"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
08 Jan 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b][b][b][b]"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Part Four)

"Christianity says that God (in the form of Jesus Christ) stepped into our place and paid the awful price that had to be paid for us. He gave us the free gift of salvation if we choose to believe in Jesus.

“Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died ...[text shortened]... ot-a-religion/

-Te Deum Laudamus -Jake McWhirter" http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/about/[/b]
All of these four long copy pastes (so far) illustrate exactly how and why Christianity is a religion. It's odd that you should think that they somehow demonstrate "Why Christianity is NOT a Religion". Have you actually read the material you are pasting?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 15

Originally posted by black beetle
Without the hat called "Religion", where from did that rabbit of yours came, my Dear Lady? Where exactly can a Christian stand, if not on the Holy Book, in order to cultivate her faith strictly by means of following the Good Book and meditating on its verses?
😵
I'm not exactly sure why you're aiming this particular shot at me, especially considering what I did write about it. I was agreeing that Christianity is a religion.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
08 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'm not exactly sure why you're aiming this particular shot at me, especially considering what I did write about it. I was agreeing that Christianity is a religion.
It isn't a shot at you, it is a confirmation that we do agree as regards this matter;
Peace!
😵

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Jan 15
1 edit

It isn't a shot at you, it is a confirmation that we do agree as regards this matter;
Peace!
😵
Beauty and the "Scheveningen Black Beastie". 😉

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Jan 15

Beauty and the "Scheveningen Black Beastie". 😉
😵

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jan 15

😵
.... always nice to see you smile, bb.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 15
1 edit

"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Part Four)

"Christianity says that God (in the form of Jesus Christ) stepped into our place and paid the awful price that had to be paid for us. He gave us the free gift of salvation if we choose to believe in Jesus.

“Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners ...[text shortened]... is-not-a-religion/

-Te Deum Laudamus -Jake McWhirter" http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/about/
"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Part Five)

“If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.” ~1 John 1:8-10

So, you might ask why, then, was the law was given. It was given to show us that we need God. As Paul says in Rom 7:7: “In fact, it was the law that showed me my sin. I would never have known that coveting is wrong if the law had not said, you must not covet.” ~ Rom 7:7

Without the law as a standard we would not even realize that we needed a redeemer and savior from our sin. The law was just and correct. There was nothing wrong with the law. This is the way we are called to act. However, as humans we do not have the ability to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, souls, and minds and love our neighbor as much as ourselves all the time, everyday. Because sin was introduced into the world by man, we are inclined to sin and no one can live this way.

So, we are in need of redemption from this predicament. Christ provided this. He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.” ~ Matt 5:17-18

Through Christ we are made perfect in God’s eyes. We are forgiven from all sin; past and future. When we receive Him, He gives us his Holy Spirit that has the power to change us and make us more like Him. This is a process, but as this happens we begin to realize that we are living in the love originally required by the law. The original intention, the heart of the law, is established in our lives. Our relationships with God and others are founded in love. It is the Holy Spirit that accomplishes this within us, not our own human effort. The Bible describes this process as Holy Spirit producing fruit:

“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful natureto his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.” ~ Gal 5:16-18, 22-25

This is the difference between religion and true Christianity. There is no checklist or list of rules that you must follow. It is ALL about your relationships, vertical and horizontal. There is no rhetoric or rituals that have to be practiced. Believe that Jesus Christ came to earth and died for your sins, accept his FREE GIFT, let God help you to love Him and love others. That’s it! It is so simple it sounds stupid, and it would be if there was no real power here. I’m here to testify that when you do this, the relationship with God is REAL and the power to change your life is there!

Religion is empty. But, in Christ there is power. “The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.”
~ 1 Corr 1:18

So when you look around at the church and what has happened in history you see a lot of bad things, and some good as well. The key thing that you must understand is that historically “the church” is predominately a religious organization with man-made rules and controls. This is evil and God is not in it. Good has been done by the few that truly understand what it means to be a Christian. These look like Christ. The Bible says, “You will know them by their fruits.” It also says:

“But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.” ~ 1 John 2:5-6

Here is a verse that shows why most people who claim to be Christians really aren’t: “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.” ~ Matt 7:13-14

So don’t look at what has been done by religious people and discredit God for it. If you want to know / hear more about why the “good people go to heaven” argument doesn’t fly, you should check out this book. It is a quick read (it took me about 2 hours) and is worth the time investment." <http://www.howgoodisgoodenough.com>

http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/why-believe-in-jesus/why-christianity-is-not-a-religion/

F

Moves
19 Jan 15

[b]"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Part Five)

“If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word ...[text shortened]... ot-a-religion/

-Te Deum Laudamus -Jake McWhirter" http://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/about/[/b]
Have you actually read all this material you are copy pasting? All five pieces demonstrate exactly how and why Christianity is a religion. And yet you appear to think they somehow demonstrate "Why Christianity is NOT a Religion".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Jan 15
1 edit

"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Part Five)

“If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has ...[text shortened]... is-not-a-religion/

"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Postscript)

"153 Responses to “Why Christianity is NOT a Religion”

"Marion Says: July 1, 2008 at 8:41 pm
Read some of your why Christianity is not a religion. God wants us to have a relationship with him ????? It takes at least two to have a relationship. Both parts need to put in. After four years of trying to have that relationship with God, I have given up. It seemed like nothing I did was good enough for him. I never felt his presence, love, help or intervention in my life.I am now totally broken. No faith or trust left in this God who loves me and wants a relationship with me !!. I have cried and prayed but nothing. I have more issues than I can handle…. all from the Bible.God was the one person I believed could help me no matter what was happening in my life. I thought he was the potter and I the clay that he would mould and shape but now I just believe that we have to make ourselves change through determination etc. I will try harder next time !!! There is nothing left in me to bring to God.My daughter is also in the same place. She seems depressed all the time and has seen the counselor at church but nothing works or helps. How can this be a loving God who wants a relationship wit us when he ignores our needs and hurts. God is demanding and thats that.The Bible says we must be perfect like the Son and Father."

"July 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm
The following response was emailed directly to the person who sent the comment. Reprinted here your everyone’s benefit.

Hi Marion! Thank you so much for having the courage to write me and be so honest about your feelings. It is apparent that you are going through a tough time and have been for a while now. I really do feel for you and your daughter. I just want to tell you that you are not alone! Most all of us go through times in our life where we wonder where God is and question our faith. I have been through it myself.

I apologize that this letter is so long. But I do hope you read it since I spent my 4th of July (holiday in America) writing it J. Seriously though, there is truth in here that can help you.

I want to talk to you about the pain and sense of abandonment that you are feeling (because it is very common and it is valid), but first I feel that I need to address the root issue here. The root problem you are encountering is that someone has painted a very poor picture for you of who Jesus Christ is.

What picture of God has been painted for you? Jesus said, “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father” (John 14:9). Also, Colossians 1:15 states that Jesus Christ is the “image of the invisible God.” John 1:1 says, “In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”’ Then verse 14 says “and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.”

When a person wants to know what God is like, she need look no further than Jesus Christ. He came to clear up the confusion about God’s nature AND to be the initiator of the relationship with all who are willing to believe (Matthew 22:3).

He came to be our example and our substitute. God is not interested in your perfection! You will never be perfect, and neither will I. No one (except Jesus) ever has or will be!
God, in gracious love, knew that we could not be perfect (or even close). Thus, we need atonement for our sins. We need someone to “step in” and do what we could never be “good enough” to accomplish.

The “relationship” with God happens because of Christ’s ministry of reconciliation. We are the offenders, but God receives us through the sacrifice AND ongoing work of Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1, Romans 8:34). He loves us too much to let us go.

In your comment you say, “It seemed like nothing I did was good enough for him” and “God is demanding and that’s that. The Bible says we must be perfect like the Son and Father.” I am very sorry that someone has characterized God for you in this way. Jesus himself said:

“Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30)

How could Jesus say this if he demands perfection? Is perfection easy to bear? Does trying to be perfect give you rest? He says his burden is light. I can tell you that this has been so true in my life. When we accept Jesus Christ to be our Lord and Savior our position in Christ is settled. We don’t have to earn it. We become saints, not sinners. Yes, we may still choose to sin and this sin will impact our relationship with God (disrupt the harmony of our relationship) but it will not change the fact that we are his children forever. Here are some excerpts...." (to be continued)

F

Moves
22 Jan 15

[b]"Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" (Postscript)

"153 Responses to “Why Christianity is NOT a Religion”

"Marion Says: July 1, 2008 at 8:41 pm
Read some of your why Christianity is not a religion. God wants us to have a relationship with him ????? It takes at least two to have a relationship. Both parts need to put in. After fou ...[text shortened]... be continued)

Which part of this long copy paste do you think demonstrates that Christianity is not a religion? Have you actually read its content?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
22 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
Which part of this long copy paste do you think demonstrates that Christianity is not a religion? Have you actually read its content?
While I agree that GB's long copy and pastes are er long copy and pastes, at least they are here. He's not asking me to leave the site and go to another website leaving me doomed to weeks of Christian dating adverts until the cookies expire.

F

Moves
22 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
While I agree that GB's long copy and pastes are er long copy and pastes, at least they are here. He's not asking me to leave the site and go to another website leaving me doomed to weeks of Christian dating adverts until the cookies expire.
The writers of the copy pasted material are not members of this community here and are therefore unavailable to discuss it or respond to scrutiny of their claims. Unless Grampy Bobby is willing to defend or discuss what he posts, it's basically just spam. He has started a thread called "Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" and pasted reams of stuff demonstrating that the thread title is wrong.

Maybe the fact that the copy pasted material is little more than a rather clumsy disingenuous rhetorical device repeated over and over again is the reason Grampy Bobby is exhibiting no genuine interest in discussing it. 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
The writers of the copy pasted material are not members of this community here and are therefore unavailable to discuss it or respond to scrutiny of their claims. Unless Grampy Bobby is willing to defend or discuss what he posts, it's basically just spam. He has started a thread called "Why Christianity is NOT a Religion" and pasted reams of stuff demonstrating ...[text shortened]... and over again is the reason Grampy Bobby is exhibiting no genuine interest in discussing it. 🙂
Do you think that attack posts such as this actually enhance your reputation among readers of this forum?

F

Moves
24 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Do you think that attack posts such as this actually enhance your reputation among readers of this forum?
I don't think about it at all. I just read what people write and write what I want to write.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think about it at all. I just read what people write and write what I want to write.
Ditto 😉