion do you reference?

The importance of Coletti's post is that if we hold ourselves too highly, we start we think we don't need God. We start to think that we can do it all ourselves. And we soon start to think that there is no God because we believe we got to where we our by our own power.
    There is nothing wrong with being humble, which, when viewed properly, is the gist of Coletti's post. But humility has no place in a world without God.

DF
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 06:01
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    I see I hit a nerve. My appologies.

Let me quote your response:
    "Now THIS is why religion is crap. It teaches you to despise yourself and everyone else!"
    Now, I know you're a man of science and evidence, so I ask you. To which religion are you referring and precisely which teaching of that religion do you reference?

The importance of Coletti's ...[text shortened]... y, is the gist of Coletti's post. But humility has no place in a world without God.

DF
    The only nerve you hit was one that annoys me somewhat - people criticising without any substance to their arguments, or often no argument at all.

I see you have analysed Coletti's statement, but I would analyse it somewhat differently to you.
  12. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 03:46
    The only nerve you hit was one that annoys me somewhat - people criticising without any substance to their arguments, or often no argument at all.

I see you have analysed Coletti's statement, but I would analyse it somewhat differently to you.

And thus my response. It takes a Christian perspective to analyse a Christian statement.

But since you brought up people criticizing without any substance...
    Which religious teaching were you referring to when you said that religion teaches people to hate themselves and others?

DF
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 04:19

Why analyze what I already explained when eagles54 asked me why I was so harsh.

As a matter of fact, I agree with you that most of us (including myself) see ourselves as good people. My inclination is to believe that most people are good at heart. But this is not supported by the evidence. Read a history book (ignoring the winner propaganda) and you will see the evidence points at man being power hungry and greedy and not above killing for his own gain.

Watch the news and you'll see the same thing every night. Do the news programs exaggerate the sleaze and violence? Sure they do! But ask yourself why - and you know the answer. Because people want to see the violence and sleaze - if only to make themselves feel like they are better.

There is little empirical evidence for saying man is actually good at heart. Man lies, steals, cheats, and kills when doing good does not give him what he desires - which is power, glory, and wealth.

Let's be scientific about this, no? Sure you can give me examples of innocence and personal sacrifice, but these are the exceptions rather than the rule. If man is good at heart, why is there crime, poverty, etc. You think it because a minority of evil people the ones with power over the weak good majority people? That's crap! We know that the evil of men is just as strong in the poor as the powerful.

It's insane to say people are good in general. It goes against the vast majority of the evidence. It's only that few people are willing to admit that they are one of the bad guys. "It's not me, I'm a good person. I'd never do anything to hurt anyone." Yeah right! Self delusions is healthy? Let's all protect our precious self esteems and pretend we a better than we are.
  14. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 01:34
    Originally posted by STANG
    You can choose to sit in the middle.
    sometimes other peoples' choosing has more weight than a choice to sit in the middle....this can be balanced to an extent with more love, hate or 'ignorance to the name they try to give you'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree