1. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 14:11
    I have yet to see Hindus or Buddists, leading violent demonstrations and making death threats, because some newpaper published something offensive. Or carrying out public excecutiions for minor offenses.[/b]
    Go to India and see the women burnt alive for acting outside their faith. Groups terrorising a family, killing mindlessly for being Muslim and authorities turning a blind eye. The same goes for Tibetan buddhists who practice Puja's / Guru Yoga outside of that prescribed by the majority.

Extremism does exist everywhere. But as with everything some more than others and some reported more than others. I would agree though, that currently, certain groups associating themselves with religion are using their religion to political ends and advocating extreme violent actions.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 14:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I must note that when I was at University, a number of petty thieves were stoned to death by the students. This is in a self proclaimed Christian nation, and most of the students involved were Christian.
    This is a disgusting crime. Would you kindly please comment further regarding the specific conditions? How did that bunch of "students" got in grips with them thieves and how did they managed to sone them to death and walk away?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 14:43
    Originally posted by black beetle
    This is a disgusting crime. Would you kindly please comment further regarding the specific conditions? How did that bunch of "students" got in grips with them thieves and how did they managed to sone them to death and walk away?
    Mob justice is fairly common practice in Zambia. In this particular case if someone who was obviously not a student was spotted stealing on Campus, everyone nearby would shout "Thief" or the equivalent in the local language "Kawalala". They would then give chase.
    I never personally witnessed that part, but I was told that people would try to stop the thief with anything from bricks to iron bars.
    Once caught some students would proceed to kick, punch or stone the thief while a smaller number tried to stop that and protect the thief so he to could be taken to the security people.
    I think the survival rate was around 50%.
    I found it amazing that some of my friends and aqaintances who spent much of their time preaching Christianity, were amongst those who tried to kill the thief. They did not seem to see any conflict with their religion.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 15:08
    Mob justice is fairly common practice in Zambia. In this particular case if someone who was obviously not a student was spotted stealing on Campus, everyone nearby would shout "Thief" or the equivalent in the local language "Kawalala". They would then give chase.
    I never personally witnessed that part, but I was told that people would try to stop the thi ...[text shortened]... hose who tried to kill the thief. They did not seem to see any conflict with their religion.
    Tragic.
    We will not be free from these horrible crimes as long as we try to find excuse for recognizing Judge Lynch under the so called "specific circumstances", theists and atheist alike.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 00:42
    Originally posted by yavash
    Go to India and see the women burnt alive for acting outside their faith. Groups terrorising a family, killing mindlessly for being Muslim and authorities turning a blind eye. The same goes for Tibetan buddhists who practice Puja's / Guru Yoga outside of that prescribed by the majority.

Extremism does exist everywhere. But as with everything some more than ...[text shortened]... ith religion are using their religion to political ends and advocating extreme violent actions.
    Can you see a difference between normal religious violence and religious extremism sanctioned by both the state and the religion concerned? Try to understand the difference.

Women being burned and groups terrorising people are sanctioned neither by Hindiusm nor the Indian Govt.

But a muslim girl in Somalia, accused of adultery, buried up to her neck and stoned to death by a mob, in a football stadium with 1000 people watching was sanctioned by the Somalia Govt and the Islamic faith.

I hope you understand the difference. Religious extremism which is justified in the religion and sanctioned by the government is dangerous, and virtually impossible to eliminate.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 05:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Can you see a difference between normal religious violence and religious extremism sanctioned by both the state and the religion concerned? Try to understand the difference.

Women being burned and groups terrorising people are sanctioned neither by Hindiusm nor the Indian Govt.

But a muslim girl in Somalia, accused of adultery, buried up to her neck an ...[text shortened]... e religion and sanctioned by the government is dangerous, and virtually impossible to eliminate.
    What you don't realize is that religion is only part of the story.In Zambia there are many barbaric practices that have little or nothing to do with religion. If a woman wears a mini-skirt that is too short in some places she risks being stripped naked.
    In South Africa, a number of foreigners were murdered by mobs for the mere 'crime' of being a foreigner. Again, no religion involved.
    I fully agree that religion can be and often is used as an excuse and when it gets into government it is a major problem. But this applies to religion in general. The US suffers from the exact same problems. Bush once announced that God told him to attack Iraq and as a result some people would not criticize the move.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 11:46
    What you don't realize is that religion is only part of the story.In Zambia there are many barbaric practices that have little or nothing to do with religion. If a woman wears a mini-skirt that is too short in some places she risks being stripped naked.
    In South Africa, a number of foreigners were murdered by mobs for the mere 'crime' of being a foreigne ...[text shortened]... ed that God told him to attack Iraq and as a result some people would not criticize the move.
    I understand your point and we are saying the same thing.

I said :Women being burned and groups terrorising people are sanctioned neither by Hindiusm nor the Indian Govt.

Obviously I know that religion is not the whole story. Cultural, economic and social influences play a part. I live in a very violent society myself. The year is only about 40 days old and we have already had around 75 violent murders in a small population of 1.3M, and nothing to do with religion.

Bush's statement was not condoned by Christianity. Some religious rightwingers would have believed him but overall he was laughed at and ridiculed for that statement. So in a society like the USA, others will learn not to make such foolish comments. I doubt that happens in Islam.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 12:091 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I doubt that happens in Islam.
    I am sure it does happen in Islam. Just not in the countries you like to pick on. It has as much to do with education levels and culture as it does with religion.
    The Muslims I know are fairly civilized people and not much different from Christians in most regards.

And if 'others will learn not to make such foolish comments' one wonders why the president made it. Even in Zambia our former president Chiluba has made very similar comments (and been ridiculed by some) yet he continues to do it because however ridiculous it may sound he gets some significant support from Christians simply because he claims to be Christian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree