1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:042 edits
    It has been a little over a month since the inception of the Spirituality ex Debates forum.

I'd like for this thread to serve as a sort of roll call. Please sign in and state:

1. Whether you have found the severance of the subject of religion from Debates to be beneficial to you or to the site.
    2. Whether you have been persuaded to change your mind on points of faith or religion.
    3. Whether your existing spiritual views have been made more firm.
    4. Whether you believe you have carried out God's work to the best of your ability.
    5. Whether you feel more or less spiritual than a month ago.

I'll start.

1. No, I have observed no marginal benefit from the severance.
    2. No, I have not changed my mind on any points of faith.
    3. My view that the lack of harmony in the world is due primarily to faulty thinking has been reinforced through observation of the spiritual debates.
    4. Within my limits of time and patience, I feel that I have done the best I can to share my God-given gift of critical reasoning.
    5. I didn't really feel spiritual at the time of the severance, and that hasn't changed over the month.

Dr. S
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:12
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It has been a little over a month since the inception of the Spirituality ex Debates forum.

I'd like for this thread to serve as a sort of roll call. Please sign in and state:

1. Whether you have found the severance of the subject of religion from debates to be beneficial to you or to the site.
    2. Whether you have been persuaded to change ...[text shortened]... y feel spiritual at the time of the severance, and that hasn't changed over the month.

Dr. S
    I haven't been a very observant or useful forumite for a good six months now (hell, I've even been kicked out of tha WP, methinks), and my participation has been limited. I have read it fairly extensively though.

1. Whether you have found the severance of the subject of religion from debates to be beneficial to you or to the site.
    2. Whether you have been persuaded to change your mind on points of faith or religion.
    4. Whether you believe you have carried out God's work to the best of your ability.

1. No, I have not found it beneficial, and it isn't sensible, because almost everything in 'Spirituality' fits all of the explicit criteria for being in 'Debates'. If we had a forum dedicated to proselytizing, without debate, my opinion would be different.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. No. I am skeptical about a God for whom to do work, and I'm lazy about posting.
    5. Yes, although not in an overtly religious way and not in any way attributable or relevant to the forums.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:15

I have found it both beneficial to me and the site. It has taken what is obviously
    a very popular topic and given it a place to blossom. As such, I've been able to
    focus more easily on the topics of interest to me in both this forum and the debates
    forum.

Huntingbear, Lucifershammer and Bennett have raised many interesting points in the past
    several days. While I have not made a diametrical change, I have 'evolved.'

I would say that my previously existing spiritual views have been made less firm. I
    prefer this. I believe that a static faith is a dead faith.

Whether it is God's work or not, I have carried it out to the best of my ability.

That's tough to say; I'd say that I've thought more about spiritual things in the past
    month, so perhaps the answer is 'more.'

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:20
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    I have not found it beneficial, and it isn't sensible, because almost everything in 'Spirituality' fits all of the explicit criteria for being in 'Debates'. If we had a forum dedicated to proselytizing, without debate, my opinion would be different.
    While I agree with RC -- that everything in this forum meets the explicit criteria for being
    in debates -- my feelings that it has been beneficial has been purely from the selfish
    standpoint of convenience. Because spirituality topics were very popular and promise to
    remain very popular, it simply makes it easier to have a separate forum.

If it were to go back, it would only be slightly more annoying to find stuff. I don't have
    a vested interest.

From a site-wide standpoint, I'd say it has been a minor improvement, as the 'proselytizing'
    aspect has disappeared from other debates where they didn't belong. Again, this is a selfish
    point of view and if it were to go back, it return a somewhat annoying practice in that has
    been eliminated would return. It just means using the scroll wheel on the mouse a little more.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:24

1. Whether you have found the severance of the subject of religion from Debates to be beneficial to you or to the site.

yes, and yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I agree with very little of the flood style paste posters... and prefer the 'from the heart' posts made by many users here.

1. No, I have observed no marginal benefit from the severance.

You would prefer 90 percent of the posts be about religion in debates, and 35 percent of them from one user?

2. No, I have not changed my mind on any points of faith.

You must have it all figured out, good work.

3. My view that the lack of harmony in the world is due primarily to faulty thinking has been reinforced through observation of the spiritual debates.

Cool beans.

4. Within my limits of time and patience, I feel that I have done the best I can to share my God-given gift of critical reasoning.

Tis a blessing.

5. I didn't really feel spiritual at the time of the severance, and that hasn't changed over the month.

So why clump it all together so we can have one less forum and all we talk about is what we talk about in this forum?

Dr. S
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:27

2. Whether you have been persuaded to change ...[text shortened]... y feel spiritual at the time of the severance, and that hasn't changed over the month.

Dr. S
    1. I have found the severance to be extremely benificial. StarValleyWy never comes into this forum, so we aren't inundated by his rubbish on the two or three times a week he happens to check in. I move that the Debates forum should now be re-named the StarValleyWy forum. When you try to enter the forum, a pop-up window should come up warning that you are in danger of be called a worn out commie, or top chimp, or some such nonsense.

2. Of course not.

3. My spiritual views have remained unchanged.

4. Not applicable.

5. No change
  7. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:32

Dr. S
    1. No. I rarely find academic segregation to be helpful to anyone. Call me Lutheran if you will.......

2. No

3. No

4. I don't do Gods work. He does his own work, I do my own work, and we just try to work together and be on the same page ( I must confess my complete frustration as that he always insist upon being right, but I usuall just let go along with him. He's got more experience than me anyway. )

5.Same.

8. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:351 edit
    [b]It has been a little over a month since the inception of the Spirituality ex Debates forum.

1. Yes, it is beneficial. I no longer wander into a thread that annoys me, I must go into a thread prepared to be annoyed.
    2. I have not changed my mind; however, certain thoughtful posters have given me either a new way of thinking about something, insight into another stance and an occasional interesting question to ponder.
    3. No. In many ways less firm because of the strident, spiteful, judgemental squalling of certain posters which hae made me wish to disassociate myself .
    4. In life and in the forums....I often fall short. God has work in the forums? for me? RATS!!!
    5. More....because I am willing to come to this forum at this time. My inital response was, "Thank God! I don't even have to pass by those multiple expletive deleted threads. "
  9. NY
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:37
    1. sure... its entertaining...
    2. nope... still as faithfull to my religion.. if not more so.. due to retarded people and opinions.. not metionn' anyyyy names...
    3. absofriknlutely
    4. ehlll by go if you mean the all.. hmm.. i dont know that it is my job to Carry out its work... every thing is the work of the all.. so.. dont know.. goq question.. will have to ponder...
    5. more
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 04:512 edits

1. Whether you have found the severance of the ...[text shortened]... f the severance, and that hasn't changed over the month.

Dr. S
    1) Yes for me. By parsing religious debates from other debates, I have been able to more effectively devote myself to my single mission: deny the ubiquitous evidence of God and live in lustful rebellion.

For the site, probably. Imagine if Darfius and SVW were up late monopolizing a single forum at the same time! That would be a lot of lustful chimps.

2) Not too much, but I have learned a few things. Like who knew about the Nephilim? And I didn't know some Israelis were building a big temple. Oh, and watch out for microchips in your forehead. OUCH!

3) Yes, I have realized that I don't want to be paradise. Instead, I prefer Hell, because I must be right and God must be wrong. Thank you, Spirituality Forum.

4) I hate God. His message upsets me because it means I don't get what I want. I know deep down inside that He is real, but I'm just too headstrong and lustful to submit.

5) I feel like I have really tapped into the source of my disbelief: Jesus. He just tells me to do things I don't want to do, and I am lustful.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I have it from a very reliable source that there really aren't any flames in Hell. Who knew?
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 07:51

Dr. S
    1. I'd say it's beneficial. This topic is so lively that it was good to give it it's own space and let the other threads in Debates be more visible in their own right.

2. I've become a little more critical of macroevolutionary theory. Other than that, no, I don't think so.

3. "Spiritual"? I don't know what that means exactly.

4. N/A

5. See 3.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree