1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 04:001 edit
    we have heard from many of the 'Christians', that there are many avenues of service open to the faithful, like caring for the sick, being kind to those related to us in the faith, doing relief work etc etc.

What seems to me, quite astounding, is how anyone, after reading the scriptural account of Christ and the first century Christians, could not help but be struck by the dynamic effect a public ministry had on those to whom Gods Kingdom reached. Peter and the apostles 'filled Jerusalem with this teaching', Paul stated that the Good News had 'gone out into the most distant parts of the earth'.

Christendom is huge, no doubt, but where has this public ministry dissipated to? what are the reasons for its demise? how important is it to Christians? how important is it to those who are not?

Every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.—Acts 5:42
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 04:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    we have heard from many of the 'Christians', that there are many avenues of service open to the faithful, like caring for the sick, being kind to those related to us in the faith, doing relief work etc etc.

What seems to me, quite astounding, is how anyone, after reading the scriptural account of Christ and the first century Christians, could no ...[text shortened]... without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.—Acts 5:42
    [/b]
    The public ministry has changed according to the avenues of communication available today. One can hear about Jesus in many places by listening to the radio (certain stations) or turning on certain television stations. Bibles are readily available in many countries, and in others people risk their lives to sneak them in. And personally, I don't want people knocking on my door with religious information. Stick a flyer in my door or assume that as I am an adult in the Western Hemisphere, it's unlikely that you're going to tell me something I haven't already heard, i.e. it's just not News any more.

I would prefer that people preach with their actions rather than words. For example, I have relatives who belong to some sort of evangelical Christian church in Tennessee. They were by far the most rude, hostile, inhospitable people I ever met when we had to go down there to take care of a family matter. The one who was the worst also happened to be an elder in his church. If he goes knocking on doors, he's wasting his breath.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 04:333 edits
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    The public ministry has changed according to the avenues of communication available today. One can hear about Jesus in many places by listening to the radio (certain stations) or turning on certain television stations. Bibles are readily available in many countries, and in others people risk their lives to sneak them in. And personally, I don't want p ened to be an elder in his church. If he goes knocking on doors, he's wasting his breath.
    mmmm, again this seems to me to be a failure rather than a feature, for its quite impersonal? Is it not? how many persons connect with a pamphlet? i know when i get them i just chuck them in the bin, i do not give them a second thought? same with radio stations, i think, who really listens to this, its so banal, I wanna listen to Rock Radio and hear some Deep purple when i am driving or listening to the radio, not some Sunday school choir, or those horrible, 'thought for the day', type sermons that one is subject to on U.K radio four! Again there is no connection, its a one way street! plus, what are we really learning? nothing, for its a purely one way system and this is by definition is not teaching, but merely publicising, or 'preaching', as its referred to? who likes to be preached at? no one i know? can you see the difference?

It very interesting that you evaluate the action and have found it to be synonymous with hypocrisy, and is it any wonder, that a person would be like a crashing symbol, a hollow piece of metal, making a large sound, but abrasive and with no substance? i would not listen to them either.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 09:35
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    The public ministry has changed according to the avenues of communication available today. One can hear about Jesus in many places by listening to the radio (certain stations) or turning on certain television stations. Bibles are readily available in many countries, and in others people risk their lives to sneak them in. And personally, I don't want p ...[text shortened]... ened to be an elder in his church. If he goes knocking on doors, he's wasting his breath.
    But "IF" you happened to be one that is interested in learning new things about the Bible and was one searching for Bible truths because you were wanting them, then there would be no better way for you to learn then by someone coming to your house and having a systematic study of the Bible with you. Also if you had questions about a certian subject in the Bible, they would be there in person to help you research and find the answers your looking for. Something that would be hard to do if it was just a radio station you were listening to or just reading a flyer.
    So you personally my not be interested but we find there are thousands each year that are. So your are wrong. Those other avenues of communication do not do this work in an efficient way that Jesus himself told us to do.
    The Bible to some is almost like learning a new language, a spiritual language. Isn't it easier to learn a new language with a teacher in person then it would be to just listen from a radio or TV?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:37
    Originally posted by galveston75
    But "IF" you happened to be one that is interested in learning new things about the Bible and was one searching for Bible truths because you were wanting them, then there would be no better way for you to learn then by someone coming to your house and having a systematic study of the Bible with you. Also if you had questions about a certian subject in th ...[text shortened]... n a new language with a teacher in person then it would be to just listen from a radio or TV?
    i knew the 'christians', would not touch this Galvo, perhaps its a little too close to the bone for them, who can tell!
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 15:47
    I steadfastly maintain that the extent of one's 'ministering' should be confined to making oneself an example that others would wish to emulate. Actions speak louder than words, and the correctness of one's position will make itself known through those actions. Nothing more should be needed. To resort to evangelism is to expose the basic weakness of one's position for all to see.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 16:321 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I steadfastly maintain that the extent of one's 'ministering' should be confined to making oneself an example that others would wish to emulate. Actions speak louder than words, and the correctness of one's position will make itself known through those actions. Nothing more should be needed. To resort to evangelism is to expose the basic weakness of one's position for all to see.
    why should it be confined to ones example? for there are many good examples that shall never see the light of day! nor that ever inspired emulation. Its a basic failure also of this thought, for there are many bad examples which equally inspire others to misconduct. Christianity is dynamic, or should i say, at its inception, it was dynamic, it transcended every known creed and boundary, showed no respect for wealth nor property, for all were held to be brothers. This type of thing cannot be hidden away, nor confined to ones example, it is a living faith, or should be, and must have its completion in works. Nor should a Christian be afraid of anything, for we have a wonderful example and a beautiful message of reconciliation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree