1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 17:28
    Why is there constant press surrounding certain athletes the US sports media deems to be interesting?

Prime example: Michelle Wie.

She's never even won a single professional golf tournament yet she makes ESPN.com front page news.

Michelle Wie, if you're reading this, I hate you for having to see your name on the news. HATE YOU.
  2. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 18:20
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why is there constant press surrounding certain athletes the US sports media deems to be interesting?

Prime example: Michelle Wie.

She's never even won a single professional golf tournament yet she makes ESPN.com front page news.

Michelle Wie, if you're reading this, I hate you for having to see your name on the news. HATE YOU.
    Even if she read your spot-on note, she would forget it immediately as she seems to have troubles with her memory. She forgets that she crashes and burns at every men's event she gets an exemption to. She forgets to sign her scorecard and DQ's. She forgets to take fluids and collapses on the course due to dehydration. She even forgets when she's injured, claiming that she hurt her wrist and withdrew from the tournament Sorenstam hosted, only to be found hitting balls on the range a little while later. Maybe next year, with no more available exemptions to her, she'll forget she's a professional golfer and stay home. We can only hope.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 18:25
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Even if she read your spot-on note, she would forget it immediately as she seems to have troubles with her memory. She forgets that she crashes and burns at every men's event she gets an exemption to. She forgets to sign her scorecard and DQ's. She forgets to take fluids and collapses on the course due to dehydration. She even forgets when she's injured, ...[text shortened]... emptions to her, she'll forget she's a professional golfer and stay home. We can only hope.
    Amen!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 18:34
    I think Anna Kournikova should be on this list.
    But as you start forums to complain about these individuals who get publicity "who never won anything" you once again force them into the spotlight which is the exact opposite of what you claim you wish to happen.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 18:36
    Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
    But as you start forums to complain about these individuals who get publicity "who never won anything" you once again force them into the spotlight which is the exact opposite of what you claim you wish to happen.
    Great example.

And, of course, you're right. I always get nailed on that Catch-22, every time I complain about marginally-talented celebrities/athletes who are plastered everywhere.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 08:24
    From Darvlay's post, it seems he was complaining more about what the US sports media was hyping.

Why care about that? Isn't ice fishing or hockey interesting enough?

Stick to the Blue Jays, or better yet the Maple Loafs.

Anna Kournaholeya?
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 23:29
    Remember when she first played (yes, she did used to play) on national TV at Wimbledon? Every man instantly fell in love. She was stunning, But she does recieve alot of undue attention these days.

Next example: Tony Parker and Eva

If he hadnt married Eva Longoria most of the world wouldn't know his name. And on the flip side, I got sick of the tv showing her every 2 seconds during the playoff games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree