1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '17 15:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The interesting part to me is that anyone would care about capitals vs small letters. Why did it matter to wolfgang59 that capitals were used?
    ?
    His name was given to him by his mother.
    I checked with Internal Affairs and they confirmed his name was the two capital
    letters and not upper-case then lower-case or separated by a full stop.
    That is his LEGAL name.
    Anything else is NOT his legal name.

Clear?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '17 15:19
    Why did it matter to anyone that the second letter be a capital in the computer?
    TWhIThead
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '17 15:20
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]No computer system could handle it (including government agencies)
    Doctor, hospital, dentist, library, school, none could handle two capital letters.

There's no reason that any given computer system wouldn't be able to handle your situation. Evidently you just coincidently hit a string of poorly conceived systems that have overly restrictive va ...[text shortened]... e!![/b]

Would have been much better if the computer systems you encountered weren't so daft.[/b]
    I agree with you on both counts but the reality is that none of the
    systems could record his legal name as it appears on his birth certificate.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '17 16:555 edits
    The interesting part to me is that anyone would care about capitals vs small letters. Why did it matter to wolfgang59 that capitals were used?
    What do they do with say Chinese or Hindi names that are 'properly' written in the characters of the native language? Do the computer systems cater for all writing systems? If not, and phonetic versions are the st ...[text shortened]... y in the UTF-8 character set?
    Should countries allow names such as ☀☆☘ to be used on passports?
    Why did it matter to wolfgang59 that capitals were used?
    I thought W59 had made it quite clear.

The interesting part to me is that anyone would care about capitals vs small letters.

It's not that difficult to imagine.

For example, the difference between MacAvoy and Macavoy.

Or the difference between Joanne and JoAnne. I know someone who was named the former, but it was pronounced the latter. She said she was forever having to correct people, so she used the latter for the most part, but there were situations where she'd have to use the former since it was on her birth certificate.

Most pointedly, consider the difference between Ty and TY.

As to the rest, if you're really interested, you should read this article that appeared about 5 years ago in the George Washington Law Review. It's both amusing and instructive. It's really comprehensive.

http://www.gwlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/80-1-Larson.pdf
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '17 17:071 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I agree with you on both counts but the reality is that none of the
    systems could record his legal name as it appears on his birth certificate.
    I spent over 25 years in software working on a lot of different systems. What you describe is ,well, just plain stupid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree