1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    29 Jul '14 14:36
    Since this god would know exactly why people get sick eating pig, by saying don't eat pigs, first it is saying eating animal flesh is ok and second don't eat pig because I say so.

    Why would a real god encode it thus instead of just telling the people there is a tiny sickness inside some pigs so here is how you can eliminate that: then tell about how to raise and cook them so that trichinosis (as we know it now) is killed and therefore the pig is safe to eat.

    Could it be that the restriction made thus in a religious setting is there because it did not come from a god?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93559
    29 Jul '14 15:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since this god would know exactly why people get sick eating pig, by saying don't eat pigs, first it is saying eating animal flesh is ok and second don't eat pig because I say so.

    Why would a real god encode it thus instead of just telling the people there is a tiny sickness inside some pigs so here is how you can eliminate that: then tell about how to r ...[text shortened]... at the restriction made thus in a religious setting is there because it did not come from a god?
    id say so. either that or god didnt want people to realise that a bacon sandwich is better than heaven.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    29 Jul '14 15:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since this god would know exactly why people get sick eating pig, by saying don't eat pigs, first it is saying eating animal flesh is ok and second don't eat pig because I say so.

    Why would a real god encode it thus instead of just telling the people there is a tiny sickness inside some pigs so here is how you can eliminate that: then tell about how to r ...[text shortened]... at the restriction made thus in a religious setting is there because it did not come from a god?
    It was a rumor started by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12696
    29 Jul '14 15:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since this god would know exactly why people get sick eating pig, by saying don't eat pigs, first it is saying eating animal flesh is ok and second don't eat pig because I say so.

    Why would a real god encode it thus instead of just telling the people there is a tiny sickness inside some pigs so here is how you can eliminate that: then tell about how to r ...[text shortened]... at the restriction made thus in a religious setting is there because it did not come from a god?
    That is an old rule for the people in the wilderness. We Christians can eat pigs. I just had two pork chops at Cracker Barrel yesterday.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    29 Jul '14 16:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is an old rule for the people in the wilderness. We Christians can eat pigs. I just had two pork chops at Cracker Barrel yesterday.
    That was just an example showing a god did not make those restrictions yet it ended up in the bible anyway. It just shows you there is little you can trust in the bible coming from a god.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12696
    30 Jul '14 02:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That was just an example showing a god did not make those restrictions yet it ended up in the bible anyway. It just shows you there is little you can trust in the bible coming from a god.
    It was needed in the Law for those days, but God sent Christ into the world to make a new covenant of freedom to eat pork, etc. if cleaned first.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    30 Jul '14 10:40
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It was needed in the Law for those days, but God sent Christ into the world to make a new covenant of freedom to eat pork, etc. if cleaned first.
    It was NOT needed in those days. What was NEEDED was knowledge of what was going on to make people sick not just a religious edict to stop eating pork. That is my whole point. PEOPLE would say that because they knew nothing about the real issue. A god would have and would have said 'if you are going to eat pork, just make sure it's well cooked. There are tiny animals inside some of them that can hurt you'.

    That's what a real god would have done, not this mealy mouthed zero knowledge edict that could have come from any human with any brains after putting 2 and 2 together and seeing how some people get sick after eating pig.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55287
    30 Jul '14 11:24
    I think the concept came about because most people are like pigs and cannabalism is bad.

    However, that being said, I'm led to believe that pork (if not salted or cooled) rots very fast.
    Considering where and when these religious laws were laid down, it seems quite probable that they were to keep folk healthy, rather than divine.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    30 Jul '14 11:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It was NOT needed in those days. What was NEEDED was knowledge of what was going on to make people sick not just a religious edict to stop eating pork. That is my whole point. PEOPLE would say that because they knew nothing about the real issue. A god would have and would have said 'if you are going to eat pork, just make sure it's well cooked. There are ti ...[text shortened]... any brains after putting 2 and 2 together and seeing how some people get sick after eating pig.
    Really? And how many people cutting up pigs and saying "I don't see any tiny animals inside these pigs. This God guy is wacko" would it take before everyone said "Bah, this religion sucks".
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    30 Jul '14 11:31
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I think the concept came about because most people are like pigs and cannabalism is bad.

    However, that being said, I'm led to believe that pork (if not salted or cooled) rots very fast.
    Considering where and when these religious laws were laid down, it seems quite probable that they were to keep folk healthy, rather than divine.
    Yes, I can agree with this, because especially in the days before refrigerators, pigs were a relatively poor choice for a healthy meal. Try leaving even cooked bacon out in the sun and then scarf it down and see what happens. The fat spoils quickly.

    Welcome back, Shav, it's been a while.
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55287
    30 Jul '14 14:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, I can agree with this, because especially in the days before refrigerators, pigs were a relatively poor choice for a healthy meal. Try leaving even cooked bacon out in the sun and then scarf it down and see what happens. The fat spoils quickly.

    Welcome back, Shav, it's been a while.
    Yeah... I was out hunting vampires, ghouls and Christians.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78569
    30 Jul '14 15:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since this god would know exactly why people get sick eating pig, by saying don't eat pigs, first it is saying eating animal flesh is ok and second don't eat pig because I say so.

    Why would a real god encode it thus instead of just telling the people there is a tiny sickness inside some pigs so here is how you can eliminate that: then tell about how to r ...[text shortened]... at the restriction made thus in a religious setting is there because it did not come from a god?
    Maybe this is biblical evidence for the MFAP hypothesis, which people might remember being discussed in the Science forum a few years ago.

    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/07/02/the-mfap-hypothesis-for-the-origins-of-homo-sapiens/
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    30 Jul '14 18:411 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Maybe this is biblical evidence for the MFAP hypothesis, which people might remember being discussed in the Science forum a few years ago.

    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/07/02/the-mfap-hypothesis-for-the-origins-of-homo-sapiens/
    So don't eat pig because that would be akin to cannibalism?

    Though shalt not eat pigs for they are thy brothers.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    30 Jul '14 18:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So don't eat pig because that would be akin to cannibalism?

    Though shalt not eat pigs for they are thy brothers.
    And sisters.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    30 Jul '14 19:423 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    And sisters.
    "Ooooooh! This doesn't sound like the usual mindless, boring "gettin'-to-know-you" chit chat. That sounds like you actually have somethin' to say."


    Got your panties in a twist, Andy? Well, spit it out, "sister"!

    (Although if you're just "covering your tracks" again, don't bother.)
Back to Top