1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 20:49
    It seems that most of the religious people on this forum are Christian. That being the case, why do you choose to be in the particular branch of Christianity that you're in? If you're Protestant, why not Catholic? If Catholic, why not Protestant? Or if you're a Mormon, Jehova's Witness or whatever offshoot of Christianity, why do you follow that particular form of the Christian religion?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 21:512 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    It seems that most of the religious people on this forum are Christian. That being the case, why do you choose to be in the particular branch of Christianity that you're in? If you're Protestant, why not Catholic? If Catholic, why not Protestant? Or if you're a Mormon, Jehova's Witness or whatever offshoot of Christianity, why do you follow that particular form of the Christian religion?
    I say they don't "choose" to believe that their particular variant Christianity best approximates the nature of some creator entity anymore than atheists such as I "choose" to regard it all as bullchit. We don't "choose" to believe anything (we merely choose the extent to which we will investigate (or fail to investigate) some series of propositions until belief one way or the other happens)

Further, a trivial answer is that they are aligned with brand of Christianity X just because! (it wouldn't make sense to ask them why they are aligned with Christianity brand Y =/= X); less trivial, is they have been conditioned into it.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 23:53
    My parents and grand parents were members of the Protestant Christian Churches. That is, Church of Christ, Baptist, Methodist, etc. At the time I decided to believe in God and Christ, I was attending a Southern Baptist Church and I was 12 years old when I was Baptize as a member of that Church. So at that time, I was only choosing belief in God and Christ and not choosing a denomination. It was not until later, after I became grown and joined the US Army, that I discovered that there were different denominations.

Then is when I began visiting and studying Christianity with other denominations and reading about the history of Christianity. I had thought Catholic referred to the Roman Catholic Church based in Rome, Italy with the Pope as it's leader. However, I found out there were other Churches, such as the Creek Orthodox Church that were also considered Catholic and that Catholic actually means Universal and refers to the one Universal Church of early Christianity, before there was a split, due to disagreement about the importance of various rituals, practices, and beliefs within the Church.

Roman Catholicism is the largest denomination of the Christian religion. Roman Catholics, claiming the Pope as their spiritual leader, call him the Vicar of Christ. Other Christians recognize no man by that title. Greek Orthodox Catholics do not attribute any spiritual authority to the Pope in Rome. The Roman Catholic church has an exalted view of Mary that attributes titles to her such as "Mother of God" and "Queen of Heaven" and places her in a role of mediator between the believers and God. Eastern Orthodox Catholics hold her in high esteem as well without going to these extra-biblical extremes.

The following link gives a list of all the denominational groups that claim to be Christians. But not all are universally recognized as having truly Christian beliefs or being real Christians by each other. It is not likely that anyone would check out all these denominations in choosing a particular denomination to join.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

My wife is a member of the United Methodist Church at present, but she was raised in another Protestant Church. So we are both more confortable with the major beliefs and religious practices of these Protestant Churches, even though we may have minor differences in what we believe.
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 00:591 edit
    My mother became a Witness when I was about 6. I remember asking her one night going to a meeting when I was about 7 why she wanted to become a JW. Not that I knew anything about the Bible or religion, but by comments she was making I was wondering why she kept calling the religion the "truth"?
    She explained simply that she had been a baptist all her life and there were many things they taught that she was never able to understand and that as far as she could tell, were not in the Bible. Most importantly she finally learned what God's name was which is Jehovah. Her religion never taught that even though the Bible she had most of her life had it as plan as day in Ps 83:18.
    My father who was not really interested in religion because he could see lots of things wrong with the few he was familiar with and just couldn't see a god that sounded so cruel as some religions teach such as a burning hell that ones could spend eternity in.
    But as time passed with what mom shared with him as she learned, he became interested and finally was baptised a couple years later.
    So I was raised a JW and have done extensive research and study over the years and have met thousands of people at their doors and have learned much even from them of thier respective religions.
    The older I get I am more and more convienced I have made the right choice in my faith and will never leave it. This is life for me and I completely believe that the future will be beautiful one day for all humans on this earth just as Jehovah and his son Jesus describes in the Bible.
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 04:03
    I grew up in a non-believing family. I didn't convert to Christianity until I had just turned 37.

I didn't choose Protestantism (more specifically Reformed Faith) any more than it chose me. When I converted, I stayed nondenominational for a long time and wouldn't commit one way or the other. Then the teachings of R.C. Sproul won me over. The more I studied Reformed Theology, the more I realized that it made the most sense to me and the more I realized it described conversion exactly the way I experienced it. So from life experience, and logical deduction, I have become a Reformed Protestant.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 04:21
    It seems that most of the religious people on this forum are Christian. That being the case, why do you choose to be in the particular branch of Christianity that you're in? If you're Protestant, why not Catholic? If Catholic, why not Protestant?
    I was raised a Catholic in a Catholic family, sent to a Catholic school, married into a Catholic family, in the same Catholic church where both my children were baptized Catholics and many of my relatives were married to other Catholics and had their children baptized Catholics. Protestantism was never really on the radar.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 05:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was raised a Catholic in a Catholic family, sent to a Catholic school, married into a Catholic family, in the same Catholic church where both my children were baptized Catholics and many of my relatives were married to other Catholics and had their children baptized Catholics. Protestantism was never really on the radar.
    But then he visited RHP and the rest is history. 😛
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 05:05
    I was raised Hindu but to rebel against my parents I took up Judism. It was then that I met a girl who was Jewish. Then when we broke up I had to get even with her so I took up Christianity. 😵

Seriously though, I was reared on the teachings of Jim Jones. They just ran out of coolaide and I grabbed a soda instead. 😛
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 05:152 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    But then he visited RHP and the rest is history. 😛
    Not so. I gave up being a Christian longer ago than that. But there are many things said and discussed here that I find interesting in so far as they kind of "support" my decision. I can't remember any Christian here saying anything that gives me reason to change my decision, although I try to maintain what I think is a healthy dose of doubt and skepticism even about my own stances on things. All in all, with what is in the past for me, and what it is that I'm not anymore, and with me being who I now am, and with many here being what I used to be, it's quite an interesting forum.