1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:01
    ..... with an idea or a notion or a reality that doesn't exist according to them ?

Why are so many non-believers obsessed with God ?

How about it, non-believers ?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    ..... with an idea or a notion or a reality that doesn't exist according to them ?

i am not obsessed with god or your notion of what god may be. i am interested in discovering truth wherever it may lie.

i am not exactly sure what stance you are putting forth. my guess is that you find it ironic that there are non-believers who think a lot about god. this is not ironic; this is commendable. they are non-believers presumably because they see no proof for accepting that god exists (at least not yet), but they are nevertheless open-minded and willing to seek the truth. how is that bad?

speaking for myself, i see no reason to accept the position that your god exists, and therefore i am a non-believer. but i also do not see good reason to claim that your god definitely does not exist either. therefore, i think alot about your god because that is what you do when a problem is unresolved -- you think about it in order to try to resolve it. do you disagree?

i would much rather be a non-believer who is open-minded and ever thinking and searching for the truth, than a believer who is so set in his ways and sure of his unproven knowledge that he has given up the search for truth (thinking he has found it already). you may have found it already, but i think skepticism is healthy.

3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:23
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Because at least in the US. God-belief has significant political power. The belief affects my society in so many ways that it is very hard not to give it consideration. IMO these affects are usually harmful. So as a member of a democracy, I take it upon myself to speak out.

In speaking out, I usually encounter all manner of arguments for God.
    While I have not encounted a single argument for God that is not fallacious, I still consider them. In part I do this because the argument may turn out to be true, in which case, I should reconsider my current view. More often, I do this because poor arguments are not always easy to refute. Generally theistic arguments are so mired with ambiguity, equivocation, and clever question begging that it can take some thought to spot the falsehood. Acting upon the principle that "practice makes perfect," I enjoy rebutting the claims made by theists.

There is one other reason as well. Having devoted what continues to be the majority of my life to spreading a false doctrine (mainstream fundamentalist American Protestant Xtianity), the refutation of this familiar lie is of special interest to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree