1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    19 Mar '05 17:53
    Zengetsu, a Chinese master of the T'ang dynasty, wrote the following advice for his pupils:

    Living in the world yet not forming attachments to the dust of the world is the way of a true Zen student.

    When witnessing the good action of another encourage yourself to follow his example. Hearing of the mistaken action of another, advise yourself not to emulate it.

    Even though alone in a dark room, be as if you were facing a noble guest. Express your feelings, but become no more expressive than your true nature.

    Poverty is your treasure. Never exchange it for an easy life.

    A person may appear a fool and yet not be one. He may only be guarding his wisdom carefully.

    Virtues are the fruit of self-discipline and do not drop from heaven of themselves as does rain or snow.

    Modesty is the foundation of all virtues. Let your neighbors discover you before you make yourself known to them.

    A noble heart never forces itself forward. Its words are as rare gems, seldom displayed and of great value.

    To a sincere student, every day is a fortunate day. Time passes but he never lags behind. Neither glory nor shame can move him.

    Censure yourself, never another. Do not discuss right and wrong.

    Some things, though right, were considered wrong for generations. Since the value of righteousness may be recognized after centuries, there is no need to crave an immediate appreciation.

    Live with cause leave results to the great law of the universe. Pass each day in peaceful contemplation.

    from Zen Flesh, Zen Bones

    ------------------------------------

    Censure yourself, never another. Do not discuss right and wrong.

    Hmmmm.....no good zen students here.
  2. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Joined
    16 Jun '04
    Moves
    63851
    19 Mar '05 18:05
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Zengetsu, a Chinese master of the T'ang dynasty, wrote the following advice for his pupils:

    Living in the world yet not forming attachments to the dust of the world is the way of a true Zen student.

    When witnessing the good action of another encourage yourself to follow his example. Hearing of the mistaken action of another, advise yourself not to em ...[text shortened]... elf, never another. Do not discuss right and wrong.[/i]

    Hmmmm.....no good zen students here.
    And when have I censured anyone or discussed right and wrong past the idea that some of those who think they know the difference do not?

    This one I think describes me somewhat: "A person may appear a fool and yet not be one. He may only be guarding his wisdom carefully." Though I cannot vouch for the value of my wisdom, consider it guarded.

    And I just like this one: "Some things, though right, were considered wrong for generations. Since the value of righteousness may be recognized after centuries, there is no need to crave an immediate appreciation." I may make it my new e-mail signature.

    ... --- ...
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    19 Mar '05 18:09
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    And when have I censured anyone or discussed right and wrong past the idea that some of those who think they know the difference do not?
    As I am a good Zen student, I can not say more.




    Just pulling your leg, tsos. 😉
  4. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Joined
    23 Jun '04
    Moves
    2234
    19 Mar '05 19:42
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    And I just like this one: "Some things, though right, were considered wrong for generations. Since the value of righteousness may be recognized after centuries, there is no need to crave an immediate appreciation." I may make it my new e-mail signature.
    Yeah, me too.

    This one I think could be learnt by a few more in this place too:

    "To a sincere student, every day is a fortunate day. Time passes but he never lags behind. Neither glory nor shame can move him."

    MÅ¥HÅRM
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    3242
    20 Mar '05 02:56
    Zen teachings are the most practical spiritual philiosophies I have seen. Christianity, Islam, Jewish, they all seem to be jam packed with "filler" material, with no obvious use. Zen is about living...
Back to Top