Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. 24 Dec '05 17:30 / 1 edit
    The Goddess has given birth to the Sun God 🙂

    Blessed be.

    And have a happy new year 🙂
  2. 25 Dec '05 23:18
    Originally posted by dags
    The Goddess has given birth to the Sun God 🙂

    Blessed be.

    And have a happy new year 🙂
    Just making sure you didn't die alone!
  3. Standard member windmill
    your king.
    25 Dec '05 23:46
    Originally posted by dags
    The Goddess has given birth to the Sun God 🙂

    Blessed be.

    And have a happy new year 🙂
    Happy new year Dags!
  4. 26 Dec '05 00:52
    Originally posted by dags
    The Goddess has given birth to the Sun God 🙂

    Blessed be.

    And have a happy new year 🙂
    God jul (literally translated, that means "good Yule" in Norwegian, although the usual translation would be "merry Christmas" )! Can you tell us a bit more about Yule? Where does it come from, and how old is it? Of course I could look it up on the internet, but my internet connection is somewhat limited at the moment, and I am lazy... Since you talk about the birth of the Sun God, it sounds like the Roman Mithras cult, but Yule is older, isn't it?
  5. 26 Dec '05 13:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    God jul (literally translated, that means "good Yule" in Norwegian, although the usual translation would be "merry Christmas" )! Can you tell us a bit more about Yule? Where does it come from, and how old is it? Of course I could look it up on the internet, but my internet connection is somewhat limited at the moment, and I am lazy... Since you talk about the birth of the Sun God, it sounds like the Roman Mithras cult, but Yule is older, isn't it?
    I'll try 🙂

    Well the word is thought by some to be from the Norse word for wheel (wheel of the year thing) but the word was around before the Norse had wheels. Yule was celebrated for at least a couple of thousand years before christians as celebration of the winter solstice usally about December 21 or 22.

    Since the celebration of Yule was around for ages before the Romans, Saternalia,Mithras,whatever I think they adopted it much like the christians did later on (as a way of bringing the pagans into the fold). Mithras was supposed to have been born on the 25th though so that might be where that came from. But most Wiccans do their celebrating on the 21 or 22, when the actual solstice is.

    Things like the tree and mistletoe, the yule log are actually all pagan. Mistletoe is a very ancient fertility symbol becuase of what its juice looks like 🙂

    Any help?
  6. Standard member KneverKnight
    Strawman
    26 Dec '05 14:00
    I think the Yule Log was supposed to burn for a number of days (12?), so the log was really a big tree.
  7. 26 Dec '05 14:31
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I think the Yule Log was supposed to burn for a number of days (12?), so the log was really a big tree.
    Some say it should burn for 12 days and other just the whole night and then be let to smolder for 12 days but all the Wiccans I know, including me use a wooden candle holder and candle as it's usually to darn hot here for fires at this time of year.
  8. 26 Dec '05 15:06
    Originally posted by dags
    I'll try 🙂

    Well the word is thought by some to be from the Norse word for wheel (wheel of the year thing) but the word was around before the Norse had wheels. Yule was celebrated for at least a couple of thousand years before christians as celebration of the winter solstice usally about December 21 or 22.

    Since the celebration of Yule was around for age ...[text shortened]... istletoe is a very ancient fertility symbol becuase of what its juice looks like 🙂

    Any help?
    Yes, thanks. I wasn't sure whether the celebration of the solstice and Yule were the same thing. One of my sisters and her husband decided last year that they'd rather celebrate the winter solstice than Christmas (they still have a small Christmas celebration for his mother, though).

    Speaking of "hjul" (wheel) / "jul" (Yule), I once asked in a kindergarten if anyone knew a Christmas song ("julesang" ), and one child suggested "Hjulene paa bussen" (The Wheels of the Bus). 😉
  9. 26 Dec '05 15:07
    Originally posted by dags
    Some say it should burn for 12 days and other just the whole night and then be let to smolder for 12 days but all the Wiccans I know, including me use a wooden candle holder and candle as it's usually to darn hot here for fires at this time of year.
    If it's a celebration of the winter solstice, why do you celebrate it in summer?
  10. 26 Dec '05 15:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If it's a celebration of the winter solstice, why do you celebrate it in summer?
    So don't, some do, it depends on whether one chooses to honour the northern or southern hemisphere date. I do the northern date, I have friends who do the southern date. It's just a preference.