1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 06:471 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    First, nothing in my post should make you think that Im focusing on the lives of others. It should be obvious that my post was about the wrong teachings of modern Christianity. And thats a serious matter.

Next, many here [Jaywill for eg] believes that even the most serious or sins are not punishable with damnation as long and the Christian is 'saved'. 'Saved' being that he proclaims with his mouth that he accepts Christ as his saviour.
    Your passionate distaste for other people's sins neither means you yourself are righteous before God, nor that the teachings you mention are in fact erroneous.

Perhaps you could re-read the accounts of Moses the murderer, David the adulterer (and murderer by intent) and Peter who renounced/denied Christ three times. Men after God's own heart, leaders and evangelists. Gross sinners all and all repentant which is the key.

Maybe re-read Jesus talking about the "unmerciful servant" in Matt 18:

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 06:50
    From what I know of Pentecostals, the 'stuff' that Jesus did that they wanted to do would be miracles. And the reason would be to impress their friends or to make money. Pentecostals are a very money conscious and worldly group. I bet they certainly would not want to do the humble stuff that Jesus did like hang out with the poor, and sick and the deprived.
    Is your judgemental generalisation based on you being mistreated by a "pentecostal" person at some time?
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 06:57
    First, nothing in my post should make you think that Im focusing on the lives of others. It should be obvious that my post was about the wrong teachings of modern Christianity. And thats a serious matter.

Next, many here [Jaywill for eg] believes that even the most serious or sins are not punishable with damnation as long and the Christian is 'saved'. 'Saved' being that he proclaims with his mouth that he accepts Christ as his saviour.
    Raj, I get it. I understand what you're driving at. All I can say is, yes, there are people in the world who claim to believe and yet live despicable lives. And there are no doubt churches where such people aren't made to feel uncomfortable with themselves. Who can deny it? It's a serious matter, I agree.
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 07:01
    From what I know of Pentecostals, the 'stuff' that Jesus did that they wanted to do would be miracles. And the reason would be to impress their friends or to make money. Pentecostals are a very money conscious and worldly group. I bet they certainly would not want to do the humble stuff that Jesus did like hang out with the poor, and sick and the deprived.
    Pentecostals are a very money conscious and worldly group. I bet they certainly would not want to do the humble stuff that Jesus did like hang out with the poor, and sick and the deprived.

I'm not a fan of the health, wealth and prosperity gospel. Not all charismatic churches, however, subscribe to that sort of doctrine. Be careful with your generalizations.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 07:22
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    By what metric?

% growth.
    Absolute growth.
    % of total world population...

Plus whose doing the counting and what methodology are they using?
    Are the numbers in any way reliable?
    In terms of absolute numbers in annual increase. Primarily a demographic effect with populous Asia and Africa leading the way. Sheer population and incredible birth rate. In contrast, while Christian religion also has large numbers, birth rate is relatively low.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 13:59
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your passionate distaste for other people's sins neither means you yourself are righteous before God, nor that the teachings you mention are in fact erroneous.

Perhaps you could re-read the accounts of Moses the murderer, David the adulterer (and murderer by intent) and Peter who renounced/denied Christ three times. Men after God's own heart, leader ...[text shortened]... ? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
    What an utterly nonsensical post ! My passionate distaste is for the false teachings, and lies perpetrated by churches whose aim is to fill their churches and ultimately their pockets. Maybe you are on the receiving end of those lies so your aim is to support it.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 14:00
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Raj, I get it. I understand what you're driving at. All I can say is, yes, .. I agree.
    Thanks. Glad to see that you are more honest about the state of Christianity than most here.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 14:03
    Is your judgemental generalisation based on you being mistreated by a "pentecostal" person at some time?
    If you are trying to analyze WHY Im making these statements you are going down the wrong road. Just concern yourself with the truthfulness of what Im saying. TRUTH is the key.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 15:15

Perhaps you could re-read the accounts of Moses the murderer, David the adulterer (and murderer by intent) and Peter who renounced/denied Christ three times. Men after God's own heart, leader ...[text shortened]... ? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
    After reading this over Im certain you dont understand the Bible. Moses, David and Peter were all loved by God because of their devotion and works which pleased God. Many sinners are repentant but not all will receive forgiveness. God does not want anyone to sin and then ask for forgiveness, then sin and ask for forgiveness and over and over. God wants people to DO and PERFORM AND FOLLOW CHRIST'S COMMANDMENTS.

If you want I will be happy to discuss this further in another thread. Lets stop screwing up BdN's thread.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 15:38
    After reading this over Im certain you dont understand the Bible. Moses, David and Peter were all loved by God because of their devotion and works which pleased God. Many sinners are repentant but not all will receive forgiveness. God does not want anyone to sin and then ask for forgiveness, then sin and ask for forgiveness and over and over. God wants peop ...[text shortened]... I will be happy to discuss this further in another thread. Lets stop screwing up BdN's thread.
    I suggest an edit, to:

"After reading this over Im certain you dont understand the Bible the way I do."
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 16:00
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Does apophasis have any relevance today?
    Although there are limited examples of its use in Scripture (in Him there is no darkness and etc.,), most of Scripture is emphatic in its descriptions of God. Apophasis contains some aspects of agreement with the knowledge imparted by the Bible, namely, that God transcends all of creation, yet also contains error in the idea that God is ineffable.

Certainly, our understanding of God is limited and there is no denying the limitations of both our ability to understand or describe the entirety of His characteristics or personality. But He also clearly wants to be known and has made a concerted effort in imparting that which can be known about Him within the constraints of our parameters.

So I suppose I am saying that there is a partial relevance for the theology, albeit with a very fine line.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 16:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    I suggest an edit, to:

"After reading this over Im certain you dont understand the Bible the way I do."
    After carefully considering your suggestion, I have to say ".. I prefer it my way". Thanks anyhow.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 05:514 edits
    After reading this over Im certain you dont understand the Bible. Moses, David and Peter were all loved by God because of their devotion and works which pleased God. Many sinners are repentant but not all will receive forgiveness. God does not want anyone to sin and then ask for forgiveness, then sin and ask for forgiveness and over and over. God wants peop I will be happy to discuss this further in another thread. Lets stop screwing up BdN's thread.
    So you've decided that my post does now makes sense, but I know don't understand the Bible.

I gave you 3 examples of God's forgiveness of heinous crimes/sins committed, plus a quote from Jesus himself about the multiplication of forgiveness. Are you saying that it was their "devotion" that provided forgiveness? I.e their works? If so, I think you need to re-read the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

It's not my comprehension of God's mercy (in repentance) that prevents you from seeing how at the very least, this counterbalances your legalistic and condemnatory view of of God.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Mar '12 01:39
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Does apophasis have any relevance today?
    Never did. imo

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree