1. St. Peter's
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 02:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, right, there is no evil.

Sure.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Dualism theologies are reality. Non-dualism deals in fantasy, the desire for man to somehow NOT be driven by a sin-nature.
    read much? I didn't say there wasn't evil, I said we shouldn't blame the evil in the world on some boogie man. What is evil? can you define it? what is good?

The bible says that only God is good. There is no power that can corrupt God, nothing that can cause him to change. To say that an evil power has the ability to stand against God would be the same as saying that God is not all powerful. Therefor evil as you understand it does not exist.

I think of evil this way: evil is the absence of good, or the twisting of what is neutral to devious selfish ends. Take money and power for example. Neither of these things are inherently evil, it is in how we use or covet them that make them evil. The "devil" doesn't need to be up to hijinks tricking people into evil, we do that all on our own.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 13:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the video clip worth watching? I rarely, if ever, look at linked videos offered in this forum, especially if the OP does not provide a summary.
    I fully endorse this recurring complaint, similar to the one Suzy made in the Church-and-State thread.

Yet people continue doing it!!

Just showing their utter contempt and laziness.

😠😠
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 12:41
    I didn't go see the video, but just off the top of my head, I would think there's a huge difference between "God's people" and JWs.

Even your Matthew quote suggests that the narrow gate is for those who follow Christ, and not ONLY for the JWs.
    Yes you are right. No one but Jehovah and his son knows who will be the ones who qaulify to be called "God's people" and survive into a new world of peice.
    But that is why the Bible was written which is to give us clues, laws, regulations and guidelines as to what God expects of us in order to qualify.
    According to this scripture it is not an easy thing to accomplish and only at that time will any of us know, which is a mistake that some here make in believing the opposite and think they are saved now.
    Again the Bible says he, Jehovah, would have a people for his "name" which is Jehovah, not god, lord or Jesus.
    If one does not honor the God of all creation even with basic respect of using his name when they speak of him or to him, that would be a disrespectful step in the wrong direction of not making it thru that narrow gate.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 12:49
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes you are right. No one but Jehovah and his son knows who will be the ones who qaulify to be called "God's people" and survive into a new world of peice.
    Even your Matthew quote suggests that the narrow gate is for those who follow Christ, and not ONLY for the JWs.

Yes you are right.

Are you admitting here that not just JWs can be "God's people"?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 13:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    "Tub thumping"? Indeed, it will be world class rejoicing when ALL religions die. Then maybe mankind will have a chance at racial maturity. Till then, we are programmed to be duped.
    "Indeed, it will be world class rejoicing when ALL religions die."

I couldn't agree more. That day will come.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 14:06
    Originally posted by Doward
    blaming the boogie man Satan for making the world bad is a copout. It is mankind that created this mess. There is no biblical basis for Satan having the power to corrupt God's creation. Dualist theologies are heretical. Evil has no counter balancing power to good, and God and his plans cannot be affected by any power.
    I think Satan does have an affect or else we wouldn't be told that, "...Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices."

Besides that I think humans actually cause Satan a certain amount of consternation given we don't always do what he wills whether believer or not.

Satan's power is no match for God's. Dualism isn't a factor in Christian theology in terms of its definition. Evil is not equal with good.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Dec '14 15:37
    Again the Bible says he, Jehovah, would have a people for his "name" which is Jehovah, not god, lord or Jesus.
    Let's take a look at this from another angle, if you don't mind.

We know Jesus was known as "the Christ", even in His own lifetime. In this regard, certainly, the Lord having a "people" for His "name" would be His "chosen" people among the Gentiles, or the "Christians".
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Dec '14 15:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Indeed, it will be world class rejoicing when ALL religions die."

I couldn't agree more. That day will come.[/b]
    Religion is not the culprit here.

It is MEN with agendas, like those who would call for the death of "religion".
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 00:51
    Originally posted by Doward
    read much? I didn't say there wasn't evil, I said we shouldn't blame the evil in the world on some boogie man. What is evil? can you define it? what is good?

The bible says that only God is good. There is no power that can corrupt God, nothing that can cause him to change. To say that an evil power has the ability to stand against God would be the same as ...[text shortened]... e "devil" doesn't need to be up to hijinks tricking people into evil, we do that all on our own.
    I don't believe anyone is saying that Satan has the ability to stand against God. Satan resists the will of God just as we sometimes do. But those that continue to resist against God will not be standing in the end, but will be in the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 16:37
    It is MEN with agendas, like those who would call for the death of "religion".
    I think there's a difference between having an agenda and having doctrine. The man of faith functions according to the doctrine of God, while the unbeliever, or faithless, operate according to their own authority or to the authority of other men.

They are the religious ones.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 17:28
    Let's take a look at this from another angle, if you don't mind.

We know Jesus was known as "the Christ", even in His own lifetime. In this regard, certainly, the Lord having a "people" for His "name" would be His "chosen" people among the Gentiles, or the "Christians".
    No problem. But whom are you speaking of and their name? Are you refering to Jesus or his Father Jehovah? The scripture in Acts in the next section is speaking about Jehovah, not Jesus.

“A PEOPLE FOR HIS NAME”

" At a meeting of the governing body of first-century Christians held in 49 C.E., the disciple James stated: “Symeon [Peter] has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.” (((((Acts 15:14))))))) This new people bearing Jehovah’s name would include both Jewish and non-Jewish believers. (Rom. 11:25, 26a) Later, Peter wrote: “You were once not a people, but now you are God’s people.” Peter outlined their mission by stating: “You are ‘a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies’ of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” (1 Pet. 2:9, 10) They were to sound forth the praises of the One they represented and publicly glorify his name. They were to be courageous witnesses for Jehovah, the Universal Sovereign.

As had been true of fleshly Israel, members of spiritual Israel were the ones Jehovah called “the people whom I formed for myself so that they might declare my praise.” (Isa. 43:21) Exposing all the false gods that were being worshipped at that time, those early Christians boldly proclaimed that Jehovah is the one true God. (1 Thess. 1:9) They bore witness to Jehovah and to Jesus “in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.”—Acts 1:8; Col. 1:23.

An intrepid member of the first-century “people for [Jehovah’s] name” was the apostle Paul. Standing before pagan philosophers, he boldly defended the sovereignty of Jehovah, “the God who made the world and all the things in it, being, as he is, Lord of heaven and earth.” (Acts 17:18, 23-25) Toward the end of his third missionary journey, Paul warned members of God’s name people: “I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.” (Acts 20:29, 30) This foretold apostasy had clearly manifested itself by the end of the first century.—1 John 2:18, 19.

After the death of the apostles, that apostasy blossomed and produced the churches of Christendom. Far from proving to be “a people for [Jehovah’s] name,” apostate Christians have even removed the divine name from many of their translations of the Bible. They have adopted pagan rituals and have dishonored God by their unscriptural dogmas, their “holy wars,” and their immoral conduct. Thus, for centuries, Jehovah had just a sprinkling of faithful worshippers on the earth but no organized “people for his name.”
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 20:11
    No problem. But whom are you speaking of and their name? Are you refering to Jesus or his Father Jehovah? The scripture in Acts in the next section is speaking about Jehovah, not Jesus.

“A PEOPLE FOR HIS NAME”

" At a meeting of the governing body of first-century Christians held in 49 C.E., the disciple James stated: “ ...[text shortened]... d just a sprinkling of faithful worshippers on the earth but no organized “people for his name.”
    Still battling away against ignorance Gman! I don't know where you get the patience - regards to the Brothers across there in the frozen north 😀
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 20:181 edit
    They were to be courageous witnesses for Jehovah, the Universal Sovereign.

(((((((((((((((( but ))))))))))))))))))

They were commanded to be witnesses of JESUS -

Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and unto the uttermost parts of the earth."

Do you see Jesus Christ commanding the first disciples to be witnesses of Himself, Jesus, "My witnesses" ?

Jehovah was now the crucified and resurrected Man - Jesus.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '14 07:14
    Originally posted by sonship
    They were commanded to be witnesses of JESUS -

Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and unto the uttermost parts of the earth."

Do you see Jesus Christ commanding the first disciples to be witnesses of Himself, Jesus, "My witnesses" ?

Jehovah was now the crucified and resurrected Man - Jesus.
    Don't bother, they won't listen.
  15. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    25 Dec '14 09:59
    I think it is important to remember that not all Jehovah Witnesses are bad. Some have the ability to think and reason. It is this ability that allows these particular individuals to actually reach people and get through.

I know that when I was studying with the Witnesses and later became one, nothing aggravated me more than copy and pasting. Especially where I had always been blessed with the gift of being articulate. I also hated having the door slammed in my face because householders assumed I was the same copy and paste Witness they had always encountered.

The point is not every Christian is the same Witnesses included.

Beau

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree