1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:121 edit
    I saw one of the most depressing segments on the CBS News this evening. It was not written as a "problem" piece, but I would be interested in your reactions.

It pointed out how youth and youth ministers are very savy with technology to the point of getting sermons on their IPod, communicating with one another on MySpace and basically living very isolated lives. The thing that really got me was this one kid complaining that he really didn't need church because it was "confusing knowing when to stand, sit and sing." The irony is that he downloads all kinds of Christian stuff on his IPod and can skateboard and navigate his IPod at the same time.

So I came away from the segment seeing Christian youth today as theologically lazy and shallow and using technology to isolate from any meaningful community and service.

Jesus wept.
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:35
    ...he posted on the internet.....

for sure we are shy sometimes when it comes to really talking face to face with our fellow man (and I do mean especially man).....
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:42
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    ...he posted on the internet.....

for sure we are shy sometimes when it comes to really talking face to face with our fellow man (and I do mean especially man).....
    Please forgive my hypocrisy as I used the internet to post this.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:49
    I speak only from my own weakness.....
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 02:25
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I saw one of the most depressing segments on the CBS News this evening. It was not written as a "problem" piece, but I would be interested in your reactions.

It pointed out how youth and youth ministers are very savy with technology to the point of getting sermons on their IPod, communicating with one another on MySpace and basically living very isola ...[text shortened]... w and using technology to isolate from any meaningful community and service.

Jesus wept.
    Do you really think an omnipresent, omnibenevolent God would care how or where people worship him, and in what way?
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Do you really think an omnipresent, omnibenevolent God would care how or where people worship him, and in what way?
    Tell me Scottishinnz, what is it that lifts your spirits? What switches you on? What is it that gives you a rush - and I mean longer term, that keeps you going day after day? We all understand the adrenalin rush of snowboarding or waterskiing etc, but there is a deeper kind of satisfaction or contentment; and after reading hundreds of your posts here, my curiosity has been aroused. What is it that switches you on. What keeps you going, and where is it taking you?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:25

It pointed out how youth and youth ministers are very savy with technology to the point of getting sermons on their IPod, communicating with one another on MySpace and basically living very isola ...[text shortened]... w and using technology to isolate from any meaningful community and service.

Jesus wept.
    Maybe you are susciptible to media hype.

I serve with young people who love God and I think the spiritual future of the Chrisian church has a bright future.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:27
    Yes He would care. You're the one who doesn't care.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:32
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Tell me Scottishinnz, what is it that lifts your spirits? What switches you on? What is it that gives you a rush - and I mean longer term, that keeps you going day after day? We all understand the adrenalin rush of snowboarding or waterskiing etc, but there is a deeper kind of satisfaction or contentment; and after reading hundreds of your posts here, ...[text shortened]... been aroused. What is it that switches you on. What keeps you going, and where is it taking you?
    He's has the age old Stand Up Against Jesus adrenaline rush. It can be very addicting, you know?

The very thought of fighting against God can be enormously gratifying to some egos. They become enslaved to it.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:42
    I don't believe in an omnipresent or omnibenevolent God.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:50
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Maybe you are susciptible to media hype.

I serve with young people who love God and I think the spiritual future of the Chrisian church has a bright future.
    Do you see that manifested in contemporary Christian music?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 14:55
    I don't believe in an omnipresent or omnibenevolent God.
    Wow! How then does he keep track of his creation? Does this mean he can only listen to one prayer at a time? Also, if he is not onmibenevolent then how could he be a God of love?
  13. Joined
    24 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 16:59
    seeing Christian youth today as theologically lazy and shallow and using technology to isolate from any meaningful community and service.
    Just delete the words "Christian" and "theologically" and you´ve got a pretty accurate statement about the youth of today.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wow! How then does he keep track of his creation? Does this mean he can only listen to one prayer at a time? Also, if he is not onmibenevolent then how could he be a God of love?
    I don't know. If He would be omnipresent and let me know, I would give you an answer.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:53
    I don't know. If He would be omnipresent and let me know, I would give you an answer.
    I just wondered what brought you to that conclusion or assumption.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree