Best Deal in Baseball

Best Deal in Baseball

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by uzless
I would have said Adam Lind and Aaron Hill.

Those two must be the cheapest 1-2 punch in the majors.
I agree that Adam Lind and Aaron Hill look like a great 1-2 punch but once Toronto thought Vernon Wells and Alex Rios were can't miss guys they had to get them big contracts too.

d

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by quackquack
I agree that Adam Lind and Aaron Hill look like a great 1-2 punch but once Toronto thought Vernon Wells and Alex Rios were can't miss guys they had to get them big contracts too.
Hey man - that hurts.

On the bright side, Vernon has earned his money so far this year...

d

Moves
28 Apr 10

Vernon Wells
2010 Salary: $15,687,500

😳

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
28 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Vernon Wells

😳
Lol.

M

Moves
28 Apr 10
2 edits

Originally posted by quackquack
I agree with the fan loyalty and I agree with the discount for certainty issue.
But I think teams are extending guys and not getting enough of a discount. To me the Phillies just signed two great players (Halladay and Howard) but extended before they had to and really did not get much of a discount. If either gets hurt and there is more than just a the ...[text shortened]... extending guys undetr contract since you end up paying them close to the free agent rate anyway.
I agree -- the Howard extension is a good example of what smart teams do NOT do - they "locked him up" for $25mill for the 5 seasons (2012-16) during which he will be age 32-36. Assuming even a best case scenario, how is this going to save the Phillies money? They could've waited a couple years and still given him (or someone other stud) this kind of deal.

and experience seems to indicate that there should be a "Mo Vaughn Rule" when it comes to giving out contracts. Do NOT EVER give a really big contract to a player over 30 whose body looks like Mo Vaughn's - no matter how good his numbers may currently be.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
29 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Vernon Wells

😳
hey, he was hurt for the last 2 years. Now that he's healthy, check out his stats.