1. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 00:21
    Yesterday, in the 2nd between Australia and India, there were 3 really terible decisions which in hindsight, have had a big impact on the game.

1. Ricky Ponting edges a ball down the legside but was given not out.
    2. Later, Ponting clearly edged the ball into his pads but given out LBW
    3. Andrew Symonds clearly edged a ball but was given not out.

So 2 - 1 in Australia's favour - and Symonds has gone on to make 130-odd not out at stumps.

If you look at points 1 and 3 above, Ponting and Symonds were both caught behind and given not out. Alot of people are that they should have walked and by not doing so, that they are bad sports and have cheated. I believe that the batsmen are entitled to stay their ground until given out and that it's the umpires job to give the batsman out.

So I ask: Should batsmen walk if they know they're out? Or should they wait till the umpire makes his decision? Why?
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 01:102 edits
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Yesterday, in the 2nd between Australia and India, there were 3 really terible decisions which in hindsight, have had a big impact on the game.

S walk if they know they're out? Or should they wait till the umpire makes his decision? Why?
    I always walk and I believe a batsman should get his ass off the pitch if he's out.
    I believe in the 'spirit of the game' you should walk if you know you're out.

In the 'old days' a batsman could stand his ground, but with all these slow motion replays etc. you just look like an ass if you don't walk and everybody who watches the footage can see later that you were actually just lucky and a bad sportsman...

If these decisions were referred to the 3rd umpire the batsmen would have been given out?
    I rest my case about using technology...
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 01:25
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I always walk and I believe a batsman should get his ass off the pitch if he's out.
    I believe in the 'spirit of the game' you should walk if you know you're out.

In the 'old days' a batsman could stand his ground, but with all these slow motion replays etc. you just look like an ass if you don't walk and everybody who watches the footage can see later th ...[text shortened]... d umpire the batsmen would have been given out?
    I rest my case about using technology...
    In Baseball, you would never admit that you were really out. I got to think they play it the same way in Japan, Cuba, or anywhere. It is the umpires job to make a call.

If there is a rule in Cricket that you walk... you should walk. I guess you look like a jerk if you don't. In the US, you would look like a jerk if you said, "No, I'm really out on this play."

P-
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 01:35

S ...[text shortened]... walk if they know they're out? Or should they wait till the umpire makes his decision? Why?
    I think they should be chased up the green by a madman with a shotgun.

But cricket has me praying for nuclear war, so I'm probably not the most objective umpire one can muster.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 01:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    In Baseball, you would never admit that you were really out. I got to think they play it the same way in Japan, Cuba, or anywhere. It is the umpires job to make a call.

If there is a rule in Cricket that you walk... you should walk. I guess you look like a jerk if you don't. In the US, you would look like a jerk if you said, "No, I'm really out on this play."

P-
    There is no rule that you should walk - at least I think not!
    Some people, like me, consider it bad sportsmanship if you don't 'admit' to being out.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 03:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 17:27
    So I ask: Should batsmen walk if they know they're out? Or should they wait till the umpire makes his decision?
    Of course they should wait until the umpire makes his decision, umpires don't like to be shown up.

I don't know how many times I have seen a batter head to first for a walk and then have the pitch called a strike.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 18:191 edit

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 19:58
    Maybe I am just a typical American who watches baseball and does not understand cricket, so perhaps I don't quite understand the issue and if so I appologize in advance, but often the runner has no idea if he was out. In baseball the ball could be bobbled, the fielder's foot could be off the bag. Although neutrality of an umpire is certainly important, a third person not involved in a play can usually more accurately determine what actually happened.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 20:29
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Of course they should wait until the umpire makes his decision, umpires don't like to be shown up.

I don't know how many times I have seen a batter head to first for a walk and then have the pitch called a strike.
    Troll.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 21:08
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Troll.
    what does that even mean?
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 21:58
    Originally posted by jofaz
    what does that even mean?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 15:41

14. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 16:58

S ...[text shortened]... walk if they know they're out? Or should they wait till the umpire makes his decision? Why?
    yes they should always walk if they know they are out. it is a matter of honour. they will be respected by everyone for their honesty.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 16:58

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree