1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 May '08 20:32
    Lose some weight Tubby!

May 26 C Brian McCann left the game in the eighth inning because he was overheated. He says he was fine once he cooled down in the clubhouse, and manager Bobby Cox says McCann will start Monday's game.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 May '08 23:31
    Originally posted by uzless
    Lose some weight Tubby!

May 26 C Brian McCann left the game in the eighth inning because he was overheated. He says he was fine once he cooled down in the clubhouse, and manager Bobby Cox says McCann will start Monday's game.
    catchers the only position in baseball where you work a lot.. im surprised thats where all the fat guys are, weight doesnt have much to do with the position..
  3. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    27 May '08 04:24
    Originally posted by irontigran
    catchers the only position in baseball where you work a lot.. im surprised thats where all the fat guys are, weight doesnt have much to do with the position..
    It certainly does when you have to block the plate from scorers!!!!
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 May '08 04:361 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    i knew someone would mention that... but how many times a game does this happen? someone more atheletic would be able to do more stuff to, now and then a speedy runner will go from 1st to 3rd on a wild pitch, and when the ball is in the dirt a runner cant always see it so they would second guess taking off.. that said big guys have their place just not fat ones. 🙂

edit:btw dan wilson has the best fielding % out of all catchers all-time
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    27 May '08 04:47
    Originally posted by irontigran
    i knew someone would mention that... but how many times a game does this happen? someone more atheletic would be able to do more stuff to, now and then a speedy runner will go from 1st to 3rd on a wild pitch, and when the ball is in the dirt a runner cant always see it so they would second guess taking off.. that said big guys have their place just not fat ones. 🙂

edit:btw dan wilson has the best fielding % out of all catchers all-time
    Not meaning to be argumentative, especially with you, but catchers throughout history have generally been heavier/more squatty. A low center of gravity is needed for this position... crouching for 2 or 3 hours constantly necessitates this.

It doesn't happen where there's a collision at the plate very often, but when it does, the game is usually on the line!
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 May '08 05:24
    Just ask Busted-legs Martinez!
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 May '08 03:40
    Not meaning to be argumentative, especially with you, but catchers throughout history have generally been heavier/more squatty. A low center of gravity is needed for this position... crouching for 2 or 3 hours constantly necessitates this.

It doesn't happen where there's a collision at the plate very often, but when it does, the game is usually on the line!
    i agree with you here, more of a devils advocate from me..
    with the new knee things they have now catchers could be even bigger and still not tire as much..
  8. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    31 May '08 04:22
    Originally posted by uzless
    Lose some weight Tubby!

A catcher doesn't just sit behind the plate you know. he is constantly running up and down the field backing up third base and first base not to mention chasing pop flies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree