1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 20:22
    Here is one of the more difficult verses that I am unable to understand. I've never heard anyone explain it. I'm interested in any one's view of it's meaning.

Genesis 11:6
    And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: AND NOW NOTHING WILL BE RESTRAINED FROM THEM, WHICH THEY HAVE IMAGINED TO DO.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 20:30
    Originally posted by josephw
    Here is one of the more difficult verses that I am unable to understand. I've never heard anyone explain it. I'm interested in any one's view of it's meaning.

Genesis 11:6
    And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: AND NOW NOTHING WILL BE RESTRAINED FROM THEM, WHICH THEY HAVE IMAGINED TO DO.
    Perhaps there are a number of points to the Tower of Babel story. I found it very helpful to look at this story as a metaphor so it can be applied to the modern world. At a basic level, look at the "tower" as unbridled success without humility.
  3. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 20:40
    I've always taken it to mean that if we co-operate we can achieve anything.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 20:45
    Originally posted by Lukerik
    I've always taken it to mean that if we co-operate we can achieve anything.
    Yes, but there is a "shadow" to this. Not all achievement is good. Many a bad war was aided by the "cooperation" of fools.
  5. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 20:51
    True. And in this chapter we would have entered Heaven by the wrong path, but most potential wars are averted by co-operation and all wars are started because two groups do not.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Perhaps there are a number of points to the Tower of Babel story. I found it very helpful to look at this story as a metaphor so it can be applied to the modern world. At a basic level, look at the "tower" as unbridled success without humility.
    Yes. I think that says it. But what do you think it was that they IMAGINED they could do?
  7. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:15
    Yes. I think that says it. But what do you think it was that they IMAGINED they could do?
    verse 4 "let us build a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name..."
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:25
    verse 4 "let us build a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name..."
    Do you think they imagined they could dethrone God?
  9. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:36
    Do you think they imagined they could dethrone God?
    Well I don't think it specifically says they wanted to do that but I guess whether they did, or whether they just wanted to get into Heaven we could still interpret the story in the light of Kirksey's original post. I don't think it would be inconsistant with human nature.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:43
    Well I don't think it specifically says they wanted to do that but I guess whether they did, or whether they just wanted to get into Heaven we could still interpret the story in the light of Kirksey's original post. I don't think it would be inconsistant with human nature.
    I guess what I am suggesting is that there is a "throne room" in the heart of man, and most will not allow God his rightful place in their heart.

Do you read the account in Genesis as literal?
  11. Standard memberStregone
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:54
    I guess what I am suggesting is that there is a "throne room" in the heart of man, and most will not allow God his rightful place in their heart.

What does this imply: Throne room in the heart of man? Perhaps that man/men(women) are supposed to ascend to the god within themselves?
    As regards to a literal interpretation of the bible: when do you? should you?
  12. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 21:59

No, I think race and language have evolved over time but as a result of God's will. This chapter strikes me as true in a metaphorical sense and I accept it as part of an explanation as to why we would be divided in the ways that we are. I'm not a scholar and don't pretend to have a grasp of the many ways the Torah can be interpreted but I do think much of it's beauty comes from it's ability to have different truths found in the same place by different people.
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Aug '07 00:44

Just substitute whatever form of idolatry you want in place of the "tower." A couple of years ago I was listening to an account of a woman who got addicted to plastic surgery. She was an attractive woman, but succumbed to the peer pressure and had her boobs done. Then her face and on and on. Ultimately she looked hidious. But this was not the end of the story. Her implants ruptured and she developed and auto-immune disease from this.

This is a good example of why it is more necessary for Scripture to be relevent rather than literal.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Aug '07 01:21
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ARTIFICIAL_LIFE?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree