1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '22 09:56
    This is from the Daily Mail but there is lots of media coverage on the topic over here.

It’s difficult to know where to start with this wokist piffle, but I’ll begin with the tears of the children and the manufactured outrage… It’s simple, if you don’t like what the postmodern churches are preaching then take your money and give it to charity instead of to these tax-dodging flaky virtue signallers.

Here’s the text, link at the bottom.

Church worshippers cried 'heresy' at the Dean of Trinity College as they left a sermon claiming Jesus may have been transgender 'in tears'.

But the view of a transgender Jesus is 'legitimate', according to Dr Michael Banner, the Dean who stepped in to defend the claim made at a Sermon last Sunday that Christ had a 'trans body'.

Dr Michael Banner, the Dean of Trinity College, was backing up junior research fellow Joshua Heath, who displayed Renaissance and Medieval paintings of the crucifixion depicting a side wound that he likened to a vagina in front of the congregation.

The side wound 'takes on a decidedly vaginal appearance', said Heath, whose PhD was supervised by the former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

The Dean of Trinity College, Dr Michael Banner, has stepped in to back up the view of a transgender Jesus after a junior research fellow claimed Christ had a 'trans body' last Sunday.

In Christ's simultaneously masculine and feminine body in these works, if the body of Christ as these works suggest the body of all bodies, then his body is also the trans body,' claimed the researcher.

Heath used the 1400th-century painting Pietà with the Holy Trinity by Jean Malouel, on display in the Louvre, to illustrate his point, according to The Daily Telegraph.

French artist Henri Maccheroni’s 1990 work 'Christs' also appeared during the sermon, as did the Prayer Book of Bonne of Luxembourg.

In a letter to the Dean, one worshipper said: 'I left the service in tears. You offered to speak with me afterwards, but I was too distressed. I am contemptuous of the idea that by cutting a hole in a man, through which he can be penetrated, he can become a woman.

'I am especially contemptuous of such imagery when it is applied to our Lord, from the pulpit, at Evensong. I am contemptuous of the notion that we should be invited to contemplate the martyrdom of a ‘trans Christ’, a new heresy for our age.'

Others said they felt unwelcome in the church, adding that the children attending were visibly uncomfortable.

But Banner wrote a letter defending the sermon, seen by The Telegraph, saying: 'For myself, I think that speculation was legitimate, whether or not you or I or anyone else disagrees with the interpretation, says something else about that artistic tradition, or resists its application to contemporary questions around transsexualism.'

He said however that he would not issue an invitation to someone who he thought would deliberately seek to shock or offend the congregation, or who he anticipated would speak against the Christian faith.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11473423/Its-heresy-Worshippers-left-tears-Cambridge-dean-claims-Jesus-TRANSGENDER.html
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '22 09:57
    Careful how you reply, auto mod will alert the “vag” word.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Nov '22 11:38
    @divegeester said
    This is from the Daily Mail but there is lots of media coverage on the topic over here.

It’s difficult to know where to start with this wokist piffle, but I’ll begin with the tears of the children and the manufactured outrage… It’s simple, if you don’t like what the postmodern churches are preaching then take your money and give it to charity instead of to these tax-d ...[text shortened]... news/article-11473423/Its-heresy-Worshippers-left-tears-Cambridge-dean-claims-Jesus-TRANSGENDER.html
    Just about every famous person is labeled transgender these days. It's very stylish, so this should come as no surprise. 10 years from now another label will be in vogue, and they'll hang that one on Jesus too. Trends and fashion just recycle themselves.

"The head monkey in Paris puts on a traveler's cap, and all the monkeys in America do the same" Walden - Henery David Thoreau
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Nov '22 13:12
    @divegeester

Renaissance paintings prove doodly squat. This is post-modernist people bending over backwards to make Jesus 'inclusive.' Weird. Strained weird.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Nov '22 20:19
    on second reading of the article: I’m all in favor of abstruse theological speculation published in abstruse theological journals. Preaching abstruse pc to ten-yr olds from the pulpit as if it were canonical doctrine is way off base.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Dec '22 17:12
    Spear-wounds aside, it's interesting that none of you cogno-grokki have yet made any reference to the Divine Androgyne.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Dec '22 02:02
    @divegeester said

It’s difficult to know where to start with this wokist piffle, but I’ll begin with the tears of the children and the manufactured outrage… It’s simple, if you don’t like what the postmodern churches are preaching then take your money and give it to charity instead of to these tax-d ...[text shortened]... news/article-11473423/Its-heresy-Worshippers-left-tears-Cambridge-dean-claims-Jesus-TRANSGENDER.html
    Satan does his best work in the pulpit.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '22 04:48
    @josephw said
    Satan does his best work in the pulpit.
    The most powerful Satanic influence comes from inside the Christian church?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Dec '22 21:16
    @divegeester said
    The most powerful Satanic influence comes from inside the Christian church?
    Upon where else would you expect Satan to focus his hatred?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '22 22:10
    @josephw said
    Upon where else would you expect Satan to focus his hatred?
    I don’t expect anything, I’m just asking you about what your asserted.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 09:20
    @divegeester said
    I don’t expect anything, I’m just asking you about what your asserted.
    Maybe you should have some expectations. That way you might find yourself contributing to assertions made.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 09:40
    @josephw said
    Maybe you should have some expectations. That way you might find yourself contributing to assertions made.
    I am contributing, I’m asking you about your cliched, hackneyed, unscriptural, lazy sound-bite. I first heard it when I was about 15, didn’t think anyone used it or even thought that way these days.

As I said, no expectations on Satan nor his best route to market.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 09:55
    @divegeester said
    I am contributing, I’m asking you about your cliched, hackneyed, unscriptural, lazy sound-bite. I first heard it when I was about 15, didn’t think anyone used it or even thought that way these days.

As I said, no expectations on Satan nor his best route to market.
    How can you make a contribution when you've tossed out so many jots and tittles from the scriptures that you can scarcely connect to any truth in a discussion about the enemy?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 10:021 edit
    @josephw said
    How can you make a contribution when you've tossed out so many jots and tittles from the scriptures that you can scarcely connect to any truth in a discussion about the enemy?
    This is not a discussion about the enemy. The OP is about the congregational all push-back against gender wokism in a particular UK Christian denomination. You made a lazy unscriptural comment about Satan getting his best work done in the Christian church.

I can “connect” the truth in the bible perfectly adequately Josephw, you on the other hand can’t even decide if the snake in the garden of even was literal or not.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 17:25
    @divegeester said
    This is not a discussion about the enemy. The OP is about the congregational all push-back against gender wokism in a particular UK Christian denomination. You made a lazy unscriptural comment about Satan getting his best work done in the Christian church.

I can “connect” the truth in the bible perfectly adequately Josephw, you on the other hand can’t even decide if the snake in the garden of even was literal or not.
    You make a sound like a Christian, but obviously you don't believe like one.

Clearly a reference to the lie about Jesus is entirely relative to the enemy of the church.

But you're so wrapped up in your disdain and contempt against anyone referencing the scriptures to make a point that you dismiss out of hand God's Word in reply to your OP.

Unidimensional, quasi-intellectual and unspiritual claptrap without substance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree