1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 08:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Influencing, perhaps.
    Defining, absolutely not.
    No matter what the wanna-be statisticians herein attempt to prove with their unfounded analysis of the information they spout, there are far too many 'exceptions to the rule,' as it were, which render such iron-clad proclamations null and void.
    An American atheist, a Chinese Christian, an Arab Buddhist, a Jew ...[text shortened]... ive that no one is bound by upbringing, education or circumstance, but rather, their own conscience.
    "... all proof positive that no one is bound by upbringing, education or circumstance, but rather, their own conscience." (italics mine)

Ditto
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 08:151 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33 (OP)
    The defining factors of any belief system?
    Faith Perception always requires absolute authority as its anchor point on terra firma.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 08:16
    FreakyKBH: all proof positive that no one is bound by upbringing, education or circumstance, but rather, their own conscience.

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Ditto
    The rhetorical error/rhetorical trick both you and FreakyKBH are engaging in is that you are ignoring the fact that no one claims that a person is "bound" by upbringing, education, location or circumstance.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 08:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Faith Perception always requires absolute authority as its anchor point on terra firma.
    Isn't this, in so many words, the same as Dasa's riff?
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 12:57
    Influencing, perhaps.
    Defining, absolutely not.
    No matter what the wanna-be statisticians herein attempt to prove with their unfounded analysis of the information they spout, there are far too many 'exceptions to the rule,' as it were, which render such iron-clad proclamations null and void.
    An American atheist, a Chinese Christian, an Arab Buddhist, a ...[text shortened]... that no one is bound by upbringing, education or circumstance, but rather, their own conscience.
    Perhaps I should have wrote influences instead of factors. Of course there's going to be exceptions to the rule, we are after all humans but I would still argue that a Christian breeding an atheist would still be a result of their upbringing or general day to day interactions with other people.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 14:381 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Perhaps I should have wrote influences instead of factors. Of course there's going to be exceptions to the rule, we are after all humans but I would still argue that a Christian breeding an atheist would still be a result of their upbringing or general day to day interactions with other people.
    So when a Christian and an atheist have a child does that child become an agnostic?

If so, it could be all about genetics. 😛
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 17:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    "... all proof positive that no one is bound by upbringing, education or circumstance, but rather, their own conscience .."

NO

You need to study statistics.
    Why in God's name would I need to follow your advice on studying statistics when you're applying them incorrectly?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 17:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think anyone would claim that people are "bound" by upbringing, education, location or circumstance (indeed I know numerous Christians here who converted from Islam, and also Muslims who converted from Christianity), but the very uneven distribution of what religions and beliefs are founded on people's own consciences quite clearly is largely determined ...[text shortened]... ifiably and understandably ~ defined and identified as being Christian, or Muslim, or Hindu etc.
    I don't disagree on all points, but I consider much of the input is more a result of 'identified as' than necessarily personally-held beliefs.
    Most religious adherents are woefully under-informed on the basic tenets of their given religion--- and that 'given' is far more influential than anything else.
    As you pointed out, people are raised in a system and--- for purposes of surveys and census takers--- are considered in their respective categories by default, or unless otherwise denounced.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 19:361 edit
    I don't disagree on all points, but I consider much of the input is more a result of 'identified as' than necessarily personally-held beliefs.
    Most religious adherents are woefully under-informed on the basic tenets of their given religion--- and that 'given' is far more influential than anything else.
    As you pointed out, people are raised in a system an ...[text shortened]... kers--- are considered in their respective categories by default, or unless otherwise denounced.
    If you'd been born and grown up in the street I live in here, you would most likely be a Muslim now and you'd probably have been just as convinced of your Islamic beliefs as you now are of your Christian ones. Talking about how "woefully under-informed" you might or might not be, or would have been if you'd grown up differently from how you did, is all a red herring.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '16 23:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    So when a Christian and an atheist have a child does that child become an agnostic?
    Depends who wins the custody battle 😉
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 02:33
    Why in God's name would I need to follow your advice on studying statistics when you're applying them incorrectly?
    It's a while since I obtained my honours degree in Maths but I doubt you have any
    qualification in Stats, Math or any science.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 02:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It's a while since I obtained my honours degree in Maths but I doubt you have any
    qualification in Stats, Math or any science.
    He's already unilaterally declared you to have been thinking "incorrectly", so you're toast. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree