Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    14 Dec '07 03:11
    Cricket handed Olympic lifeline
    Cricket has moved a step closer to returning to the Olympic Games after the International Olympic Committee provisionally recognised the sport.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/7138231.stm


    At last, one of the biggest sports in the world gets the recognition it deserves.
    Baseball, beach volleyball, mountain biking, to name but a few, are all olympic sports with a smaller supporter base than cricket, but the format cricket uses has never been something that could be included in the olympics...
    5 day tests wouldn't really work and even 50 over games puts alot of strain on players.

    The new 20/20 should work great for the olympics, as it allows quick games that don't strain players too much, meaning teams can play basically every second day, or even day after day (max 3 days probably) if the tournament format demands it.
    This shorter format also offers the 'minnow' nations a chance to take on the 'big boys'.

    Can't wait!
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    14 Dec '07 14:34
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Cricket handed Olympic lifeline
    Cricket has moved a step closer to returning to the Olympic Games after the International Olympic Committee provisionally recognised the sport.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/7138231.stm


    At last, one of the biggest sports in the world gets the recognition it deserves.
    Baseball, beach volleyball, mountain ...[text shortened]... ormat also offers the 'minnow' nations a chance to take on the 'big boys'.

    Can't wait!
    I'm often upset that I can't find Cricket anywhere on TV... but I'll run across 'footie' all the time.

    If cricket makes the olympics, and I'm watching the tube... I'll stay tuned.

    P-
  3. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    14 Dec '07 16:43
    They played Cricket in the 1900 Olympics.

    Only two teams showed up; an English team and a team of ex-pat brits working in the British Embassy in Paris to represent the French.

    England won the Gold! Woooo Hoooo.
  4. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    14 Dec '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Red Night
    They played Cricket in the 1900 Olympics.

    Only two teams showed up; an English team and a team of ex-pat brits working in the British Embassy in Paris to represent the French.

    England won the Gold! Woooo Hoooo.
    Did you have good seats?

    P-
  5. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    14 Dec '07 17:10
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Did you have good seats?

    P-
    Yeah, we had a luxury box right on the 50 yard line.
  6. Standard member lordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    16 Dec '07 00:17
    While i personally think 20/20 will destroy test cricket, its format would be good for the olympics.
    Its bright, flashy and ramdom. It doesnt go long and who wins is anyones guess.
    As Crowley said, the rest of the world would be able to learn and enjoy this form of cricket.
    The "sport" i hate at the olympics is the ribbon on a stick. I mean how dumb is that?
  7. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    16 Dec '07 00:41
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    While i personally think 20/20 will destroy test cricket, its format would be good for the olympics.
    Its bright, flashy and ramdom. It doesnt go long and who wins is anyones guess.
    As Crowley said, the rest of the world would be able to learn and enjoy this form of cricket.
    The "sport" i hate at the olympics is the ribbon on a stick. I mean how dumb is that?
    I don't think 20/20 will 'destroy' test cricket. It might kill off ODIs eventually...
    I don't know, I think they all have a place. Already, most tours includes a few tests, more ODIs and a 20/20 to kickstart things.

    What I foresee is much more specialization in the different formats and eventually the test nations will have much more differentiation in their squads.

    I just like it specifically because it gives more nations a chance to compete. The more, the merrier, eh?
  8. 16 Dec '07 12:46
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    While i personally think 20/20 will destroy test cricket, its format would be good for the olympics.
    Its bright, flashy and ramdom. It doesnt go long and who wins is anyones guess.
    It's not random though, is it? It's less predictable that Test cricket, but some teams are still managing to be consistently good at it - look at the domestic competition in England.