1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '14 05:22
    Originally posted by sonship
    He did Christianity a HUGE favor. Whether he helped God or not is open for debate.

Marching people at the point of a spear to be baptized was doing Christianity a huge favor ?

Promising to give whoever would become a Christian a material reward like a nice garment was doing Christianity a huge favor ?

Forcing unregenerated ...[text shortened]... est it was an extremely mixed "fortune" or "favor" done to the household of the Christian faith.
    Let's see. Jesus, the founder of the Christian gospel (remember Him?) said to Pontius Pilate the Roman Governor "My kingdom is not of this world". Constantine, in contradiction, proclaimed that his worldly kingdom would be endowed to crush his political enemies. That is a kind of "God is on our side" attitude for the Roman empire.

So this "huge favor" to Christianity was contradicting Jesus Christ about the nature of Christ's kingdom of God ?

No, it was forming an alliance between two kingdoms -- the Roman Empire and Christendom. The deal was, "support the Roman Empire and you get elevated to the Empire-enforced state religion."

"Early Christendom would close at the end of imperial persecution of Christians after the ascension of Constantine the Great and the Edict of Milan in AD 313 and the First Council of Nicaea in 325." wikipedia

How clear you have made this. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree