1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 13:31
    Originally posted by sonship
    wolfgang,

Given that the whole thing is a fictional fabrication and that JC probably never existed let alone was known by the authors of the NT decades [or more] later, it seems to be quite clear enough.

New Testament scholar Bart Erhman has become the darling of the atheists in criticizing the New Testament. He wrote [b]"Misquoting ...[text shortened]... al NT scholar Bart Erhman. Stop making a fool out of yourself teaching that Jesus never existed.
    First, that was my post.

Second, I am not referencing Bart Erhman, I am referencing the work of Richard Carrier.

[Here are two links dealing with Bart Erhman by Carrier.]

https://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/667

https://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/1794

Who's arguments are logically sound and based in fact, unlike Erhman's.

So, no, I will take advice from neither you, nor Bart.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 13:34
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    According to the various Wikipedia articles I read on the Johannine texts last night, John the Apostle died of natural causes as an advanced age. The range of dates for the writing of John's gospel starts at 75 AD. I don't see any overarching reason that the text shouldn't have been written by him.
    JC was most likely fictional.

Thus nobody ever met him.

Thus the bible was not written by people who met JC and is entirely fictional.

The fact that the people who wrote it were real [but probably not who they claimed to be] doesn't change that.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:17
    Originally posted by googlefudge

The fact that the people who wrote it were real [but probably not who they claimed to be] doesn't change that.
    Just as you most likely have an ulterior motive for working up a sweat trying to convince anyone who will listen that 1) God is not real, 2) Jesus Christ is not real, 3) Satan is not real, 4) Man is the Lord of his domain, and 5) Therefore, Man does not need a Savior.

I'd go so far as to say... that makes you dangerous.

"All our times have come
    Here but now they're gone
    Seasons don't fear the reaper
    Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain... we can be like they are
    Come on baby... don't fear the reaper
    Baby take my hand... don't fear the reaper
    We'll be able to fly... don't fear the reaper
    Baby I'm your man..."

"La la la la la"

Yeah, you heard me... dangerous.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:581 edit

You've started with a probability claim and ended with a certainty, you need "most likely" in front of each of your statements if you want the conclusion to follow from the premise. Clearly my statement is conditional on a historical Jesus existing. This exchange started because twhitehouse wrote the following sentence:
    Every sane person who has even a sprinkling of knowledge about the New Testament knows that the author of the gospel of John never met Jesus.
    I pointed out that this is part of Christian tradition, the evidence for time of writing is consistent with such a theory and it is not that unreasonable for someone who accepts the historicity of Jesus to believe it. I was not commenting on the historicity of Jesus, all I was trying to communicate is that believing that John the Evangelist met Jesus is not a sign of madness.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 17:373 edits
    First, that was my post.

Second, I am not referencing Bart Erhman, I am referencing the work of Richard Carrier.

[Here are two links dealing with Bart Erhman by Carrier.]

https://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/667

https://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/1794

Who's arguments are logically sound and based in fact, unlike Erhman's.

So, no, I will take advice from neither you, nor Bart.
    Dr. Richard Carrier ?
    Big bad Dr. Richard Carrier, the new great young rising hope of the new atheists?

Ok. And to those interested, cross examinations from a few experts who can stand up to Richard Carrier is in order:

Did Jesus Rise From the Dead ? Richard Carrier vs William Lane Craig

YouTube

Does God Exist? Richard Carrier verses Lenny Esposito

YouTube

Did Jesus Rise From the Dead Richard Carrier verses Mike Licona

YouTube

Did Jesus Exist ? Richard Carrier verses Mark Goodacre

YouTube
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 18:55
    wolfgang,

Stop making a fool out of yourself teaching that Jesus never existed.
    I've never taught that.
    Always taught children that "Some people believe a man called Jesus ... " etc.
    On balance I reckon JC is an amalgam of characters.
    And if he did exist he was inconsequential at the time as evidenced by the lack of historical evidence.

And for the record much more foolish to teach Jesus did exist.
    Especially for a teacher.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 20:01
    I pointed out that this is part of Christian tradition, the evidence for time of writing is consistent with such a theory and it is not that unreasonable for someone who accepts the historicity of Jesus to believe it. I was not commenting on the historicity of Jesus, all I was trying to communicate is that believing that John the Evangelist met Jesus is not a sign of madness.
    And for the record, apart from spelling my name wrong, I concede that you are correct.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 20:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 21:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And for the record, apart from spelling my name wrong, I concede that you are correct.
    Not sure where I got whitehouse from, sorry about that.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 21:422 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I've never taught that.
    Always taught children that "Some people believe a man called Jesus ... " etc.
    On balance I reckon JC is an amalgam of characters.
    And if he did exist he was inconsequential at the time as evidenced by the lack of historical evidence.

And for the record much more foolish to teach Jesus did exist.
    Especially for a teacher.
    Well, one thing is for sure. The best way to not have to consider someone's life and claims is to just believe that they never existed and made any.

You don't even have to be timid to spell out the name, Jesus Christ, instead of using less intimidating initials, like "JC."
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 21:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The Apostle Ringo?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 22:251 edit

13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 22:54
    You've started with a probability claim and ended with a certainty, you need "most likely" in front of each of your statements if you want the conclusion to follow from the premise. Clearly my statement is conditional on a historical Jesus existing. This exchange started because twhitehouse wrote the following sentence:[quote]Every sane person who has ...[text shortened]... ng to communicate is that believing that John the Evangelist met Jesus is not a sign of madness.
    Only if you take the absurd position that every informal argument must by written to
    be absolutely logically sound.

I presume you not to be that stupid.

I made clear that I hold JC's historicity to probabilistically be false [to a strong enough
    degree of certainty to justify belief in the lack of existence as opposed to mere lack of
    belief] and then went through the consequences of that position.

Requiring a disclaimer in every sentence is absurd and unnecessary.
    You understood my meaning, as did any other sane and literate person reading it.

Clearly my statement is conditional on a historical Jesus existing.

Obviously. Which is why I responded by pointing out that that assumption is unjustified.

I was not commenting on the historicity of Jesus, all I was trying to communicate is that believing that John the Evangelist met Jesus is not a sign of madness.

That I can agree with.

But then believing in god and JC is not a sign of madness, it's not a very high or impressive bar to pass.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 22:57
    Well, one thing is for sure. The best way to not have to consider someone's life and claims is to just believe that they never existed and made any.

You don't even have to be timid to spell out the name, Jesus Christ, instead of using less intimidating initials, like "JC."
    JC is faster to type. And in my case Jesus is one of those words that my brain refuses
    to remember how to spell, which seriously slows down my typing for any sentence for
    which I would use the name and so I use the initials.

I'm certainly not timid about it, just not respectful towards an ancient fictional character.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 23:021 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree