1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 01:54
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Irish comedians who have made it in Britain are always
    saying that British women will sleep with anything.
    and the extension 'for money or potatoes' should be added for irish women.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 12:04
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    and the extension 'for money or potatoes' should be added for irish women.
    whut?
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have honestly not heard so much nonsense , not from you, but from those professing to be knowledgeable about what constitutes a good translation. The fact of the matter is, there are various types of translation, lexical translation, which is not really a translation at all, but seeks to make a word for word comparison, these are termed interlinea ...[text shortened]... r was as new manuscripts come to light and can be cross examined and spurious texts identified.
    Thank you for your informative response, who would have thought an atheist and person of biblically based faith could have such a non confrontational exchange?!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Thank you for your informative response, who would have thought an atheist and person of biblically based faith could have such a non confrontational exchange?!
    Rather interestingly we tend to have much better discussions with atheists than with nominal Christians, because one can reason with an atheist, whereas its quite hard to argue against something which lacks rationality in the first instance as do many of the teachings of nominal Christianity. Common ground can usually be found but I am glad that we are civil, its really refreshing 🙂

If you get the chance read Jason BeDhuns book, Truth in translation: accuracy and bias in English translations of the New testament, a truly wonderful publication.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whut?
    rule one at comedy school - never explain a joke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree