1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 20:03
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You ever played poker? Or any other gambling game?

A bet involves not only the stakes, but the odds. The stakes [eternal torment] may indeed be high, but the odds - of your specific 'god' existing are vanishingly small. A much smaller ratio than the stakes, if I read the cards rightly.
    And unfortunately the "eternal torment" card, is a bluff.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 23:051 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You should be very sure of what you are telling people.

I am sure you read at the conclusion of Revelation and the conclusion of the Bible -

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this scroll;

And if anyone takes away from the words of ths scroll of this prophecy God will take away his part from the tree of life and out of the holy city, which are written in this scroll." (Rev. 22:18,19)

Don't you think you should consider God's warning before you cavalierly call His word bluffing here and there?

This warning of Revelation 22:18,19 appears to me that God foreknew that some people would want to subtract certain undesirable teachings out of the scroll. It also appears that He foreknew that some would want to add words to nullify what is written.

IE. Revelation 14 speaks of the undiluted wrath of God. We may be tempted to add our own opinions to "dilute" what God says will be undiluted.

" ... IF anyone worships the beast and his image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, He also shall drink of the wine of the fury of God, which is mixed UNDILUTED in the cup of His wrath; and shall be tormented in fire and brimestone before the holy angels and before the Lamb." (Rev. 14:9,10)

I'd think really carefully before I added to the Gospel that this was a bluff.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    You should be very sure of what you are telling people.
    Cheeky. You preach the error of the trinity in virtually every thread you start.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:201 edit
    Cheeky. You preach the error of the trinity in virtually every thread you start.

Give me your strongest example.
    Don't bother about second and third strongest.
    Go right to your strongest example of a post of mine that preaches "the error of the trinity".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:28
    What A Friend We Have In Jesus
    Yes. If you don't believe He is your friend He tortures you in a burning furnace for eternity. Mmm, yes, what a friend we have in "Jesus". 😉
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:34
    But that does not mean the odds are any more in his favor, though.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:38
    Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities — the political, the religious, the educational authorities — who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing — forming in our minds — their view of reality.
    -T. Leary
    Ol' Tim had a few too many acid trips.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:40
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    RJHinds,
    Jesus must have died. He came to offer salvation to the world.

King James Version
    ==============

Luke 24: 18-27
    And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?

And he said unto them, What things? And ...[text shortened]... nd all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
    This is a wonderful section of Luke. Thanks for posting it.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:42
    You ever played poker? Or any other gambling game?

A bet involves not only the stakes, but the odds. The stakes [eternal torment] may indeed be high, but the odds - of your specific 'god' existing are vanishingly small. A much smaller ratio than the stakes, if I read the cards rightly.
    Aye, there's the rub, no?

I merely answer succinctly, "no, you read them wrongly."
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 23:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But if you gamble, what is to be won or lost in your game?
    No, Ron, Pascal's Wager is a fool's bet. You cannot fool God.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '14 04:28

Give me your strongest example.
    Don't bother about second and third strongest.
    Go right to your strongest example of a post of mine that preaches "the error of the trinity".
    What? The trinity doctrine is error so by default every time you defend it (which is virtually every post you make outside of defending eternal suffering), is therefore error.
  12. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:392 edits
    BigDoggProblem and Others,

If some of you want to gamble with your souls, then consider the verses below.

King James Version
    ==============

Matthew 7: 13, 14
    Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:45
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    BigDoggProblem and Others,

If some of you want to gamble with your souls, then consider the verses below.

King James Version
    ==============

Matthew 7: 13, 14
    Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    There is no such thing as a soul. We don't live on after death.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Aye, there's the rub, no?

I merely answer succinctly, "no, you read them wrongly."
    And we remain at the same impasse, which is OK with me. I feel no need to win converts for atheism. If your faith makes you happy, stick with it.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ol' Tim had a few too many acid trips.
    Perhaps. But this particular quote is quite apt.

Besides, I never believe 100% of anything anyone says. Even if many of his other quotes are mumbo jumbo, I'd still like this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree