1. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 12:01
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Russia at No. 8 (ahead of The Czech Republic, Portugal, and England) seems high. I know they made a strong showing at Euro 2008, but are they one of the ten best in the world?

Of course, the greatest controversy lies at the foot of the rankings. Timor-Leste at 198? Preposterous! Montserrat is way better!
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 12:12
    The rankings are calculated by a formula based on results alone. It's more of a measure of recent form than actual quality of the teams. Russia has definitely been in a better form than Portugal. 😞
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 14:04
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The rankings are calculated by a formula based on results alone. It's more of a measure of recent form than actual quality of the teams. Russia has definitely been in a better form than Portugal. 😞
    i meant to ask you about portugal...whats going on? was the brazilian that much of an influence? i mean getting beat 3-2 at home to denmark is just wrong.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 16:01
    Originally posted by trev33
    i meant to ask you about portugal...whats going on? was the brazilian that much of an influence? i mean getting beat 3-2 at home to denmark is just wrong.
    What can I say? It's Portuguese football at it's best.

We played some of the most beautiful football I've seen us play recently. We had an unbelievable amount of chances, wasted them like only we and Arsenal can and still scored 2.

And then brain-freeze in the final minutes and Denmark score 2 to win. 😞
  5. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 16:14
    FIFA rankings are always a joke. However, I believe that they are actually one of the tie breaking criteria if teams finish level on group play!
  6. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 16:32
    Originally posted by MrHand
    FIFA rankings are always a joke. However, I believe that they are actually one of the tie breaking criteria if teams finish level on group play!
    Obviously they're a joke if the might Montseratt is treated so shabbily! On a more serious, I don't put much stock in them; I just think they can make for good discussion from time to time.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 17:04
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Russia at No. 8 (ahead of The Czech Republic, Portugal, and England) seems high. I know they made a strong showing at Euro 2008, but are they one of the ten best in the world?

Of course, the greatest controversy lies at the foot of the rankings. Timor-Leste at 198? Preposterous! Montserrat is way better!
    how are n. ireland sitting above belgium, norway and slovenia. ludicrous.

and peru in the top 100 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree