1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 14:16
    Why is it that the written historical record of the human race is only about 6000 years old? Why is it, if life on earth has been evolving for 500 million years, that there wouldn't be more evidence going back, say, 20 thousand years? How could the development of whole civilizations and languages and cultures occur and there not be more unearthing of civilization going back further than just 6000 years?

I'm not necessarily trying to prove anything here, I'm just interested in seeing what you all have to say to this.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 14:36
    Originally posted by josephw
    Why is it that the written historical record of the human race is only about 6000 years old? Why is it, if life on earth has been evolving for 500 million years, that there wouldn't be more evidence going back, say, 20 thousand years? How could the development of whole civilizations and languages and cultures occur and there not be more unearthing of civiliz ...[text shortened]... rying to prove anything here, I'm just interested in seeing what you all have to say to this.
    There is older stuff -- eg. the paintings in the Lascaux caves, dated to c. 30000 BCE -- but you probably have issues with the science, so there's little point in discussing it.

As for a literary record, the Sumerian chronicles go back hundreds of thousands of years. Methuselah was a spring chicken compared to some of those legendary kings.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 14:46
    Why is it that the written historical record of the human race is only about 6000 years old? Why is it, if life on earth has been evolving for 500 million years, that there wouldn't be more evidence going back, say, 20 thousand years? How could the development of whole civilizations and languages and cultures occur and there not be more unearthing of civiliz ...[text shortened]... rying to prove anything here, I'm just interested in seeing what you all have to say to this.
    Could it be that writing was only invented about 6,000 years ago? Hmmm....maybe that's why written records only go back that far. There are plenty of physical artifacts that go back further, however. Tools, pottery shards, skeletal remains, etc. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough. Or rather I should say, you're trying very hard to keep from seeing.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 14:512 edits
    Why is it that the written historical record of the human race is only about 6000 years old? Why is it, if life on earth has been evolving for 500 million years, that there wouldn't be more evidence going back, say, 20 thousand years? How could the development of whole civilizations and languages and cultures occur and there not be more unearthing of civiliz rying to prove anything here, I'm just interested in seeing what you all have to say to this.
    Could it be that mankind had been evolved/created into the kind of people we are today some 6000 years ago starting with Adam? 😉
  5. England
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 16:23
    since they would not have lived long lives, it could be asumed they were more interested in food and sex, rather than writting, not much change is it
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 04:32
    You folks don't get it!

If man had been around prior to 6000 years ago the archaeological remains of civilization would exstend futher back than just 6000 years. And not just a few smatterings of paint on the wall of a cave.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 04:45
    You folks don't get it!

If man had been around prior to 6000 years ago the archaeological remains of civilization would exstend futher back than just 6000 years. And not just a few smatterings of paint on the wall of a cave.
    Ever heard of aborigines?
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 04:46
    I was watching on history channel international the naked archaeologist interesting show. He suggested that the alphabet came from God and that on a cave it was telling the story of Moses and about an army that came out to chase him. While there were forms of writing there was not an alphabet where the characters make words instead of pictures. Interesting stuff.

Manny
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 05:05
    I was just checking out the site Naked Archaeologist sounds funny LOL it talks about that episode.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 06:46
    You folks don't get it!

You are essentially claiming:
    1. If man exists then civilization exists.
    2. If civilization exists then writing exists.
    To at least provide some evidence of your hypothesis, please provide links to any evidence that at least the vast majority of tribes/groups of man 500 years ago had both civilizations and writing.
    For example, as far as I know, before the arrival of the Europeans, the vast majority of the people in southern Africa did not write and most were not part of large civilizations.

Also where does the 6000 year figure come from? What examples do you have from that time?
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 11:56
    You folks don't get it!

They do extend further back. If you would take the time to study some of the various neolithic and paleolithic cultures then you would see there is a wealth of physical evidence to document that time period. It extends far beyond a few cave paintings.

Here is a table listing many of the prehistoric cultures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_table_of_the_principal_old_world_prehistoric_cultures

To take one example, you could look at the Magdalenian culture which flourished from 18,000 to 10,000 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalenian
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 12:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Could it be that mankind had been evolved/created into the kind of people we are today some 6000 years ago starting with Adam? 😉
    Not if one believes the text.
    Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 12:10
    Originally posted by rwingett
    They do extend further back. If you would take the time to study some of the various neolithic and paleolithic cultures then you would see there is a wealth of physical evidence to document that time period. It extends far beyond a few cave paintings.

Here is a table listing many of the prehistoric cultures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_tabl ...[text shortened]... re which flourished from 18,000 to 10,000 years ago:

Okay, I did. I know you trust the science behind the research, but I don't. The science behind the research cannot be relied upon with absolute confidence. No matter how advanced or technologically equipped science may be, it cannot be infallible. We are just not that smart. There's too much we don't know.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 12:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are essentially claiming:
    1. If man exists then civilization exists.
    2. If civilization exists then writing exists.
    To at least provide some evidence of your hypothesis, please provide links to any evidence that at least the vast majority of tribes/groups of man 500 years ago had both civilizations and writing.
    For example, as far as I know, befor ...[text shortened]... ns.

Also where does the 6000 year figure come from? What examples do you have from that time?
    The preponderance of evidence spanning the past 6000 years is clearly seen in the archaeological record. but it doesn't fade into the distant past as it appears it should if in fact we evolved.

Unless of course the was a sudden leap in evolution.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 13:26
    The preponderance of evidence spanning the past 6000 years is clearly seen in the archaeological record. but it doesn't fade into the distant past as it appears it should if in fact we evolved.

Unless of course the was a sudden leap in evolution.
    Are we talking about evidence as presented by some creationist museum or scientific archaeological evidence? Do you have any links to any data supporting such a ridiculous claim or is it simply your own opinion? All the evidence that I have heard of fades into the past exactly the way we would expect it to appear if in fact we evolved.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree