1. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 15:36
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No, that there are several levels of heaven?
    Yes. Why did Paul use the expression 'third heaven'?

Jewish writings identify 7 levels of heaven.... read a bit more on it.

The bible is not a book that has the answer to everything.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 15:51
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Yes. Why did Paul use the expression 'third heaven'?

Jewish writings identify 7 levels of heaven.... read a bit more on it.

The bible is not a book that has the answer to everything.
    No, it requires other studies as well.
    But they are studies that help one understand what is written.
    From my studies, there is one heaven and earth.
    There is no such thing as several levels of heaven.
    I believe Paul was referring to the third heaven as a future heaven that he received in a vision. It does not yet exist.
    The three heavens are simply in time, not actual places.
    The first is past, the second is now, the third is yet future.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 16:061 edit
    Nope .. and you know that I believe that already...🙂
    Indeed, but I like to hear you say it every now and again. it's strangely reassuring.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:16
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Indeed, but I like to hear you say it every now and again. it's strangely reassuring.
    Here is something that might be even more reassuring.

Jesus was very clear that it is not what a man says, but what a man DOES that counts. Here is a parable from Christ on this issue:

A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. Whether of them twain did the will of his father? (Matthew 21:28-31 KJV)

Maybe Christ would show himself to you one day as he did with Paul, and send you off on a mission that will change your life ... who knows?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:21
    No, it requires other studies as well.
    But they are studies that help one understand what is written.
    From my studies, there is one heaven and earth.
    There is no such thing as several levels of heaven.
    I believe Paul was referring to the third heaven as a future heaven that he received in a vision. It does not yet exist.
    The three heavens are simply in time, not actual places.
    The first is past, the second is now, the third is yet future.
    Sounds like a Sunday school opinion to me as it does not take into consideration all of the Jewish writings on the issue.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:48
    Sounds like a Sunday school opinion to me as it does not take into consideration all of the Jewish writings on the issue.
    Actually it is a commentary referring to critical Bible lexicons, concordances, interlinear, and Jewish culture. I just gave you a paraphrase.
    I would rather stick to the bible than Jewish literature. But, to each their own.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 18:06
    Here is something that might be even more reassuring.

Jesus was very clear that it is not what a man says, but what a man DOES that counts. Here is a parable from Christ on this issue:

[i] A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and ...[text shortened]... day as he did with Paul, and send you off on a mission that will change your life ... who knows?
    I would welcome such a mission.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 18:18
    Do you find it reassuring that you may have such a mission in your future?
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 18:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you find it reassuring that you may have such a mission in your future?
    No, as I have no faith that such a mission will come to pass.

I would though welcome such a mission, just as I would welcome an alien encounter or a premonition of next week's lottery numbers.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 18:35
    Actually it is a commentary referring to critical Bible lexicons, concordances, interlinear, and Jewish culture. I just gave you a paraphrase.
    I would rather stick to the bible than Jewish literature. But, to each their own.
    What you are doing is ignoring the Bible [rather than sticking to the Bible], and choosing to side with the opinion of your preferred church, even though it conflicts with the Bible

The Bible refers to several levels of heaven but just does not call it 1, 2, 3, etc. :
    - There is the one from which holds the clouds and rain, birds etc
    - There is a higher one where the stars and planets sit
    - There is one where God has his throne and this is called in the Bible the 'highest heaven'

So there are several levels. Jewish literature identifies 7 levels. The Book of Enoch tells of the travels of Enoch trough these 7 heavens.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 19:56
    Sadly, it's also more twaddle from the fringe element.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 20:05
    I don't think so.

You'd just "blow it off" as a wacky dream or a "feeling" with no rational explanation, or maybe even just a drug "flashback". I don't really know you so I can't assume which of these it would be. Because after all, it couldn't be a message from God, because there is no God, right? Yay, logic wins, but you lose.

And so you'd totally and completely miss out. And you'd never know the difference, and so you'd just carry on as always, not knowing you just missed your chance at finally understanding faith. But you'd still be safely ensconced in your belief that this is all there is.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 20:10
    Paradise is not necessarily heaven according to the Bible but for Christians I think they equate the two.
    Welcome everybody, to the "Christians are Morons" show, emceed by Christian Rajk.

You don't waste a moment when you could be bad-mouthing Christians, do you? Even though you profess to be one. More of the same. More "DAIS, NAID".
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 20:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Welcome everybody, to the "Christians are Morons" show, emceed by Christian Rajk.

You don't waste a moment when you could be bad-mouthing Christians, do you? Even though you profess to be one. More of the same. More "DAIS, NAID".
    Land in a thread, add nothing, take a swipe at someone you don't like, leave...
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 20:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Land in a thread, add nothing, take a swipe at someone you don't like, leave...
    ..and your point is what?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree