1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 May '18 12:37
    Has anyone thought this through? Bow to me or I kill you all, that works!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '18 12:42
    Originally posted by @apathist
    That’s not why any Christian I know worships. Worship is out of gratitude and a recognition of who God is and what He has done.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '18 12:49
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I think worship ~ as earnest or even well-intentioned as it may be ~ is a kind of wallowing in one's own ideology and a manifestation of deep-seated insecurities and feelings of cognitive dissonance about life and the world.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:02
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I think worship ~ as earnest or even well-intentioned as it may be ~ is a kind of wallowing in one's own ideology and a manifestation of deep-seated insecurities and feelings of cognitive dissonance about life and the world.
    How did you worship God when you were a Christian for 30-40 years? Did you feel at all connected to God during those decades?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:231 edit
    What is worship [of God]?

Enjoyment of God.
    Anytime,
    anywhere,
    any posture,
    while doing anything else simultaneously which is not sinful of dishonoring to God

worship - the enjoyment of the living God.

Some people here, for "worship," need a big strawman to ridicule as an object of their scorn.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:27
    Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose--all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable.
    -William Temple
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:28
    Originally posted by @sonship
    What is worship?

Enjoyment of God.
    Anytime,
    anywhere,
    any posture,
    while doing anything else simultaneously which is not sinful of dishonoring to God

worship - the enjoyment of the living God.

Some people here, for "worship," need a big strawman to ridicule one as an object of their scorn.
    I have no issue with a theist worshipping a God they sincerely believe exists.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:30
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Some people here, for "worship," need a big strawman to ridicule one as an object of their scorn.
    What do you want people who believe something very different from you [about what worship is] to say - in answer to the question 'What is worship?'
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:31
    What do you want people who believe something very different from you [about what worship is] to say - in answer to the question 'What is worship?'
    Maybe you should ask yourself the same question.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:34
    You’re asking the writer of the OP what you should say?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:35
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Well I’m sure every theist on earth is breathing a sigh of relief.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '18 13:552 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree