1. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 May '08 03:52
    After a road win over America from Mexico by 4-2, Flamengo could loose the home game by 2-0 and still classify for the next round of the Libertadores Cup.

Flamengo have just won the Rio State Championship. It was the last game of coah Joel Santana that is going to coach South Africa for the 2010 world Cup, the party was already set...

América is currently the worst team of the Mexican national league... and what a shame! What a ridiculous game by Flamengo! America won by 3-0 playing in Rio. Probably the worst tragedy of Maracanã stadium since Uruguay defeating Brazil in the 1950 World Cup.

3-0 is simply ridiculous!

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=zdsNs3SF-XM&feature=related
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 May '08 07:39
    Originally posted by monteirof
    After a road win over America from Mexico by 4-2, Flamengo could loose the home game by 2-0 and still classify for the next round of the Libertadores Cup.

Flamengo have just won the Rio State Championship. It was the last game of coah Joel Santana that is going to coach South Africa for the 2010 world Cup, the party was already set...

América is cu ...[text shortened]... Cup.

3-0 is simply ridiculous!

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=zdsNs3SF-XM&feature=related
    did they play just to defend the lead? always a bad idea in my books, when teams with a 1st leg lead sit back in the 2nd leg.
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 May '08 09:261 edit
    just had a look at that youtube link, some great saves by the America keeper
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 May '08 11:04
    Originally posted by spurs73
    just had a look at that youtube link, some great saves by the America keeper
    The save from the header in the 1st half was reminiscent of Gordon Banks' save from Pele at the 1970 World Cup...
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 May '08 16:00
    Originally posted by spurs73
    did they play just to defend the lead? always a bad idea in my books, when teams with a 1st leg lead sit back in the 2nd leg.
    They probably thought America was already dead and the game was just going to be a formality. Flamengo was partying the recent title for the whole week, they made tons of goodbye cerymonies for their coach... they just forgot that they still would have to play America.

The fans were very confident in winning the title (Flamengo only won Libertadores once in 1981, lead by Zico). To lose like that is just a tragedy. But I think they deserved for not being focused in this game.

America's goalkeeper had two great saves, but that is all. Flamengo was poor atacking and ridiculous defending (you dont suffer a goal in a counter-attack when you have such a big advantage). And, of course, America played very well.
  6. Santiago
    Moves
    09 May '08 16:41
    Compare this to River´s demise.

They were down 2-1 to San Lorenzo in the first leg. The return was in the Monumental Stadium. San Lorenzo had two players sent off and River were a head 2-0 (3-2 on aggregate). Then San Lorenzo with 9 againsy 11 scored twice.

River then had a man sent off, but the score remained the same with San Lorenzo going through 4-3 on aggregate.

Great Stuff.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree