1. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 12:43
    i hope the NCAA starts a playoff system soon as i would by taking the top 10 teams at the end of the season and have them play each other in the new years bowl games the Sugar,Cotton,Rose, Fiesta,Orange and just play it down from here until you get a national champion it will be seattled on the field and not by some geeks with a computer as it is now
  2. Idalou
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 00:45
    i absolutely agree. the BCS rankings are only majorly computer done. what is the point of that when a lot of the best teams are left out of the mix. not so much this year but in past years, teams with perfect records were left out. luckily it may all change in 2008 when the bid runs out. so lets hope they change to something else
  3. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 03:48
    Originally posted by richfeet
    i hope the NCAA starts a playoff system soon as i would by taking the top 10 teams at the end of the season and have them play each other in the new years bowl games the Sugar,Cotton,Rose, Fiesta,Orange and just play it down from here until you get a national champion it will be seattled on the field and not by some geeks with a computer as it is now
    ok first off think! how would 10 teams in a playoff work. A lot of colleges do not want the playoff system because it would elongate the season, sending it into basketball, hurting the kid's grades and revenue from basketball. Well, have you ever noticed the 2-3 week break between conference championship games and bowl games? Why not start the EIGHT team playoff after the 'regular' season ends, not making the season any longer. Can you imagine the revenue this would generate? It seems all too simple....
  4. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 05:27
    Yes the playoff would be greatwith 8 or 10 teams starting out
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 06:08
    Originally posted by richfeet
    Yes the playoff would be greatwith 8 or 10 teams starting out
    I disagree; why have a bunch of two loss teams having a chance to upset an unbeaten? The two most deserving teams play for the championship now; what's wrong with that?
  6. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 08:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I disagree; why have a bunch of two loss teams having a chance to upset an unbeaten? The two most deserving teams play for the championship now; what's wrong with that?
    Ok, I'll bite. (I'm really hoping you're being sarcastic here, but maybe you're throwing it out just because it's in your nature to argue; there may be the slight possibility that your serious, in which case I would think you are either clueless about college football or just sincerely believe what you're saying [the latter would scare me somewhat, coming from you])

But I digress.

"I disagree; why have a bunch of two loss teams having a chance to upset an unbeaten?"

Because there are many who believe that those two loss teams can be much better than the unbeatens. Such as if either Arkansas or USC lost and had two losses and Rutgers ran the table. Many would still say that at least one of the two former was better, possibly much better, than Rutgers. Personally, I would disagree (though admittedly, I may be slightly biased.) Also, in general, the Big East doesn't get as much respect as the SEC. Many people feel that other teams/conferences are simply better with much tougher schedules. Also, tradition plays a role. Teams that are year in and year out "good" tend to have priority in the rankings over schools that come out of nowhere, such as Rutgers.

"The two most deserving teams play for the championship now; what's wrong with that?"

Ask 100 different people from all regions of the country and see if you can get even half of them to say that both teams playing in the national title game are deserving to play in it as opposed to any other team(s). The BCS ranking system itself is controversial and, (IMO) especially this year, there may be controversy over who makes it to the big one.

To me (and many others out there) a simple 8 team playoff sounds better than this BS... ehem.... I mean, BCS system, in order to determine the champion.
  7. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 08:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Ah, now I see where you're coming from (by reading another thread). It seems you favor the Scarlet Knights as well. Is RU your alma mater by any chance?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 14:09
    Originally posted by lioyank
    Ah, now I see where you're coming from (by reading another thread). It seems you favor the Scarlet Knights as well. Is RU your alma mater by any chance?
    Forget it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree