1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    25 Dec '11 13:382 edits
    Still think the Jets are the "better team", Rex?

    That dig aside, it was a strange game filled with some questionable calls. Is the "tuck" rule still in force? I thought they reformed if after the Brady farce, but here was a call of an incomplete pass when the ball was about 3 inches from Mark Sanchez's knee and headed into his body when Justin Tuck swatted it out. If that is indeed the rule, it's an asinine one that needs to be changed.

    And what was the call on the safety that pretty much clinched the game? Sanchez wasn't brought to the ground before the ball left his hand (in fact it was completed for a short gain) yet the refs called him down. Is this some vestigial "in the grasp" rule? I thought they did away with that years ago.

    EDIT: Correction: It was the Godlike Jason Pierre-Paul who swatted the ball out on the "tuck rule" play.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    26 Dec '11 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Still think the Jets are the "better team", Rex?

    That dig aside, it was a strange game filled with some questionable calls. Is the "tuck" rule still in force? I thought they reformed if after the Brady farce, but here was a call of an incomplete pass when the ball was about 3 inches from Mark Sanchez's knee and headed into his body when Ju t was the Godlike Jason Pierre-Paul who swatted the ball out on the "tuck rule" play.
    I've seen the tuck rule called several times since the Brady game.

    In the grasp is no longer a rule like it was in the late 80s when they'd call it a sack if you breathed in the direction of a QB, but the refs still have the discretion to whistle a play dead if progress has been stopped. I have no complaints about that play. The Jets didn't deserve to win the game and they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

    There was really only once this year that I thought the Jets were good: when they went up to Buffalo and blew the Bills' doors off in October. Other than that, they've looked like an average team all year. I don't think it's Ryan's fault. I think they are just an average team. They lost several key players in the last 2 years (Shawn Ellis, Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, Damien Woody, etc.) and haven't really replaced them. They have a great secondary, decent linebackers, no pass rush, an o-line with 2 great players and three lousy ones, talented but inconsistent WRs, an average tight end, a good running back but no backup at that position and a below average QB.

    Add all of that up and you have an average team, which is what the Jets are.

    And it's not like they're one or two pieces away. They need 6 or 7 pieces (a right tackle, a deep threat, a backup running back, 2 good pass rushers and a quick linebacker) AND they need Sanchez to improve dramatically (or a new QB) before they can contend for a title.

    I still think Ryan is an excellent coach (really, take away the bluster, and his record over his first 3 seasons as a coach is quite good), but they just don't have the personnel.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    26 Dec '11 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I've seen the tuck rule called several times since the Brady game.

    In the grasp is no longer a rule like it was in the late 80s when they'd call it a sack if you breathed in the direction of a QB, but the refs still have the discretion to whistle a play dead if progress has been stopped. I have no complaints about that play. The Jets didn't deserve to win th first 3 seasons as a coach is quite good), but they just don't have the personnel.
    Was attempting 64 passes a good strategy considering the weakness the Giants have shown this year against the run? Their secondary hasn't been good either, but Saturday their pass rush was getting a lot of pressure on Sanchez but the Jets pretty much gave up on the run even though the game was close. If Sanchez is a below average QB choosing to put the game in his hands seems a bit odd.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    26 Dec '11 18:05
    Deserve or not, the Jets still have a reasonable chance at the playoffs. They need to beat Miami and have the Bengals lose (against the Ravens - probable), the Titans lose (at the Texans - very possible though HOuston hasn't played well lately) and either Denver (home against KC - not likely though possible) OR Oakland lose (home against San Diego - very possible).

    If all that happens the Jets would have a first round game in either Houston, Denver or Oakland and those games would be considered tossups.

    Of course, the Dolphins have played well since their 0-7 start and might just ruin all the Jet scenarios.

    The playoff scenario breakdowns are here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/playoff-picture-roundup-122411

    Whodey's Bengals can still make it even if they lose (Jet and either Bronco OR Raider losses).
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    26 Dec '11 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Deserve or not, the Jets still have a reasonable chance at the playoffs. They need to beat Miami and have the Bengals lose (against the Ravens - probable), the Titans lose (at the Texans - very possible though HOuston hasn't played well lately) and either Denver (home against KC - not likely though possible) OR Oakland lose (home against San Diego - very ...[text shortened]... Whodey's Bengals can still make it even if they lose (Jet and either Bronco OR Raider losses).
    Yeah, I know the scenarios. But I don't even have a good feeling about them winning at Miami. I just have no confidence in Sanchez right now. None. They'll probably be winning 13-3 and then Sanchez will throw a pick-6 and they'll give up a last minute TD to lose.

    Oh, wait, that's what happened against Denver.

    I have so much confidence in the Jets making the playoffs that I scheduled my flight for a business trip for Sunday afternoon Jan. 8 even though I could have waited until Monday morning because if the Jets aren't going to be in it, I'd rather get in a day early and relax rather than rushing to the airport Monday morning.

    Boy, am I going to feel stupid if I miss a Sunday afternoon Jets playoff game on Jan. 8. 😳
Back to Top