1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 21:001 edit
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7457212.stm

"New Iranian dress code crackdown

Police in Iran have begun a new campaign against Western-style clothing and hairstyles.

Women are being arrested if their headscarves do not fully cover their hair or their clothes show their figures too clearly....

Those who violate the rules can receive lashes, fines or imprisonment."

It is all about power, isn't it? The power to tell others that you are right and they are wrong; and the enforcing of your superiority.

[edit] and then you read this, and you realise that the truth is, we are all human, even those who decide they are better...

"Iran anti-vice chief 'in brothel'

Tehran's police chief, who was reportedly discovered in a brothel, has been arrested, it has been confirmed.

Local media have reported that General Reza Zarei was found with six naked women in a house of prostitution in the Iranian capital last month.

He has been taken to jail while his case is investigated, a spokesman for Iran's judiciary said.

Gen Zarei was in charge of enforcing Iran's strict anti-vice laws, which include a ban on prostitution.

State media had recently reported that Gen Zarei had been replaced as police chief in Tehran, but had not explained why."
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 21:41
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7457212.stm

"New Iranian dress code crackdown

Police in Iran have begun a new campaign against Western-style clothing and hairstyles.

Women are being arrested if their headscarves do not fully cover their hair or their clothes show their figures too clearly....

Those who violate the rules can rece ...[text shortened]... hat Gen Zarei had been replaced as police chief in Tehran, but had not explained why."
    Agree with your forum title, the new regulations, with the exception of the anti-prostitution one, completely go against Muslim doctrine.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 20:29
    I wonder if six has special significance?! Six? you've gotta give him credit.....
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 23:55
    I wonder if six has special significance?! Six? you've gotta give him credit.....
    Why six? Did I miss something? Or is it just speculation? Would it have made any difference if it were nine? (All right, that would just be too much.)
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 20:47
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Why six? Did I miss something? Or is it just speculation? Would it have made any difference if it were nine? (All right, that would just be too much.)
    you mean you think six is ok?

I must admit, nine does seem a bit greedy...
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 20:49
    Any fundamentalism is bad.
    There are christian 'talibans' too, you know...
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:52
    you mean you think six is ok?

I must admit, nine does seem a bit greedy...
    No, I'm just wondering why he thought it was significant, given some of the ... you know .... things ..... in Europe and Southeast Asia.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Just look at Italy.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 21:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I suppose it is the sort of thing that you can have a bit of a laugh about, until you look at western society and then I think it is all a little bit mad. but still funny, until they start locking people up for 'incorrect' thinking...
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 21:23
    I suppose it is the sort of thing that you can have a bit of a laugh about, until you look at western society and then I think it is all a little bit mad. but still funny, until they start locking people up for 'incorrect' thinking...
    Be honest -- wouldn't the world look rather different if you could rearrange it to suit your personal beliefs? To what extent do you have to compromise? How much of a hypocrite are you? (That's not a criticism: hypocrisy is a social 'good'😉.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree