"… when Moses was grown … "

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Oct 13

Originally posted by Penguin
Most people either believe in and follow the teachings of some other deity or deities, or don't believe in any deity at all.
Most people? Really?

Which deity (or deities) would this be?

As far as I know, and according to the World Religion Database (http://www.worldreligiondatabase.org/wrd_default.asp), Abrahamic religions account for over 3.8 billion people on this planet.

I'd call that most people.

P

Moves
14 Oct 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Most people? Really?

Which deity (or deities) would this be?

As far as I know, and according to the World Religion Database (http://www.worldreligiondatabase.org/wrd_default.asp), Abrahamic religions account for over 3.8 billion people on this planet.

I'd call that most people.
You are having to lump together three related, but I would contend very different, religions to get that figure which is just barely a majority.

Do you really think Jews and Muslims believe in the same god? Do you think that most Jews, Muslims and Christians think that they all believe in the same god?

I certainly agree that the three are related but I don't think you can really lump them together in this context.

--- Penguin.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 13
1 edit

So that implies that there is less rebellion and sin now then there was then. Probably far less, given that he has not made a single public appearance in the last 2000 years.

Do you agree with that, given that far less than 1/3 of the human population profess to believe in your god at all? Most people either believe in and follow the teachings of some other deity or deities, or don't believe in any deity at all.

--- Alistair.
So it depends on how many believe? At one time everyone thought the world was flat. Does that make it so?

You aren't speaking of revealing himself on a personal one on one level.
Now you want a world wide revelation with signs and wonders...
Well, be patient, there is one big one coming soon...🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Oct 13

You are having to lump together three related, but I would contend very different, religions to get that figure which is just barely a majority.

Do you really think Jews and Muslims believe in the same god? Do you think that most Jews, Muslims and Christians think that they all believe in the same god?

I certainly agree that the three are related but I don't think you can really lump them together in this context.

--- Penguin.
By definition, they all worship "the God of Abraham".

Yeah, I'd say it's the same God. This was the gist of your post, was it not? That "most people" worshipped other deities?

Do I think that most Jews, Muslims and Christians 'think' they all believe in the same God? No, definitely not. Which is a shame. Just see the following posts to see, I'm sure RJH will appear with his Islam-bashing and possibly others.

Just because the three have different traditions to worship "the God of Abraham" doesn't mean it's not the same God. Just different humans. After all, is a Roman Catholic service the same as a Southern Baptist service? Definitely not. But they're still both Christian.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
14 Oct 13

johnny, there's no use in "talking" and "acting" like an atheist unless you actually are one.
🙁 I got busted.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
🙁 I got busted.
Sorry, didn't mean to spoil your party. 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
14 Oct 13

By definition, they all worship "the God of Abraham".

Yeah, I'd say it's the same God. This was the gist of your post, was it not? That "most people" worshipped other deities?

Do I think that most Jews, Muslims and Christians 'think' they all believe in the same God? No, definitely not. Which is a shame. Just see the following posts to see, I'm s ...[text shortened]... vice the same as a Southern Baptist service? Definitely not. But they're still both Christian.
If Cathiolics and Protestants worship the same god then Spanish and Italian are the same language.

If Christians and Jews worship the same god then English is a dialect of German.

If Christians and Muslims worship the same god then all the Indo-European languages are basically one language.

P

Moves
14 Oct 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
If Cathiolics and Protestants worship the same god then Spanish and Italian are the same language.

If Christians and Jews worship the same god then English is a dialect of German.

If Christians and Muslims worship the same god then all the Indo-European languages are basically one language.
I was trying to think of a way of describing this but wolfgang59 got there first. The roots of all three religions may be shared but the gods they worship now are significantly different. As indeed are the gods of catholics and southern baptists.

Penguin.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59

Technicalities, technicalities, tsk tsk....
There is only one God, the God of Abraham...
The problem is that all these different groups you mention have their own interpretation.
In fact, what a lot of people do is make God in their image and how they suppose he should be. And then religion started....

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
14 Oct 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Technicalities, technicalities, tsk tsk....
There is only one God, the God of Abraham...
The problem is that all these different groups you mention have their own interpretation.
In fact, what a lot of people do is make God in their image and how they suppose he should be. And then religion started....
OK, I got busted by the lovely Suzianne.
But I'd like to ask you one question about your last post.

If God had been still talking to us right up to today,
do you think then that none of these ( extra ) religions
would exist?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 13

OK, I got busted by the lovely Suzianne.
But I'd like to ask you one question about your last post.

If God had been still talking to us right up to today,
do you think then that none of these ( extra ) religions
would exist?
Yes...if God, as you say were talking...
Problem with your comment though is God is still talking today...

There were all kinds of different Deities in the bible.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
14 Oct 13

Yes...if God, as you say were talking...
Problem with your comment though is God is still talking today...

There were all kinds of different Deities in the bible.
Well I was assuming that according to you
there was only one Deity.

So where is he? Why has he been missing for thousands of years?

Is it because he was never really there in the first place?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 13

Well I was assuming that according to you
there was only one Deity.

So where is he? Why has he been missing for thousands of years?

Is it because he was never really there in the first place?
Of course not, Let's see, in the book of Acts there was Diana of the Ephesians, in the old test., there was Baal, Molech, etc...

What makes you say he has been missing? Careful how you answer Suzianne is reading this..🙂

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
14 Oct 13

Of course not, Let's see, in the book of Acts there was Diana of the Ephesians, in the old test., there was Baal, Molech, etc...

What makes you say he has been missing? Careful how you answer Suzianne is reading this..🙂
You have to remember, this was a book written by men.
It was written by men. Not any God. Men are funny creatures.
When it comes to writing history, especially all those years ago,
the victors write the history. The losers are either dead, or in
prison or they have no say at all.

It is a bit of a stretch of the imagination to say that these words
were inspired by any supernatural being.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 13

You have to remember, this was a book written by men.
It was written by men. Not any God. Men are funny creatures.
When it comes to writing history, especially all those years ago,
the victors write the history. The losers are either dead, or in
prison or they have no say at all.

It is a bit of a stretch of the imagination to say that these words
were inspired by any supernatural being.
I don't see it as a stretch at all. The bible has been fought over, people have tried to destroy it over and over, all throughout time.

It would behoove you to read a book entitled "The New Testament Documents" by F.F.Bruce.
I will try to find some samples and hopefully paste some in here..or a link...