1. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 07:28
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    WOW........

Talk about being smothered by words......

I don't think I'll be able to hold a discussion with you if every word gets a paragraph response! I don't even know which of your responses are the most important (for you!) to get a response back from me.

But here goes:

1) GKC wrote a book: "Orthodoxy", which I've got. Hence my remark.

2) I didn't even know you are RC. Seriously. Thanks for telling me. I have no problem with the RC church. (Now PLEASE don't latch on to this and say: "But you said.........!" Amongst other things, I am a member of a Contemplative Community which includes RC priests and nuns, Methodists, Dutch Reformed and several other denominations and undenominated persons like me.)

3) Infallibility. I never intended this in the strict technical sense that you interpreted it. But, in view of 2), I now understand. What I meant is simply the "I am right, you are wrong" paradigm. With the (unteachable) added implication: "I am not even prepared to consider the remote possibility that I might be a teensy weensy little bit wrong!"

4) I agree with Paul's teaching which says that we should be prepared to give an account of what we believe at all times. That means (to me) that if somebody explicitly asks me, I will reply. But I will not try to convince anybody else to adopt my particular position.

5) My own (continuing) spiritual journey is quite similar to Huston Smith. Christ is my centre, but I believe that Christ is bigger than Christianity! (Now THERE is something to latch on to.....)

6) Finally, blessings on your own personal spiritual journey. I have no quarrel with you!

In peace

CJ
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 07:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What can society do? The UN is possibly the only hope since individual states are normally obsessed with a single religion (despite their constitutions). Should the UN Rights of the Child be extended/amended?
    Education in the sciences is the one balm that can (in theory) be applied immediately, I reckon. Beyond that, there needs to be a general "consciousness raising" recognition among those who become parents that, just as it is wrong to abuse a child's body, so too is it wrong to abuse a child's mind and attempt to hammer a child into miniature versions of their caretakers. The best parents, I think, give their children access to different spiritual viewpoints, encourage them to think critically, and inculcate them with those moral and ethical values which are universally accepted by humanity (or nearly so).
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 09:42
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Soothfast,you have called me subhuman,"sumbitch",a bloody hypocrite and someone who makes a pretense of being a "Sadhak" !
    Why ? What makes you call me all these names ? I am nearly 65 years old and a practicing engineering consultant,being a team leader on a complex urban interchange construction.I am deeply into Bhakti Sadhana and I love the Universe ...[text shortened]... house.
    By the way Hitler used to call all slavs and jews as subhuman.Do you admire Hitler ?
    Upon further reflection on the matter I've come to the conclusion that I was too harsh. Certainly, if you wish to advance the proposition that some atheists have no soul, then that is your right. Normally something like that would be, to me, as water off a duck's back; but then, normally, I hear such things from individuals whose words hold little weight with me. Evidently, then, your posts on this forum have some sway, at least in my mind.

So, I apologize.

Use this power of yours wisely.
  4. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 10:32
    Originally posted by CalJust
    [b]WOW........

Talk about being smothered by words......
    LOL, yes, I guess I did get a little carried away. 🙂

--pyx
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 11:10
    CalJust and pyxelated. Just wanted to say how thoroughly I enjoyed reading the exchange between you. I was both informed and inspired. Thanks for demonstrating how two individuals with opposing views can have an intelligent exchange of thoughts and ideas. I was about to give up on this forum.

Romans 3:4a - God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

Seems a strange verse to quote after what I said above, but don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that in whatever we think, say and do, it must all be in accord with the Word of God. As far as our faith allows.

Proverbs 3:5,6

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Jesus said, "man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." My point is this; We must be careful not to impose our thoughts and ideas and perceptions on matters of faith. When we do, what we create is a religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree