Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    11 Apr '09 02:34
    Go to games you toronto fans. Rumor has it you are going to lose the franchise if you don't.

    12,000 people at game #3 of the season? Horrible.

    Darv and Useless, start shelling out some money to save baseball in your town.



    P.S - This will never happen in Philly
  2. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    13 Apr '09 01:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Go to games you toronto fans. Rumor has it you are going to lose the franchise if you don't.

    12,000 people at game #3 of the season? Horrible.

    Darv and Useless, start shelling out some money to save baseball in your town.



    P.S - This will never happen in Philly
    The company that owns the Jays (Rogers) also owns the tv network that shows the jays games on tv. I do my part to support by watching the games on tv. How does this help?

    Simple. By watching the games on tv, the Rogers Sports channel gets more viewers on their channel during jays broadcasts. When Rogers goes to its advertisers it can point to the thousands and thousands of people that watch the games on tv and therefore charge its advertisers more money.

    Plus, if tickets weren't 60 bux and another 15 bux just for a CAN of beer then maybe i'd consider it.


    EDIT: Oh and by the way, the liquor license at the stadium was suspended for the first 3 games of the season so its not surprising attendence was that low.
  3. 14 Apr '09 13:11
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Rumor has it you are going to lose the franchise if you don't.
    Where'd you hear this rumour? In the unemployment line or the drunk tank?

    Toronto is a fickle city. If and when the team starts to win regularly, people will come.
  4. 14 Apr '09 13:11
    Originally posted by uzless
    The company that owns the Jays (Rogers) also owns the tv network that shows the jays games on tv. I do my part to support by watching the games on tv. How does this help?

    Simple. By watching the games on tv, the Rogers Sports channel gets more viewers on their channel during jays broadcasts. When Rogers goes to its advertisers it can point to the thou ...[text shortened]... s suspended for the first 3 games of the season so its not surprising attendence was that low.
    Easy on the hyperbole!
  5. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    14 Apr '09 20:54
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Easy on the hyperbole!
    my comments matched the original posts hyperbole
  6. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    15 Apr '09 00:41
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Where'd you hear this rumour? In the unemployment line or the drunk tank?

    Toronto is a fickle city. If and when the team starts to win regularly, people will come.
    It's not really a rumor, unless sportscenter is full of liars
  7. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    15 Apr '09 06:02
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    It's not really a rumor, unless sportscenter is full of liars
    team isn't going anywhere. The owners just dumped abunch of money into renovating the ballpark. The team is at the centre of their PR campaign for their tv/internet/cellphone business. They also own the ballpark. To move the team would render most of their other assets worthless.
  8. Subscriber SmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    15 Apr '09 08:40
    Originally posted by uzless
    team isn't going anywhere. The owners just dumped abunch of money into renovating the ballpark. The team is at the centre of their PR campaign for their tv/internet/cellphone business. They also own the ballpark. To move the team would render most of their other assets worthless.
    Silly Canadians, tickets are for kids!

    just kidding of course..
  9. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    15 Apr '09 17:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Silly Canadians, tickets are for kids!

    just kidding of course..
    The thing about Toronto is that, for the most part, the people that have enough money to buy tickets and fill up a 50,000 seat stadium don't buy tickets because they like baseball, or even sports in general.

    They buy tickets only when people think it's cool to go there. It's an image thing. Most affluent people wouldn't be caught dead inside the Rogers Centre. If you go to a sporting event in Toronto and you have money, you go to the Maple leaf game. If you don't have money, you go to the Toronto Football Club (soccer) game or the Toronto Rock (lacrosse).

    After the Jays won back to back titles in the early 90's, going to baseball games became boring because there was nothing to win anymore...."been there done that" syndrome.

    Toronto fans aren't sports fans. They have ADD and bore quickly. They always need something new to get excited about but that excitement dies out after a few years.

    It doesn't help that tickets are over 50 bux and beer is WAY TOO expensive. If they cut ticket prices in half and made beer 4 dollars, they'd pack the place. But they'd have to deal with the type of fans they don't want at baseball games. A bunch of drunks.