1. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 10:38
    Any comments on the decision by Collingwood to let the run out of Elliot stand in the England - New Zealand One Day game?

I'm in two minds about it - I can see the view that it's a competitive game and as long as it's within the rules ... I also think the 'gentlemen's game' part of cricket is a valued tradition ...

Naturally, comparisons with (NZ's) Brendon MacCallum (I know I've spelt his name wrong!) running Murali out a year or two ago will be made.

Again, I'm in two minds about this but definitely didn't like the 'bowl slow' tactic used in the last ODI ...
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 10:461 edit
    Collingwood has apologised, admitting he made the wrong decision at the time - I think most people would agree with this.

Though personally I'd have preferred the umpires to call dead ball and avoid the situation arising at all.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 10:52
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Collingwood has apologised, admitting he made the wrong decision at the time - I think most people would agree with this.

Though personally I'd have preferred the umpires to call dead ball and avoid the situation arising at all.
    I'm glad Vettori also apologised - the Black Caps can be a bit 'precious' at times.

(And are the worst team in the world to be a supporter of - besides the Auckland Warriors!! (Rugby League))
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 19:52
    http://sportal.co.nz/cricket-news-display/collingwood-hit-with-four-match-ban-51284
    Collingwood Banned for 4 matches for the slow over debacle. His second code of conduct violation.. this guy is not Captain material in Cricket..
    Umpire should be able to send off players for barging, bad sledging etc.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 08:42
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    http://sportal.co.nz/cricket-news-display/collingwood-hit-with-four-match-ban-51284
    Collingwood Banned for 4 matches for the slow over debacle. His second code of conduct violation.. this guy is not Captain material in Cricket..
    Umpire should be able to send off players for barging, bad sledging etc.
    I wish there were 'harsher' penalties for sides playing negative tactics in cricket, especially ODIs.
    These are radical, but I believe some sides take liberties and should be punished.

Things I've wanted to see for a long time are:

Run penalties.
    If your over rate falls below the alloted time and it's definitely your fault, I'd like to see runs being 'docked'. So, say your over rate is calculated as 3.3 overs over, I'd like to see penalty runs being added to the batting side's total. Something like average run rate (ARR) multiplied per over.
    So, if a side are judged to be 3.3 overs over time, the batting side would get 1*ARR + 2*ARR + (3*ARR)/(6/3)

Sliding scale wides.
    Bowlers trying to bowl negatively should be punished on some sort of sliding scale for wides.
    Keeping in the '6' theme of the game, let's say the first 6 wides are a 1 run penalty, the next 5 are 2 runs, next 4 are 3 runs etc.

Bring in the T20 no-ball rules.
    All no balls should be 1 run penalty, extra ball and free hit the next ball.

Sure, these rules may look a little skewed towards the bowlers, but I feel batsmen make one mistake and that usually means they have to go and take a shower, while bowlers can get away with making many more mistakes and even negative tactics and are not penalised enough for it.
  6. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 05:43
    Originally posted by Crowley

Sure, these rules may look a little skewed towards the bowlers,
    but I feel batsmen make one mistake and that usually means they have to go and take a shower, while bowlers can get away with making many more mistakes and even negative tactics and are not penalised enough for it.
    ...So let it be a little "skewed" towards the bowlers. Cricket has become too much a batsmans game and the bowlers need to be given a fair go too. Seriously, who'd want to be a bowler?? I'd like to see a more level playing field where the bowlers are on more equal footing.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 16:14
    The way the ODI's are now you may as well use a bowling machine and just let the batsmen go for it.
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 23:54
    I have a cricket ettiquette question.

If you accidentally spill tea on your linen pants during the interval are you required to change into clean ones?
  9. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 02:49
    Originally posted by AussieG
    ...So let it be a little "skewed" towards the bowlers. Cricket has become too much a batsmans game and the bowlers need to be given a fair go too. Seriously, who'd want to be a bowler?? I'd like to see a more level playing field where the bowlers are on more equal footing.
    Maybe raising the mound would help. Oh, and also make the strikezone a little bigger...😉

Seriously, this thread got me curious about this sport and I read up a little on it. Sounds like an interesting sport. I think I would like to watch a match, if ever I'm in an area that plays it.

np
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 09:34
    Originally posted by Red Night

If you accidentally spill tea on your linen pants during the interval are you required to change into clean ones?
    I can help you understand cricket if you want.

I know American sports are kept very simple in order to keep the fans happy between commercials, so I can empathize with your ignorance of superior sports...
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 09:39
    We need to have more balanced pitches with more in for the bowlers, but enough in them for entertainment value.

ODIs are a batsman's game because that is what younger crowds want to see. I'm sorry, but the game has evolved a little. Most fans don't want to see 150 run chases, they want to see 300+ games. T20 has made sure of that now...
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 20:17
    Originally posted by Red Night

They wear flannels in cricket but no.. not unless the stain forms the face of Christ in which case drop em and put em on ebay
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 11:43
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Maybe raising the mound would help. Oh, and also make the strikezone a little bigger...😉

Seriously, this thread got me curious about this sport and I read up a little on it. Sounds like an interesting sport. I think I would like to watch a match, if ever I'm in an area that plays it.

np
    I think there's only one part of the world that doesn't play it. (they play a game based on the schoolgirl classic "rounders" instead)
    Just move outside your own borders (any direction will do) and you'll find it easily enough.
  14. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 02:50
    Originally posted by neonpeon41

np
    If you are serious, check out

http://www.usaca.org/

Anything to convert the heathen Americans to cricket.
  15. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    09 Jul '08 18:58
    Originally posted by Crowley
    We need to have more balanced pitches with more in for the bowlers, but enough in them for entertainment value.

ODIs are a batsman's game because that is what younger crowds want to see. I'm sorry, but the game has evolved a little. Most fans don't want to see 150 run chases, they want to see 300+ games. T20 has made sure of that now...
    It is funny you say that Crowley - but actually 150 run chases seem to be much closer tense affairs. For some reason chasing batting teams seem to tense upchasing targets. This seems to be the case whatever the state of the pitch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree