1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 14:43
    My point is this: If you are an intelligent dinosaur, say some kind of way evolved T Rex, you would be literally the meanest SOB in the valley. Would such a being have a NEED to believe in a god?

It points out to me the idea that the reason we need a god is to have a crutch to fall back on, an invisible friend who you think helps you out of difficulties. That would be because humans, although intelligent, are weak physically, even the strongest of us pales in strength compared even to a chimp. So, humans, seeing their weakness, needs to derive strength from what humans think is some power outside of themselves, an emotional crutch. Which is not to say we might need such a crutch but our physical weakness and inability to do anything about the events of nature, floods, tornado's, earthquakes and so forth and the intelligence we possess that clearly tells us we are helpless, that perceived helplessness in the face of danger may tell us to seek outside powers for help.

The actuality of such outside powers is open for debate but the search, the yearning for such is a fact.

So the main question is, ultimately, is this good for us as a species or does it lead us down a dark path unable to fully mature as a race?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 14:45
    Faith in God is never misplaced.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 14:56
    I'd guess the most important reason why "we" believe in god is because we are so damn conscious or ourselves. We know that there was a time when we didn't exist (both the species and the individual) and we know that eventually we're going to die. And there's nothing we can do to stop that! That's some heavy stuff that we have to deal with! All those animals that are completely oblivious to their impending doom. How lucky they are.

What if we someday conquer death? Would there still be a need for an afterlife? What if we can overcome our physical bodies and life forever in a computer? Who needs an afterlife then?

Your dinosaur would most definitely need a god, because it too would be faced with its own mortality. No matter how strong a predator you may be, if you get hit by an asteroid, you die.
  4. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 15:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My point is this: If you are an intelligent dinosaur, say some kind of way evolved T Rex, you would be literally the meanest SOB in the valley. Would such a being have a NEED to believe in a god?

It points out to me the idea that the reason we need a god is to have a crutch to fall back on, an invisible friend who you think helps you out of difficulties. ...[text shortened]... s good for us as a species or does it lead us down a dark path unable to fully mature as a race?
    I think that's a good question; one I've wrestled with myself using similar variations. Namely, what possible good is our god concept and what purpose does it/did it serve?Reveal Hidden Content
    assuming from a position of an evolutionist who considers the equation without God

On the one hand, one could argue how the binding nature of commonly-held beliefs aided in the group efforts necessary for survival throughout our early and mid-history. But that position also assumes a progression from animal-like existence to our written-history-onward development is goal-oriented: as though we're on a desirable path.

What makes such a position problematic is (at least) three-fold.
    • How many other aspects of evolution are based on concepts?
    • If faith was good, what makes it bad?
    • If faith is a good thing, why are we the only ones with it?
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 16:37

It points out to me the idea that the reason we need a god is to have a crutch to fall back on, an invisible friend who you think helps you out of difficulties. ...[text shortened]... s good for us as a species or does it lead us down a dark path unable to fully mature as a race?
    How do you know if T-Rex was an sOB? Even if it is mean doesn't make it an SOB?

Rock give glory to God so I am sure the T-Rex did/does too.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 18:05
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    How do you know if T-Rex was an sOB? Even if it is mean doesn't make it an SOB?

Rock give glory to God so I am sure the T-Rex did/does too.
    I think it is safe to say T rex didn't have much of a sense of humor so it would see things as fight or flight and there isn't much about Rex that would call for flight so I think most times it would just start raising hell and damn the consequences.

If that was an intelligent T, I would think it unlikely it would think in terms of human weaknesses and would therefore tend to be atheist or maybe just untheist.

Of course, a tornado would slam a T rex down just as bad as a human so there would probably be things that would scare it. Not many though.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '13 23:49
    Yes!!! All nature praises God.

In heaven, there is a garden of roses that always makes me smile. The roses constantly sing praises to God. "Praise be God, Praise be God, The One who lives forever and ever."
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 00:13
    Yes, and the god would be a dinosaur of the same species.
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 00:20
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes, and the god would be a dinosaur of the same species.
    God is unending. Like a circle, no beginning and no end.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 00:40
    I think it is safe to say T rex didn't have much of a sense of humor so it would see things as fight or flight and there isn't much about Rex that would call for flight so I think most times it would just start raising hell and damn the consequences.

If that was an intelligent T, I would think it unlikely it would think in terms of human weaknesses and ...[text shortened]... n just as bad as a human so there would probably be things that would scare it. Not many though.
    I would bet that you have never seen a live T-Rex. So you really don't know that it was not a nice creature that ate coconuts.