1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 03:17
    Originally posted by veritas101
    Uhhhm... ever wondered why you write 2008 at the end of your date? Do some research sonny...
    That practice was established in the sixth century, and it wasn't until the eighth century that it was
    adopted by the West. This doesn't prove anything about whether Jesus existed or not!

That's like saying Christmas proves that Jesus' birthday was on 25 December.

Nemesio
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:143 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    That practice was established in the sixth century, and it wasn't until the eighth century that it was
    adopted by the West. This doesn't prove anything about whether Jesus existed or not!

That's like saying Christmas proves that Jesus' birthday was on 25 December.

Nemesio
    Well then you may just as well throw away all your history books since they prove nothing.(according to you)

How do you know for sure that the practise was established in the sixth century? You believe the history books don't cha?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:27
    Well then you may just as well throw away all your history books since they prove nothing.

How do you know for sure that the practise was established in the sixth century? You believe the history books don't cha?
    Wait...weren't you just telling someone to do research 2 posts ago?! 🙄
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Wait...weren't you just telling someone to do research 2 posts ago?! 🙄
    Ever heard of sarcasm before?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:35
    Ever heard of sarcasm before?
    Yes; is that what you were attempting up there?

Keep trying though. You've got nowhere to go but up.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:38
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes; is that what you were attempting up there?

Keep trying though. You've got nowhere to go but up.
    Thanks. I'm not very good at it, I know.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 06:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    He was real. Roman sources says so.
    Reliable Roman sources with direct information, or Roman sources who reported hearing about Christianity?
    I often see people make the claim that Jesus' existence was independently verified, but for some reason nobody ever provides any references.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 07:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Reliable Roman sources with direct information, or Roman sources who reported hearing about Christianity?
    I often see people make the claim that Jesus' existence was independently verified, but for some reason nobody ever provides any references.
    Do you ever take any history books seriously? Or do you just pick the ones you like?
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 07:24
    Well then you may just as well throw away all your history books since they prove nothing.(according to you)

Um, what? You told me to do research on why we use the current dating system. It turns out
    that, rather than 'proving' Jesus was real, that it was a system imposed some 500+ years after
    Jesus' putative existence. I used my history resources to verify this claim. Why would I throw
    them out? Because they disagree with your idea that this proves that 'Jesus' existed?

What research do you have to contradict this claim?

Nemesio
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 07:28
    Originally posted by jacko11
    what do you think give your answers
    What do you mean by real?
    What does it take to make someone real?

As far as I can tell, most documentation about the life of Jesus was written at least 150 years after his death. He didn't write anything himself. He was never painted and he never painted. He didn't leave anything "observable" in his wake like art, poetry, whatever.

Outside of the bible there's one reference to him by a Roman scholar of the time... I believe.

So, even if he did live, you have to take matters with a pinch of salt.
    On the other hand... do you exist?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I cannot give any references either.

But the interesting is not weather he existed or not, the interesting part is if he is a human being of blood and flesh, like you and me. Or if he is of divine origin? Whose sperm gave rise to this child? Joseph, another man not known for anyone but Maria herself, or some holy spirit?

At those times, many people claimed a messiah title. But Jesus was selected, of some reason to be this Messiah. If not Jesus, anyone could be the Messiah. A Messiah was needed by the people to start a counter-force to the Roman powers.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:59
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Um, what? You told me to do research on why we use the current dating system. It turns out
    that, rather than 'proving' Jesus was real, that it was a system imposed some 500+ years after
    Jesus' putative existence. I used my history resources to verify this claim. Why would I throw
    them out? Because they disagree with your idea that this proves that 'Jesus' existed?

What research do you have to contradict this claim?

Nemesio
    So you think the 40 odd historians that wrote about Jesus were just sucking it all out their thumbs?
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 10:51
    So you think the 40 odd historians that wrote about Jesus were just sucking it all out their thumbs?
    Which historians, during Jesus' life ever wrote about him?

Show me the list please, so I can check your sources.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 11:01
    Do you ever take any history books seriously? Or do you just pick the ones you like?
    I take some history books seriously, and think others are full of made up lies. I think the vast majority have a mixture of material and an analysis, cross referencing and common sense is required to tell the difference. But that is besides the point. I have not questioned the accuracy of any history books (except the New Testament books if you want to categorize them as History, which I do not), and you have not provided any reference to any history books.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 11:04
    Your list is a little short. I can guarantee that the number of historians who have written about Jesus is in the millions. I don't think all of them were sucking it all out of their thumbs (obviously they got the name from somewhere). But I also don't think you can reference a single historian who actually met Jesus in person.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree