1. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 13:422 edits
    Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. (John 6:67-68 KJV)

In this thread I would like to post some of the teachings of the Bible which directly speak of eternal life in the Kingdom of God and compare these with other teachings which are sometimes used [incorrectly] to understand eternal life.

What do you think are some of these words of eternal life.. please post your thoughts.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 13:481 edit
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them,
    and they follow me:
    And I give unto them eternal life;
    and they shall never perish,
    neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all;
    and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    (John 10:27-29 KJV)

Speaks for itself .. no commentary necessary.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 15:16
    And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying,
    Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
    and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind;
    and thy neighbour as thyself.
    And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
    (Luke 10:25-28 KJV)
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 22:361 edit
    Here is one from Paul which is a much abused passage to show that Christians have eternal life through faith and that no works are required:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)

But later on in Ephesians 5 Paul lists some other requirements of obtaining eternal life. - such as righteous living and good works. Obviously then being saved does not equal eternal life
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 23:44
    I support this thread, as it merely states the obvious.

As long as you can stay away from the false witness and the judging of your brothers which pollute most of your other threads, this thread can stand tall as real Christian doctrine. I doubt you'll find many Christians who disagree with this thread as it stands. It's when you start criticizing Christians as having views they do not have, or assuming ridiculous things about their doctrine, that you start getting resistance, and rightfully so.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 23:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    ...when you start criticizing Christians as having views they do not have, or assuming ridiculous things about their doctrine, that you start getting resistance, and rightfully so.
    Rajk999 tackles the doctrines that people put forward head on. If only your "resistance" took the form of discussing it or debating it, rather than your tireless play-the-man-not-the-ball hobby horse, the forum would be better off for it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 23:511 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Rajk999 tackles the doctrines that people put forward head on. If only your "resistance" took the form of discussing it or debating it, rather than your tireless play-the-man-not-the-ball hobby horse, the forum would be better off for it.
    Please. Try to respect the thread. I do not see you even commenting on the topic, probably because you have nothing to say about it.

Oh, and please try to restrain your lies.

Overall, a "swing and a miss", as usual.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 23:58
    Please. Try to respect the thread.
    Even on a thread where you purport to agree with Rajk999, you use it first and foremost as a vehicle to condemn him in the exact same head down ears back dishonest way that you do on every single other thread. You are constantly letting yourself down, Suzianne.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even on a thread where you purport to agree with Rajk999, you use it first and foremost as a vehicle to condemn him in the exact same head down ears back dishonest way that you do on every single other thread. You are constantly letting yourself down, Suzianne.
    You think thats her clumsy way of being nice ?😀
    She is not going to be nice for very long .. fortunately.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Here is one from Paul which is a much abused passage to show that Christians have eternal life through faith and that no works are required:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)

But later on in Ephesians 5 Paul lists some other r ...[text shortened]... such as righteous living and good works. Obviously then being saved does not equal eternal life
    Continuing with the Ephesians passage, Paul tells the Ephesians that they were dead in their sinful past life, but are now brought to life by Christ. This is what Paul means by the expression saved by grace. He means two things here:
    1. that they are saved from their old sins and brought into a life in Christ - a new lifestyle, new rules of conduct, new morals and behavior which are expected of the Christian Saint,
    2. that Christ's death paid the price of their sins past, the old man is dead and a new one emerges, and the curse of the sin of Adam is removed.

Nothing in the 'saved by grace' expression means that these Ephesian Saints
    - either have eternal life already
    - or are going to get any guarantee of eternal life in the future.

These Gentiles were simply brought out of a life of darkness and sins and shown a new way, with the hope of eternal life. It was not because of their good works that they were transformed into a new people. It was through the grace of God, not good works at all lest any should boast.

Still this Ephesians 2 chapter says nothing about eternal life. Eternal life and who gets into the Kingdom of God is dealt with in chapter 5. What is obvious is that Christian Saints who are saved are not necessarily going to enter the Kingdom of God and be given eternal life.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 01:29
    In Ephesians 2, Paul explains how Christians are saved, but addresses the eternal life part here in Ephesians 5, where he advises on how to get into the Kingdom of God:

And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. (Ephesians 5:2-5 KJV)

All Christian saints are saved by the blood of Christ, all are saved from their life of sin, but
    not all Christian saints will have an inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

Saved is not necessarily equal to eternal life.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 01:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    I say again, that the dishonesty here is all yours, as usual.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 02:22
    I say again, that the dishonesty here is all yours, as usual.
    Play the ball, Suzianne, instead of the man.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 03:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Play the ball, Suzianne, instead of the man.
    Ball players play ball.
    Men players play men
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 03:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Ball players play ball.
    Men players play men
    Or, person-players play persons. Maybe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree