1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 03:461 edit
    I got to thinking after the national championship in college football after Florida had won, why is it that only certain states seem to dominate in the world of sports? To be specific, I am referring to California, Florida, and New York. I call them the axis of evil. I hate people who merely have opinions about sports without many facts to support them so here it goes.

In the history of 25 years of Super Bowls, there have been 25 teams in those Super Bowls from the axis of evil.

In the 103 years of the World Series there has been 86 teams from the axis of evil in those World Series.

In the 57 championships in basketball there have been 35 from the axis of evil in those championships.

In college football the phenomenon is a recent one. In the last 20 years there has been 10 winners from the axis of evil.

So there you have it. In each sport there is dominance from those three states. Why? Perhaps it is because the best players like the best weather? However, New York does not have the best of weather, therefore, I would say it is a combination of greed and good weather. Both Florida and California also have large populations and major cities as does New York to support their respective sporting teams. However, New York is the biggest of the big in terms of $$$ and big market financial support. If New York had good weather to boot, they would be unstoppable in every sport there is to play.
  2. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 20:51
    Very insightful,

Comparing the States to The U.K in terms of the major sports here, London doesn't do all that well,

Football,
    Liverpool are the most sucessful football club in England, follwed by Hissssss Man Utd, both are in what people would call less affulent areas although Manchester has become the 2nd finacial hub of the U.K over the last 15-20 years.
    I'm not a rugby man, but i believe that Wigan are the most sucessful rugby club in england, and again, they're from the North of England....
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 20:55
    Originally posted by millerman
    Very insightful,

Comparing the States to The U.K in terms of the major sports here, London doesn't do all that well,

Football,
    Liverpool are the most sucessful football club in England, follwed by Hissssss Man Utd, both are in what people would call less affulent areas although Manchester has become the 2nd finacial hub of the U.K over the last 15-2 ...[text shortened]... re the most sucessful rugby club in england, and again, they're from the North of England....
    Wigan for Rugby league - but that is a Northern sport, with southern teams only coming in since Superleague (e.g. Broncos)

Rugby Union is more southerly based (but has added Newcastle in recent times), but is still regulalry won by Leicester and the likes of Bath - so not London, although Wasps are London based and have been succesful.
  4. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 21:02
    Originally posted by rhb
    Wigan for Rugby league - but that is a Northern sport, with southern teams only coming in since Superleague (e.g. Broncos)

Rugby Union is more southerly based (but has added Newcastle in recent times), but is still regulalry won by Leicester and the likes of Bath - so not London, although Wasps are London based and have been succesful.
    Thanks for that rhb,

Never been into rugby myself......
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 21:07
    Thanks for that rhb,

Never been into rugby myself......
    Me neither - I can't stand the sports.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 11:26

Football,
    Liverpool are the most sucessful football club in England, follwed by Hissssss Man Utd, both are in what people would call less affulent areas although Manchester has become the 2nd finacial hub of the U.K over the last 15-20 years.
    There are a lot of teams in London though.

(And Arsenal haven't done too badly, to be fair!)
  7. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 11:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    I got to thinking after the national championship in college football after Florida had won, why is it that only certain states seem to dominate in the world of sports? To be specific, I am referring to California, Florida, and New York. I call them the axis of evil. I hate people who merely have opinions about sports without many facts to support them so ...[text shortened]... If New York had good weather to boot, they would be unstoppable in every sport there is to play.
    Just follow the money.😉
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 19:13
    Originally posted by monster truck
    Just follow the money.😉
    Sad but true. I think many of us follow sports to escepe the reality of such ugly truths but in the end we fail when reality invades the world of sports in such a way.
  9. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 20:14
    I got to thinking after the national championship in college football after Florida had won, why is it that only certain states seem to dominate in the world of sports? To be specific, I am referring to California, Florida, and New York. I call them the axis of evil. I hate people who merely have opinions about sports without many facts to support them so ...[text shortened]... If New York had good weather to boot, they would be unstoppable in every sport there is to play.
    All of those states also have many more teams than any other state. New York City alone has more teams than most states, 2 in each sport. The size and population of the states you mention in your axis of evil just have a much larger chance of making it to championship games just based on the laws of probability.

Take football for example

Florida - Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville
    New York - Giants, Jets (technically Jersey, but still NY) and Bills
    Cali - San Fransisco, Oakland, San Diego, used to have LA
  10. Earth Prime
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 22:13
    In the history of 25 years of Super Bowls, there have been 25 teams in those Super Bowls from the axis of evil.
    there have been 40 super bowls... and the last teams to go were in 02 when Tampa bay and Oakland met.
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 20:09
    Originally posted by Coconut
    there have been 40 super bowls... and the last teams to go were in 02 when Tampa bay and Oakland met.
    Tampa Bay is in Florida, which is in his so called "axis of evil"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree